iPad 1 Jailbreak questions before the plunge

Ausey

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

First off, i'm using OSX 10.6.7 with a 1st Gen iPad 16GB, and this will be my first jailbreak.
Just wanted to ask a quick one here to make sure i've read right...

The thing thats stopping me from taking the plunge is that my girlfriend uses bakery story and city story a lot on my iPad and i use note taker HD quite a bit. What i don't want is for my notes and her progress to be affected by me jailbreaking.

If i restore from a back-up right after jailbreaking, will my iPad have all the game progress, and nitty gritty bits of my iTunes apps just as i left them?

Also, if i update out of my JB to the next apple release, will i keep all my iTunes app's progress?

Cheers,
Austin

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I would suggest to you to use pwnage tool to do the JB since you're on a Mac. When you're about to begin do a backup, sync and transfer purchases. The backup saves all your data so yes once the JB is complete do a restore and you should get all your progress and data back just like before. I can't say with absolute certainty though so maybe wait for someone else to confirm it. I have never used redsn0w, if it's anything like Greenpois0n the JB wont reload the OS so your data would all remain intact.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I would suggest to you to use pwnage tool to do the JB since you're on a Mac. When you're about to begin do a backup, sync and transfer purchases. The backup saves all your data so yes once the JB is complete do a restore and you should get all your progress and data back just like before. I can't say with absolute certainty though so maybe wait for someone else to confirm it. I have never used redsn0w, if it's anything like Greenpois0n the JB wont reload the OS so your data would all remain intact.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you want to do, but if you restore a backup over your jailbreak you will go back to stock iOS.. you want to get you iPad all set up with the latest iOS (4.3.1) and backed up (by plugging it into iTunes) then run the jailbreak. The JB will not effect your data... everything will be the same as before and you can still sync to iTunes as normal. If you want to get rid of the JB you do a restore via iTunes and load your latest backup and as long as nothing goes wrong everything will be back to where you left it -- minus the JB -- even when Apple releases the next version of iOS.

I used Redsn0w for this latest release and it worked fine and was pretty easy as far as walking me through the process.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
There are two types of restores, when you reload an OS it asks if you want to setup as new or restore from your backup. When you want to reload the firmware in iTunes you can hit restore and it will restore you to default settings. Most JP tools don't reload the firmware but some do so I'm just trying to give all the info so the user can decide what they want to do.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2