Guidelines for Help Posts

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I thought it might be useful to establish some guidelines about what to include when asking for help about jailbreak issues, including the process itself, jb apps, themes, and so on.

Providing the following will make it much more likely that someone will be able to solve your problem:

iPhone model (3G, 3GS, iP4, Verizon iP4)
Firmware: 4.1, 4.2.6, etc
Baseband: see Settings for modem firmware; mostly important for unlocks but also the cause of some restore errors.
Cydia Apps: A list of your installed apps can be invaluable in isolating conflicts. Recent changes and installations are often the most important to note.

Adding this info to your questions will make it much easier for others to help solve your issues.

Reactions: anon(5335877)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Nobody (the people who should) reads the stickies or we wouldn't even be having the discussion. lol

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Nobody (the people who should) reads the stickies or we wouldn't even be having the discussion. lol

You know what we need? Whenever a new user tries to start a new thread, we need a pop up that asks:

"Did you read the stickies?"

With option 1: Yes, Option 2: No.

Then another one:

"How about a search?"

And the same options.

Then:

"Are you sure?"

Same options.

And then:

"Are you REALLY sure?"

Same.

And:

"Stop lying, we know you didn't."

Option 1: Okay, okay, I lied. I'll go read them now.
Option 2: How dare you accuse me of lying!

Once they make it through, they get to post their thread. And well, if they obviously didn't read... PERMA-BAN.

ajonesma

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
You know what we need? Whenever a new user tries to start a new thread, we need a pop up that asks:

"Did you read the stickies?"

With option 1: Yes, Option 2: No.

Then another one:

"How about a search?"

And the same options.

Then:

"Are you sure?"

Same options.

And then:

"Are you REALLY sure?"

Same.

And:

"Stop lying, we know you didn't."

Option 1: Okay, okay, I lied. I'll go read them now.
Option 2: How dare you accuse me of lying!

Once they make it through, they get to post their thread. And well, if they obviously didn't read... PERMA-BAN.

Thats a good one! because we know most members of this forum do not search, I read the stickies, but usually dont search

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
most people do not read sticky threads-fact of life, same goes for searching.. we live in a "need it now society" thus is the reason why there are several duplicate threads. it is the only way an individual can get a quick and direct response in hopes to solve their issue

also, in other forums when you join typically you will receive the "welcome" message that will sometimes also include where to start, how to search blah-blah-blah.. yeah, does not work either

i do not see this changing. ever

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I know we're totally off topic here now, but I feel compelled to add to this. Just further proof that it will not change any time soon - my high school students, who do not bother reading pages that are assigned, because they figure they will be discussed in class the following day. And why bother studying for a test when they know that even if they fail they'll get another chance, so just wait until someone hands them the answers.

Why would anyone do the work on his/her own to find the answers he/she needs when they can get them from someone else. This is why I'll do the search and hand them 3 links before I'll bother giving them an answer. I won't tell them to search, but it's a way of at least making them follow the search without just handing them the end result!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Alli, from my experience with you around here i can completely see you doing exactly what you have described and that is wonderful! i'm afraid "Learned helplessness" is something bigger than most people know and with teachers like yourself at the front line will hopefully help eliminate this "epidemic" lol

it's funny, when humans are given a chance and the proper tools on how to do something on their own they end up surprising themselves. all we can do is hope they pass it on to the next person :)

regarding this place, or others, all one can do is be patient and help as much as humanily possible :D

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, also off topic, but what's the consensus here regarding bumping an old thread or starting a new one?

Would it be better to just reply to an existing thread that hasn't seen a post since 6 months ago? Or to create a new thread?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal