If the title was a little confusing, I mean if I make a backup of a jailbroken iPhone, would it be safe to put it back on an unjailbroken iPhone?
    03-28-2011 02:19 AM
    If the title was a little confusing, I mean if I make a backup of a jailbroken iPhone, would it be safe to put it back on an unjailbroken iPhone?
    I can't speak from experience, but I wouldn't say its unsafe... but it can cause issues later on.

Hopefully someone who's actually tried it can comment on it.
    03-28-2011 02:23 AM
    I CAN speak from experience. It's safe. I have never had a problem. And I have done it with every iphone since the 3G
    03-28-2011 11:52 AM
    I've done it several times with no problems. Since JB apps don't get backed up via iTunes they are not a part of the restore process.
    03-28-2011 01:46 PM
    Speaking of apps, can a jb phone run the apps from iTunes?
    03-28-2011 02:53 PM
    it is safe, however, you may find you have missing storage space since the iTunes backup appears to backup some directories involved with the jailbreak, including folders that contain Winterboard themes and files.
    03-28-2011 02:58 PM
    Speaking of apps, can a jb phone run the apps from iTunes?
    You mean normal app store apps? Yes.
    03-28-2011 02:58 PM
    JB phone runs just like any normal phone it does EVERYTHING a normal iPhone does. It's the normal iPhone that can't do any of the things a JB phone can do. The backup doesn't backup the firmware just media and settings so yes it is safe to restore but like someone said you may find that you have less space than you expect.
    03-28-2011 04:25 PM
    Don't know if this is the right place for this question, but....
    I just purchased an iPad (1st gen) and did an immediate backup on iTunes - no problem there. However, I downloaded/updated the firmware to iOS 4.3.1 from 3.2.xx. Sorry that I did since there is no untethered JB yet (am I impatient???). I found a 4.2.1 download and thought there was a way via restore to install that firmware:
    1) is that an option?
    2) Does "backup" and "restore" save the firmware? I.e. if I did a "restore" from my original backup, will I be back on the 3.2.xx firmware version?
    3) Can I use iTunes to install the 4.2.1 IPSW file that I downloaded? Will that work or is there some other glitch?

Any info would be most appreciated.
    Last edited by Mistered45; 03-31-2011 at 03:19 PM.
    03-31-2011 03:05 PM
    1) not an option. You should have jailbroken on 3.x and used tiny umbrella to backup your ssh blobs or waited until cydia automatically backed them up.

2) No. Backup does not backup firmware only settings. And you cannot restore to a previous firmware unless you followed 1).
    mistered45 likes this.
    03-31-2011 03:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD