It is more like pirating an app which is against the law vs using tethering which is a violation of a contract provision. You can go to jail for using a cracked app but you won't go to jail for tethering and breaking the contact provisions. It boils down to criminal law vs contract law.
    04-08-2011 09:47 AM
    I agree with you. I was just questioning why so many would praise MyWi in the way that that they do. I'll be honest I've bought the MyWi app and am grandfathered in on AT&T's unlimited data plan. Does that mean I'm using MyWi every waking moment of the day using up crazy amounts of data? No. I've used it a couple of times in the past but always find myself turning it off after a few minutes of use as I feel guilty using a "privilege" that I'm not actually paying for.

Do I think AT&T's pricing structure for those of us who want tethering is fair? Hell no. Not by a long shot.
    They are praising MyWi because the way you're thinking about it is not the same. When you pirate an app, you take the app for free. You don't pay anyone or anything. When you use MyWi you have paid for the data, in some cases unlimited. So you have paid for the data you're using you just haven't paid for the way you're using it and that is what is stupid. So you see that it's different. This would be like if you paid $30 for a universal app but the dev said although the app is universal you can only use it on an iPad. If you want to use it on the iPhone then you have to pay $10. So then it's like well why is the app universal?
    04-08-2011 03:55 PM
    I'm less then 4 gig a month and less then one gig on tethering. But. I got the text this morning less then thirty minutes after I tethered with PDA net to down load 5 megs of email.

Last edited by slalomskie; 04-15-2011 at 03:48 PM.
    04-08-2011 09:57 PM
    Damn...I'm assuming ATT's strategy on unauthorized tether'ers was to go after heavy hitters, then moderate to low data users. True to their ways, no mercy for any of their customers.
    04-15-2011 02:53 PM
    I still haven't gotten any letters or text yet... I hope it stays that way. I usually only tether my iPad and every once in a while my MacBook air

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    04-15-2011 02:57 PM
    I received the text but not the letter (yet).

1. Has anyone received both the letter and the text but ignored them and continued to thether? What has happened?

2. Has anyone been automatically enrolled by AT&T?
    Last edited by slalomskie; 04-15-2011 at 03:54 PM.
    04-15-2011 03:50 PM
    There's another thread around here

http://forum.tipb.com/iphone-forum/2...tethering.html

where someone got the text but has never tethered. Says he does use a lot of data though. Interesting...
    Last edited by BrindawithanI; 04-15-2011 at 04:10 PM.
    04-15-2011 03:52 PM
    Called ATT about the text and email, many have dismissed them as scare tactics, but I'm not bout to call their bluff. I think their ability to detect unauthorized Tethering is more sophisticated then just merely assuming heavy data traffic = MyWi. I'm curious to find out if modifying the TTL (for Windows only) could circumvent ATT's detection. In the meantime I'll be slingboxing gigs and gigs of data on my unlimited plan.
    04-15-2011 07:41 PM
    What was the result of your call. Did they say you had to sign up?
    04-15-2011 08:16 PM
    I called pressed '0' to speak to 'operator' and voice message immediately notified me of (paraphrased) 'potential change to my account etc...'. Asked CSR about the text and email re: unauthorized Tethering, and that there must be some mistake since I haven't done any of the such (not true), they told me that ATT has 'detected' this kind of activity and that my data plan would automatically change if unauthorized Tethering continues after the date specified in the email, which is today. So I'll cease and desist and not call their bluff to keep my unlimited dats plan as is, ToS is on their side.
    04-16-2011 01:05 PM
    question; if we cannot tether via MyWi or through at&t, using our 'unlimited data plans'. then what is the use of the 'unlimited data plan'? (even up to 5gb) hours of YouTube??

has at&t just simply won and rendered the 'unlimited data plan' useless?
    04-16-2011 02:34 PM
    don't know if ATT has won, but they got me beat (for now). I'm sure with all the clever ppl out there that's brought us jb'ing, carrier unlocking and so many ingenious jb apps, someone will eventually find a way to clear this new hurdle. So far, in theory, modifying TTL to 65 sounds promising but it's untested.

Power to the people!!!
    Last edited by fivebawdy; 04-16-2011 at 03:19 PM.
    04-16-2011 03:07 PM
    Do you think Verizon will start cracking down too?
    04-21-2011 08:51 AM
    New Pdanet hides tethering. Just came out today.
    04-24-2011 05:57 PM
    it's typically $29 and for a limited time it is $15..

probably gonna ditch MyWi and go with this
    04-24-2011 11:06 PM
    How does it hide tethering?
    04-24-2011 11:26 PM
    I'm curious too
    04-25-2011 11:48 AM
    Yea thats the problem, no idea how this can be tested to make sure it even works. I'd like some more technical info if possible, before I try it.
    04-25-2011 12:38 PM
    I heard pdanet IS AT&T! I KID I KID!!!
    04-25-2011 01:01 PM
    I used PDAnet back when I had sprint and an htc. It was definitely hidden them.
    04-26-2011 12:18 AM
    From what I've found, I'd go with Tetherme....It uses the iPhone native iphone hotspot so it looks like iphone data to the carrier.... Hence its hidden..... PDANET is really slow.

I use tethering just for my iPad 2 and sometime my MBA
    05-09-2011 04:50 PM
    has any that received the text or letter used the new PDA net and gotten away with it?
    05-09-2011 06:35 PM
    They r getting caught too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    05-09-2011 06:49 PM
    can anyone confirm if tetherme plays nice with 4.3.3 on the iP4?
    05-09-2011 08:57 PM
    I'm surprised at how many of you just accept that since it seems wrong, it must be wrong. I have an unlimited data plan contract, and since I agreed to it before tethering was available, there is no mention of not allowing tethering. It seems to me that this is really a case of the populous being coerced by the powerful.
    When high speed Internet and multiple home computers was an exploding business comcast and others were trying to charge Internet per computer. But this went to the supreme court and they LOST! They sell a point of service, and are not allowed to dictate what a customer does beyond that point.
    This is the exact same thing. People need to fight this! They are just covering their asses for the too many people out there with unlimited plans, when they know they can charge more. So why not scare people and force people out of their contracts? That's the only way out of the giant unlimited data plan loop holes they've given us.

P.S.- I recently got both text an letter with only 5 gigs usage
    05-21-2011 01:51 AM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD