Any statement from MyWi?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I know carriers are independent of what we're discussing here. I think you guys get what I was trying to say. They need to work with their customers since really that is the hand that feeds them. So be fair to both the service and the receiver. So like you guys said the unlimited plan would remain unlimited for headsets while the tethering plan would have a 5GB cap and give the users the first two or three months free for switching from unlimited. So they would be fair to both sides while pulling in cash and new customers as customers would be alot happier and recommend it to others. There ofcourse be those who the cap for tethering isn't enough and they would continue to use the unlimited plan. So at that point without warning they could just simply move them to the tethering plan as punishment. The analogy currently is more like paying $20 for pizza and when you get there it's not sliced up and they want you to pay $15 just to slice up the same pizza you already paid for. The people who defend the carriers, again I have to say it's attitudes like that why carriers charge what they want. The attitude of well you always have the option of not using a cellphone or going to the competition who charges exactly the same thing. It just frustrates me to see that people aren't willing to stand up for fair treatment for everyone.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
not as much as here... im a member of a few other forums with over 3000 posts and only seen it ONCE...

I was a mod on Crackberry for 2 years. We had more come in there. Just that site was so busy with many different forums within that forum it was hardly noticeable. Like I said above, just report it. We'll get it handled

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
i was a mod on crackberry for 2 years. We had more come in there. Just that site was so busy with many different forums within that forum it was hardly noticeable. Like i said above, just report it. We'll get it handled

10...............4 :)

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
This

ATT should have made clear what they meant instead of 'throwing' a word out like UNLIMITED. ATT is a BIG company with a top paid legal team. Maybe ( i say that smugly) they should have used a different word other than UNLIMITED.

If True Value charged you $20/month to enter their store and you could have UNLIMITED products for that $20/month deal, would you take it?
IF you would take it, wouldnt you use a shopping cart to help you get your products out to your truck? Yeah you probably would.

But like I said earlier, this will give many the chance to get out of their contract and probably with an iphone they only paid $199/$299 for instead of full price. Then they could sell that ATT iphone for what they paid and sign up on a Verizon UNLIMITED plan with a $199/$299 iphone.

Sorry, but this seems like a very silly argument. The technology to tether the iPhone to another device did not exist when AT&T created the "Unlimited" data plan... again, for use with the iPhone itself, not something else. By your logic, music companies should have put a disclaimer on the back of LPs that said they are not allowed to be converted to mp3 for use on portable devices. How or why would an organization know to put in their terms of service something that didn't exist?!?! In fact, however, they anticipated the potential and indicated in the TOS that the use of data is for the device itself. It's shocking how many people in our society use arguments like "big bad AT&T makes so much money" or "why didn't they specifically say every and all possible restrictions to include not using MyWi". Not only does the TOS say it's not allowed, but it's clearly in violation of the spirit of the TOS. Disappointing how often people seem to be looking for loopholes to explain obviously self-motivated behavior rather than putting the same energy into doing what is right for the larger community or considering the impact on others. People breaking rules and pushing limits is part of what ultimately drives companies to make stricter rules and tighter limits... that and corporate greed :D

When I did my tour in Afghanistan (where internet connectivity sucks the big one compared to what they had and still have in Iraq), my wife and I did something totally crazy... we paid for internet service so we could email and, on a very lucky day when the moons aligned, see each others faces for a few minutes on Skype. But, we're nuts like that :rolleyes:

While I'm on a soapbox (someone get me off this thing :eek:)... as said previously, I'd bet my left butt cheek (or my right one for that matter) there won't be any easy "out" of the contract because you don't like the fact that you are being held to the rules that you signed a contract to follow. I may be wrong, though I don't think I am. But, good luck with that.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but this seems like a very silly argument. The technology to tether the iPhone to another device did not exist when AT&T created the "Unlimited" data plan... again, for use with the iPhone itself, not something else. By your logic, music companies should have put a disclaimer on the back of LPs that said they are not allowed to be converted to mp3 for use on portable devices. How or why would an organization know to put in their terms of service something that didn't exist?!?! In fact, however, they anticipated the potential and indicated in the TOS that the use of data is for the device itself. It's shocking how many people in our society use arguments like "big bad AT&T makes so much money" or "why didn't they specifically say every and all possible restrictions to include not using MyWi". Not only does the TOS say it's not allowed, but it's clearly in violation of the spirit of the TOS. Disappointing how often people seem to be looking for loopholes to explain obviously self-motivated behavior rather than putting the same energy into doing what is right for the larger community or considering the impact on others. People breaking rules and pushing limits is part of what ultimately drives companies to make stricter rules and tighter limits... that and corporate greed :D

When I did my tour in Afghanistan (where internet connectivity sucks the big one compared to what they had and still have in Iraq), my wife and I did something totally crazy... we paid for internet service so we could email and, on a very lucky day when the moons aligned, see each others faces for a few minutes on Skype. But, we're nuts like that :rolleyes:

While I'm on a soapbox (someone get me off this thing :eek:)... as said previously, I'd bet my left butt cheek (or my right one for that matter) there won't be any easy "out" of the contract because you don't like the fact that you are being held to the rules that you signed a contract to follow. I may be wrong, though I don't think I am. But, good luck with that.

Man, I wish you'd get "off the fence" and tell us how you really feel about it! :)

Seriously, man, THANK YOU for your service... THANK YOU for fighting to protect our right to even be having this discussion...

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Man, I wish you'd get "off the fence" and tell us how you really feel about it! :)

Seriously, man, THANK YOU for your service... THANK YOU for fighting to protect our right to even be having this discussion...

Yeah, I got kinda wound up on that one :p Maybe I should stop after my 8th Red Bull :confused: And, you are more than welcome... that's what I signed up for 14 years ago and no regrets! Thanks to you as well, Hank, for all the feedback you put forth on this issue. I've seen so many threads on this general theme over the past few years and I imagine it will be never-ending. But, there's no reason we can't have a good, ol' fashion verbal "battle royal" over the whole thing, now is there? :D

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I did my time for the Gov't too. Joined up in 1984, and decided I wanted to become a civilian again in 1985. Sure wish I would have stayed long enough to retire. Didn't put much thought into it THEN. Hindsight is 20-20, right??

Back to the subject at hand. Any of us who tether, yes I do, are breaking the rules. I am aware of that, and I am taking a risk I know. But I do try to be reasonable about it. I have yet to have a combined usage of 4GB with my tethering and handset combined. I even have a Palm Pre Plus that legally gives you 5GB of free tethering. Even when I used that, I never came close to the 5. But 30GB in a month???

To quote Chris Carter and the crew at ESPN on NFL Primetime.....C'MON MAN!!!!

hbcbob573

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Then what about me? These last 22 days I have used over 3gb of data, and only tethered probably about 800-900mb of that. The rest is from the phone itself. I just recieved a text from AT&T about the tethering needing a data plan. So why didn't they come after me a couple months ago when I tethered a bunch and racked up 12gb. I can't believe that they have the tech to decern between tethering and regular data usage from the phone itself.

That being said, unlimited means, UNLIMITED. I just wish Sprint got better service in my area, because they seem to be the fairest wireless company around. Like Dan Hesse said, unlimited is supposed to be unlimited, without any data caps, throttling speeds or any other nonsense that those crooks deem "necessary" to control how their data is transferred. I refuse to believe that data is that expensive to transfer. Now I understand that they need much more money to continue to build their network, so how about getting it from those who decide to upgrade every year, or every six months, and stop punishing us who upgrade phones less frequently.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
So why didn't they come after me a couple months ago when I tethered a bunch and racked up 12gb. I can't believe that they have the tech to decern between tethering and regular data usage from the phone itself.

Maybe they're just catching up to you since you racked up 12gb previously??

I've said it before, but my ONLY problem with all of this is that AT&T wants to take my unlimited plan AND charge me more money. I'd happily give up unlimited for a 4GB (2/2) cap for the $30 that I now pay, OR pay $45 for unlimited tethering. Other than that...GIVE ME A BREAK! :mad:

I'm not at all happy about it, but I get it. Especially when put like this:

The technology to tether the iPhone to another device did not exist when AT&T created the "Unlimited" data plan...

And another THANK YOU from me @talkin73.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods