Can somebody explain what is the point of saving shsh blobs?

I don't even know what a blob is......

I've been on iPhone for 2 months. Bought a used ip4 that was on 4.1. Used limerain to JB that. Then when greenpoison came out for 4.2.1 I upgraded my firmware via tunes then used greenpoison.

What are shsh blobs? And why do we need to save them?
    03-11-2011 01:55 AM
    See this thread:
    http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ier-cydia.html

Basically, you'll need them if you ever want/need to downgrade your iOS.
    03-11-2011 02:22 AM
    I found a bunch of them on iClarified... used them to downgrade my daughter's iP3 after she tried iOS 4.x.

iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From
    iClarified - iPod touch - Where to Download iPod touch Firmware Files From
    iClarified - iPad - Where To Download iPad Firmware Files From
    Last edited by Fausty82; 03-11-2011 at 08:21 AM.
    03-11-2011 08:18 AM
    SHSH is different. These are files that are unique to every phoneif you don't save yours, there is nowhere from which to download them.
    03-11-2011 09:23 AM
    shsh blobs will most definitely be needed when Apple stops signing older firmware files. i guess it's their little way to force us to update
    03-11-2011 09:32 AM
    here is a decent explanation:

SHSH Blob is a signature file which is verified against Apple Server to verify the the iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. If for some reason, when you are try to restore to a previous version, Apple will not allow you to restore it becuase, you are trying load a older version of iOS. To make this possible, we need to send a request to a different server (Local or designated) which sends a SHSH blob (which was saved by you) back to iTunes faking that its the current version.
    03-11-2011 10:44 AM
    Thanks for the clarification... guess I'm screwed on my iPod and iPad...
    03-11-2011 11:12 AM
    See this thread:
    http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ier-cydia.html

Basically, you'll need them if you ever want/need to downgrade your iOS.
    Why would I want to downgrade my iOS? Is there a tech reason for this?
    03-11-2011 11:48 AM
    Some people update before a jailbreak is available and decide they want to go back. Some find that newer iOS versions run slowly on older devices. I used my blobs to update from 4.0.1 to 4.1 when Apple would only allow updating to 4.2.1, which at that point was only available as a tethered jailbreak.
    03-11-2011 12:22 PM
    Once Apple starts to only sign 4.3 and for some reason you needs to do a restore, you'll wish you had saved your 4.2.1 or older SHSH blobs so you can restore to them and still have a JB/unlock.
    03-12-2011 11:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD