Any statement from MyWi?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hank, I agree completely. I'm simply stating that AT&T started by offering an unlimited plan and now offering a limited plan either 250MB, 2GB, or 4GB with tethering. So my question is this, "what happen to the Unlimited Plan and when did unlimited mean a 5GB cap?" I'm not trying to fight the system, just trying to understand why I might be force into a plan that I don't use (tethering) and taken off the so called unlimited plan.

I can't tell you when or how 5GB = 'unlimited'... THAT's not right, but I haven't come close (hit 2GB twice in the past year on my 'unlimited' plan)... but my point to all of this is the terms clearly state that tethering is not included as acceptable behavior under the terms of AT&T's contract... and for those crying "foul" about the amount of data that they are using are missing the point... tethering is not included, so their whole argument is moot.

Finally, I am not intending to "pass judgement" on anyone... but you can't cry about the data limits if your aren't following the rules....

Last edited:

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I doubt the devs for MyWi would respond to AT&T, you're JBing so even though you pay for the data you're still in the wrong. Just like when Apple impliments changes to thwart JBers same concept. I'm not sure the devs could change it because as far as I've read they are reading the way your data is being transferred and the amount to determine that you are tethering without the plan. So I'm not sure how the dev would be able to change the way the data is accessed.

I dont know the answer to this, I am just asking. But is it really wrong?

I thought Apple already lost a lawsuit that said it is legal to jailbreak your phone.

Is there anything in the ATT contract that says you can not use 3rd party apps? Is there anything that specifically says you can not use MyWi?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The courts have ruled that it is legal to jailbreak and install any software on your phone that you want. However, Apple is not obligated to support such a device.

The issue of tethering is a completely different matter. AT&T's contract states that it is not permitted under the terms of the contract. AT&T further has a provision for tethering which it will allow, but under specified conditions - namely, you must forfeit the unlimited data plan and subscribe to a tethering plan (at additional cost). That is totally and completely legal and enforceable.

Jailbreaking is legal, but installing and using software to circumvent terms of a contract is wrong, on both moral and legal grounds. IF the carrier can prove that you are doing so (and there appears to be evidence that they can via TTL settings, etc) you have no ground to stand on...

Jailbreaking and circumventing tethering contract limitations are two different things, and not at all related except that you currently must be jailbroken in order to install the software that allows you to circumvent the contract limitations.

This, obviously, is my opinion... I am NOT a lawyer and I don't play one on TV. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so YMMV.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Even when you run MyWi it clearly states that you should check the terms of your carrier license and that they are not responsible.

BigLan

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Watching TV on my iPad (yes I tether via MyWi for surfing but I also pay AT&T $25/mo for the 2GB - so my tethering is using Verizon, but my watching TV is AT&T)...So, watching a 3 hour show eats up about 350MB. If I watched a 3 hour show every day, that would come out to just a little over 10GB a month. So to use 30GB, he must be watching TV 8-10 hours a day. I call that excessive.

You pay AT&T $25 for data only not for Tethering (your own words). So AT&T wants their cut so they can address what is excessive by the cap. This is what Hank and I are agreeing on, that if you tether by way of your JB app it's not acceptable by AT&T's contract you signed. So what I'm saying is this, "if Woody's friend has an Unlimited plan what's the problem?" Unlimited data should be unlimited, and not cap. I DON'T TETHER and shouldn't be made to have a tethered plan that I don't use and be cap when I paid for an unlimited plan. Again my point is that there should be no excessive use on an unlimited plan.

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Again my point is that there should be no excessive use on an unlimited plan.
This

ATT should have made clear what they meant instead of 'throwing' a word out like UNLIMITED. ATT is a BIG company with a top paid legal team. Maybe ( i say that smugly) they should have used a different word other than UNLIMITED.

If True Value charged you $20/month to enter their store and you could have UNLIMITED products for that $20/month deal, would you take it?
IF you would take it, wouldnt you use a shopping cart to help you get your products out to your truck? Yeah you probably would.

But like I said earlier, this will give many the chance to get out of their contract and probably with an iphone they only paid $199/$299 for instead of full price. Then they could sell that ATT iphone for what they paid and sign up on a Verizon UNLIMITED plan with a $199/$299 iphone.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Verizon with my cell service and my iPhone 4. I have unlimited data. I do tether for light surfing and checking email on my iPad. I don't tether 30GB a month because technically I am not supposed to be tethering. So when you tether, you have to be cool about it, IMO. It's like speeding. It's ok to do a few MPH over the limit. But don't think a cop will let you get away with driving 130MPH.

So when I want to stream data, I revert to my 2GB 3G play I am legally paying for, which goes through AT&T's network. Since I have unlimited on the phone itself, I have no problem in using any amount I choose. But 30GB a month means you are either sleeping or streaming video. Someone needs to get out more :)

BigLan

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Verizon with my cell service and my iPhone 4. I have unlimited data. I do tether for light surfing and checking email on my iPad. I don't tether 30GB a month because technically I am not supposed to be tethering. So when you tether, you have to be cool about it, IMO. It's like speeding. It's ok to do a few MPH over the limit. But don't think a cop will let you get away with driving 130MPH.

So when I want to stream data, I revert to my 2GB 3G play I am legally paying for, which goes through AT&T's network. Since I have unlimited on the phone itself, I have no problem in using any amount I choose. But 30GB a month means you are either sleeping or streaming video. Someone needs to get out more :)

We don't know if he's getting out or not. He might be. That shouldn't matter, that's what unlimited means. My Internet is connected 24/7 being I'm home or not, that's what I paid for. If my ISP were to cap me on that data knowing I signed a contract for unlimited access, I would be upset. AT&T has just started it's tethering plan and going after heavy users assuming they might tethering. There're deciding what's excessive on unlimited plans and capping it at 4GB. Heavy use might not be tethering, just unlimited data usage. So in your example "it's like speeding"; It's more like the speed limit is 70, I'm going 70, and get a speeding ticket for going 40 miles over the limit. Where was the sign for the limit being 30; there isn't one. WHAT?!!

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
He's getting what he paid for, on the handset - unlimited. What he is doing, is tethering a huge amount of data. And he isn't paying for that. Is that hard for anyone to comprehend, or am I missing something here?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
He's getting what he paid for, on the handset - unlimited. What he is doing, is tethering a huge amount of data. And he isn't paying for that. Is that hard for anyone to comprehend, or am I missing something here?

No. But there are those people who think tethering is part of "unlimited on the handset".

Tethering a handset is not intended nor should it be used as a replacement for a DSL or cable home or business internet connection. If one is using it as such, they should pay for it as such at the very least.

My $0.02

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Yup, I understood that in the first post, icy... I agree - it's not that difficult of a concept to comprehend...

:confused:

BigLan

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Anyone who's using a JB app for tether isn't paying for it and that's the point with AT&T. They want you to pay them for ANY tethering you might do. But IMO, if you have a capped plan it wouldn't matter because if you go over they'll simply bill you anyway for the overage. Be it 4GB, 10GB, or 30GB.

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I think it is so friggin stupid when I hear people complaining about their smartphone data being unlimited, so they should be able to tether. The data plan that we pay for for smartphones is obviously just for the data on the smartphone, NOT for tethering. So, if we jail break to go around/break the rules, then we are wrong, NOT the carrier. With that being said, if people didn't abuse the jb tethering, we wouldn't even be discussing this right now.

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Anyone who's using a JB app for tether isn't paying for it and that's the point with AT&T. They want you to pay them for ANY tethering you might do. But IMO, if you have a capped plan it wouldn't matter because if you go over they'll simply bill you anyway for the overage. Be it 4GB, 10GB, or 30GB.

I disagree

You are paying for a service. internet access.

I dont see any difference then any of these following examples

Paying for cable tv, but watching it on two different televisions in the house

Paying for internet and using a router so you can hook up your laptop

buying a movie on itunes and watching it on a device other then the computer that you downloaded it on.

streaming music from your computer via apple tv, so you can listen in other rooms

all of these examples are buying a service, and using it in a differnt way then originally intended.

and all of these examples are legal

I also just read my ATT contract and sevice agreement. There is nothing listed that says I can not use 3rd party apps or that I can not tether my data to other devices.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry to say that it's this attitude of I have to live by the rules why the carriers can r4pe us without conscience. The problem here is two wrongs don't make a right so to simply say these people are breaking the rules so it's ok for the carrier to charge us extra to access the same data you already pay for just in a different way. It is ridiculous, just to pay extra to access via tether. It costs the carriers way less than they charge to provide the bandwidth otherwise they wouldn't do it, it costs way less to provide text messaging and yet we all pay 100x what it costs them to provide the service. So first off unlimited should mean unlimited, this would be considered false advertising if anyone else did it but it's the carriers so any caps that are imposted well that's just the way it works:confused: Yes you are right that you pay for unlimited data on the handset but tethering is an option that has been around for how long now? here in Canada the carriers provide tethering for free so why does AT&T which I would say is a bigger company feel they need to charge for it? In order to really be fair it would have been a whole different story to say people who are using MyWi we know who you are and you have the chance to switch to a tethering plan that will have a 5GB cap and if they want to charge for tethering then we're going to give you 3 months free to get accustomed to the new plan.

Last edited:

wcarlson40#IM

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't matter if we think it's morally wrong or unfair for the carriers to charge extra for tethering. The bottom line, is that they have decided that there is an additional charge for tethering. If we don't like it, there is always a choice. You can go to another carrier, or stop tethering for free. And if no carriers offer free tethering, you always have the freedom to start your own wireless company ;) We'll all sign up for free tethering when you do!

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I think one thing to take into consideration is the amount of traffic a network can comfortably handle. Iph mentioned if Canadian carriers can do it, AT&T should be able to give it for free as well. I would think the volume would crush AT&T's network. Service in some areas is already bad enough, and if everyone had unlimited tethering it would get worse. So they offer 2GB for a fee. To some, 2GB is alot, but to others it isn't. I'd like to see 2GB of free tethering, 3GB at maybe $10, and 5GB at $20, or something along those lines. Plus, unlimited on the handset. This crap about paying for cable but watching it on 2 TV's is a poor analogy because that signal is coming via a cable, and not via cellphone spectrum.

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I disagree

You are paying for a service. internet access.

I dont see any difference then any of these following examples

Paying for cable tv, but watching it on two different televisions in the house

Paying for internet and using a router so you can hook up your laptop

buying a movie on itunes and watching it on a device other then the computer that you downloaded it on.

streaming music from your computer via apple tv, so you can listen in other rooms

all of these examples are buying a service, and using it in a differnt way then originally intended.

and all of these examples are legal

I also just read my ATT contract and sevice agreement. There is nothing listed that says I can not use 3rd party apps or that I can not tether my data to other devices.

with this being said..

wcarlson...
It doesn't matter if we think it's morally wrong or unfair for the carriers to charge extra for tethering. The bottom line, is that they have decided that there is an additional charge for tethering. If we don't like it, there is always a choice. You can go to another carrier, or stop tethering for free. And if no carriers offer free tethering, you always have the freedom to start your own wireless company We'll all sign up for free tethering when you do!

I guess you take sides with big business ability to alter their contracts. Or better yet, add context to an existing contract that does not exist in that contract otherwise.:confused:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I think one thing to take into consideration is the amount of traffic a network can comfortably handle. Iph mentioned if Canadian carriers can do it, AT&T should be able to give it for free as well. I would think the volume would crush AT&T's network. Service in some areas is already bad enough, and if everyone had unlimited tethering it would get worse. So they offer 2GB for a fee. To some, 2GB is alot, but to others it isn't. I'd like to see 2GB of free tethering, 3GB at maybe $10, and 5GB at $20, or something along those lines. Plus, unlimited on the handset. This crap about paying for cable but watching it on 2 TV's is a poor analogy because that signal is coming via a cable, and not via cellphone spectrum.

Further, the 2TV analogy is not relavent because most cable companies allow it under their ToS... same for the broadband service/router analogy... typically ISPs have an "allowed but not supported" approach to that one.

The issue really is about data usage/network load/traffic... so the simplest solution is to cap the data plans with realistic caps that are stated as cap limits (not "unlimited" that is capped at 5GB, for example)... if you have a 5GB plan, allow you to use 5GB any way you want (or 2GB or 250MB) - your handset/tethering/whatever... AT&T (and other carriers) is confusing the whole issue by charging for data AND for tethering... maybe it's a money grab, maybe they're confused or maybe they are idiots/geniuses, but all of the confusion is certainly having a huge negative PR effect...

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I like that idea, 5GB to do with what you please. If you need more than that, chances are you need to find a wife and life!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice