iPhone 3GS Unlock and Baseband Questions

wboyle3

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
So I own a iPhone 4 and am helping my friend get his iPhone 3GS working on T-mo. I used Pwnage Tool 4.3 to create the custom firmware and now his phone is jailbroken but I cannot figure out how exactly to unlock it. I did install the source for Ultrasn0w which one of my friends said was how you are supposed to be able to unlock it.

If anyone is able to help me out in any way I would be very appreciative :)

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
So I own a iPhone 4 and am helping my friend get his iPhone 3GS working on T-mo. I used Pwnage Tool 4.3 to create the custom firmware and now his phone is jailbroken but I cannot figure out how exactly to unlock it. I did install the source for Ultrasn0w which one of my friends said was how you are supposed to be able to unlock it.

If anyone is able to help me out in any way I would be very appreciative :)

What baseband is the phone on right now?

wboyle3

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Anyway that I could downgrade it? Or any website that I could watch so that I could know when that unlock is ready?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You could go to the iPad baseband on a 3Gs and you would be able to unlock. However IMO it's a big Pain in the A$$ so especially on a 3Gs I would say not to do it. Is the phone still under warranty? If it isn't then I would say do the iPad baseband and unlock. You can find it on iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials look in the tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak and look for the method I think it's with Redsn0w that you do it. The phone will NEVER be able to run firmware other than custom firmware. So your friend will never be able to upgrade to official firmware. You will always have to make a custom firmware for the phone. If the phone isn't under warranty though that wont matter and that is the only time I would recommend you doing it. Also somewhere I read that when you're doing a T-Mo phone you need to turn off 3G so make sure you do that.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
You could go to the iPad baseband on a 3Gs and you would be able to unlock. However IMO it's a big Pain in the A$$ so especially on a 3Gs I would say not to do it. Is the phone still under warranty? If it isn't then I would say do the iPad baseband and unlock. You can find it on iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials look in the tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak and look for the method I think it's with Redsn0w that you do it. The phone will NEVER be able to run firmware other than custom firmware. So your friend will never be able to upgrade to official firmware. You will always have to make a custom firmware for the phone. If the phone isn't under warranty though that wont matter and that is the only time I would recommend you doing it. Also somewhere I read that when you're doing a T-Mo phone you need to turn off 3G so make sure you do that.

Yup, I had to do that with my phone. I don't mind the custom firmware part, since I'm #TeamJailbreak, but I'm pretty sure it broke my GPS (yeah, I read the warning, but to me phone calls + texts > GPS). It rarely ever finds my exact location, even in Google Maps. It always has the blue dot with the big circle around me. Only once in a while it'll find my exact location in Google Maps.

And in any other app (I tried using apps that will use the GPS to give you your speed), it just won't work.