Jailbreak and "reset all settings"

dvigue

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
why is it when i reset all settings after a jailbreak, my phone bricks? is that a known No no to do?

THanks!

pkang

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
well there are different reasons sometimes and sometimes it goes smoothly. Just google the error code and most likely you will find a solution someone came across. There are rarely any case for bricked phone anymore

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes like they said Brick means just that it is as useless as a brick. The term has been misused just wanted to put you on the right track. We would need a little more info like how is it unresponsive? Why did you need to reset all settings? What tool did you use to JB? Usually people don't reset the settings so it's going to be hard for anyone to answer your question.

3seven1

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
I don't know what you mean by bricked. Is it stuck in recovery mode? You could use Tiny Umbrella to kick it out of recovery mode.

mhpspeed

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I am having a similar problem to this; earlier today I jailbroke my used ip4 with greenpoison.

After installing cydia, something weird happen and most of the default icons were missing off the screen, for example, phone, ipod, app store, and some of the others ones that when not jailbroken can not be deleted.

I decided to ignorantly reset the phone and erase everything with out researching first, and now when trying to turn the phone on, it stalls in the boot animation when the apple turns to a skull and the loading icon freezes over the skull.

So technically not a "brick?" cause it turns on, but freezes during the boot animation.

Anybody got any help?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Please, Please, Please I have asked this over and over if you JB and something has gone wrong ask and wait for some help. Please do not try to do things you think might fix the problem if it's just a guess. Search the site how to put your phone into DFU mode, this allows you to reload the firmware without loadiing the firmware on the phone. Once you've got the phone in DFU mode open iTunes it will say there is an iPhone in recovery so click restore to restore the Apple firmware. Then re-JB with Greenpois0n, are you on a Mac or Windows? I'm guessing Windows since you used Greenpois0n. If you get an error or something post up, add me on Twitter and send me a message or ask for my email and I'll get you up and running.

mhpspeed

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a mac, I keep trying to put it into DFU mode. The phone doesn't really power off totally, and the only way to get it to shut off, i.e. restart, after it freezes is to hold down the home and sleep button. I've been able to get into recovery mode, usually I get some type of animation so Im not sure if its DFU or not, I am assuming not because when I clicked restore in iTunes it gave me the pop of that it was going to restore and update and contact Apple, thats not what I want? the ip4 screen needs to be black, correct?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If you have a Mac go to iClarified.com and look in the tutorials. I much rather use pwnage tool to JB. It will wipe your phone though because it reloads the firmware.

Last edited:

kbphoto615

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
how did you get your phone up and running? A friend of mines kid messed with my phone and reset all my settings and now I'm having some major issues. :( Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
how did you get your phone up and running? A friend of mines kid messed with my phone and reset all my settings and now I'm having some major issues. :( Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

First step is a thorough beatdown of said kid!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Hey kb you should post up your screenshots here too some other people might be able to help you out even if my suggestions don't help. I really am starting to think it has something to do with infidock or infinifolders after seeing your screenshots.

kbphoto615

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey iPheuria, ok here's the screen shots.

photo.png

photo2.png

4-11-20122-50-26PM.jpg

4-11-20122-50-08PM.jpg

Just to explain the screenshots, what you're seeing are the iPhone view screenshots, and the iTunes view screenshots. The screenshots from iTunes is what iTunes sees on my iPhone. The screenshots from my iPhone are what actually happens when I sync my phone. I will add apps to folders in iTunes as people normally would, then I 'apply' the changes and sync the phone. As I am syncing the phone, I can physically see iTunes adding the apps randomly across my home pages on the iPhone, not in folders (how I originally arranged them in iTunes)

If you see on screenshot number 2 above, it has some random apps in folders? but on screenshot number 3 ( the itunes view of page 2 ), you can see that iTunes shows no apps in any folders? WTF?? How is this possible? I mean I have a basic understanding of why it doesn't show cracked apps sometimes or tweaks, but I've uninstalled most tweaks.

No matter what I do, restore from backup, re-arrange apps, remove apps, add apps one at a time, it does not add sync the apps properly. It just throws them randomly across my phone, and I have no idea why it's doing this. I had infinidock and infinifolders installed, but I uninstalled them when I ran into this issue, and still the problem persists.

Last edited:

reahn

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Well first off... you can never do 'reset all settings' or 'erase all contendt and settings' because it will put a jailbroken phone in a boot loop. because the ios is modified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapapoop

kbphoto615

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
yeah thanks for that guy. haha

Thanks for everyones help! I got the problem sorted finally. I uninstalled the bug fixes on cydia and then my phone synced correctly. :)

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I already created a thread in the JB apps/tweaks about this, but it might be worth mentioning it here as well: It's a good precaution installing ResetAllKiller from Cydia. This will make sure no harmful resets befall your jailbroken device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2