As I now understand things I'm basically SOL. I'm not used to dealing with Apples Machiavellian machinations and have committed the number one sin
    of the hopeful Jailbreaker and not saved my shsh blobs. I've been taking so much new information and lingo on board, attempting to subdue itunes and this Ipod touch 4g, that I freely admit going glassy eyed when encountering the term "shsh blobs" and paid scant attention.
    I've been on the verge of selling this Ipod almost from the moment I purchased it. I've owned many an Iriver and Creative Mp3 player and am on my second "smartphone" moving from the instinct to the Epic 4g. But this is my first apple portable.
    Just today I decided that I felt comfortable attempting a "Jailbreak," but I'm wary, or rather, unwilling to be tethered.
    I blithely thought simply to downgrade back to 4.2.1 and use greenpoison RC 6.1. Silly me. This is an Ipod, and as such, simple isn't really an option. I don't have my original shsh blobs.
    Please excuse the sarcastic tone of this post, I'm just frustrated. I spent all night last night trying to get Itunes not to recognize all of my music backups sitting on my #3 HDD which Itunes found and logged without my asking it to thus duplicating my entire 300Gb library and was pretty proud of myself for sticking with it and sorting it out, and now this. I have to admit, I like the thing, I mean it's svelte, kinda sexy, feels nice in the hand. I'm just not sure if all of the headaches are worth it. That Cowon J3,D3 or S9 that I was a hair's breadth away from buying instead of this is starting to look pretty appealing right about now
    03-08-2011 11:38 AM
    Do you perhaps have tigers blood in your system? Sounds very Charlie Sheenish. How can we help you....? Are you just venting?
    03-08-2011 11:56 AM
    hehe sorry for venting. I've just experienced a miracle however. I d/l and ran Tinyumbrella thinking I'd at least back up my 4.3 shsh I hit the Save shsh button and low and behold tinyumbrella(coolest program in the world btw) proceeded to show me that I have not only my 4.2.1 shsh but also 4.3a, 4.3b and 4.3GM. this blows my mind, as I assure you that not only did I NOT save my shsh I didn't even know what they were nor had I an inkling of their upcoming importance to my ever imminent Jailbreak. But there you have it, I'll eat my words. This shsh business could not have been more simple. Just out of curiosity, my being a skeptic regarding the miraculous and all, any idea how my shsh blobs came to be saved? I updated my ios with itunes immediately after unpacking my Ipod and then used a 4.3GM file for the Ipod touch 4g which I grabbed from Demonoid to restore using Itunes and a shift+click and that's it. I only used tinyumbrella well after my hasty upgrades and immediately after venting my spleen in your nice forum.(sorry again about that). So now it would appear that I'm ready to break out and enter 3rd party Nirvana. Anything else my newb *** should carefully consider before I recklessly create one very expensive, and damned sexy paperwight?
    03-08-2011 12:13 PM
    The reason that TinyUmbrella was able to get the blobs for you 4.2.1 is that Apple hasn't officially released 4.3 as of yet and is still sending out 4.2.1 blobs.
    03-08-2011 12:33 PM
    Thanks for the reply. So the Blobs I lost were whatever initially came with my Ipod probably 4.1. But as it now appears that there is an "official" untethered jailbreak for 4.2.1 ala Greenpoison RC 6.1 my screwup isn't quite the end of the world. Do I have that right? or am I missing something important?
    Thanks again for the help, I'll get there eventually.
    03-08-2011 02:10 PM
    Correct, your "screw up" isn't monumental, to where if you use TinyUmbrella "properly" you should be able to downgrade to 4.2.1 and jailbreak with greenpois0n.
    03-08-2011 04:23 PM
    Unless I'm a little rusty Demonoid is a crack site so just giving you a heads up that cracked apps are frowned upon here. Anyway the iPod wouldn't have been a paperweight anyway because the official 4.3 comes out this Friday. So at the very least you would wait and then load the official 4.3 on it. I'm glad you figured out you're blunder and now that you've joined the forums ask here first before doing something you're unsure about.
    03-08-2011 05:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD