My icon shadowing nightmare

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
this has been an ongoing battle for me..

i have edited/renamed the following files in the Springboard.app

SwitcherIconShadow@2x~iphone.png
WallpaperIconDockShadow@2x~iphone.png
WallpaperIconShadow@2x~iphone.png

No Icon Shadow in Cydia for 4.2.1 doesn't work either

doing this obviously took care of most of my icons.. (see wallpaper, dock and switcher pics) but there are a few that simply will not behave

for example: observe the Pandora icon replacement

2h34u85.jpg
14m52x2.jpg

i gave up on this little project a while back but my obsession has got the best of me.. again :D thank you Massie for helping out and anyone else.. i have decided to create this thread in hopes that maybe, possibly, anybody has ran into the same situation and found a fix

i have emailed the CarbonX Dev as well so i will update with his comments

i'm open for suggestions/tips :) [ iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1 ]

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Can you email me the icon file so I can open it up in Photoshop and take a look at it? The fact that other icons all work except a few stubborn ones points to the fact that it might be the icons themselves.

rwilliams0926@gmail.com

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Some good info here:
Icon Modding - Black-transparent background (tough one)

Including the idea that some apps might include their own icon shadow png within the app folder.

On another note: what will we do to stay busy once this gets solved?!?

:D :D :D good question!

Can you email me the icon file so I can open it up in Photoshop and take a look at it? The fact that other icons all work except a few stubborn ones points to the fact that it might be the icons themselves.

rwilliams0926@gmail.com

damn, you're just gonna put your email out there like that?! haha

i have been reading about people having to customize each individual icon in order to make this work because the only fix, for now, will square your traditional icons see my next post :)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
email received from the CarbonX Dev

Thanks ? glad you like it!

The files you have renamed, doesn?t affect this issue, but look here:

Black background behind icons - CarbonX HD - Elegant and stylish theme for your iPhone 4!

At the moment I?m working on a Pro version of the theme. So far I have redesigned more than 1.400 elements!

Take a look at mt Facebook page, there you?ll find screenshots of it!

Regards

Thomas

For latest changes, please visit CarbonX HD - Elegant and stylish theme for your iPhone 4!

If you like my theme, please consider a small donation!

Follow CarbonX HD on

Facebook: CarbonX HD | Facebook

Twitter: CarbonX HD (CarbonX_HD) on Twitter

Black background behind icons - CarbonX HD - Elegant and stylish theme for your iPhone 4!

Issue:

I see a black background behind my icons?

Solution:

Use ssh, iFile or similar and navigate to System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileIcons.framework

Locate this file: AppIconMask@2x.png

Rename this file to AppIconMask@2x_BAK.png and respring your device using WinterBoard.

Now the background has been removed.

ATTENTION!

This "fix" unfortunately also causes non-themed icons to show up squared without rounded corners.

Nothing to do about this, so you decide what you like the most!

honestly, the squared icons look like crap.. i cannot live with it. hoping for better solution one day :)

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I have this same problem with the Midomi app, I have tried everything to remove the black background yet it just won't....go....away...

There has to be a way, most icons don't have this issue.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
i think they may be onto something.. i will investigate further this weekend

Yeah, simple logic says it must be something within the individual .app folder. Some more hints:

Looking at the UIPrerenderedIcon settings
Also look here.

...And more about AppIconOverlay and the like.

The biggest problem I'm running into in researching this is that it's never clear what works with what version of iOS. It ought to be an Internet Rule that any discussion of mods includes a compatibility list!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I have this same problem with the Midomi app, I have tried everything to remove the black background yet it just won't....go....away...

There has to be a way, most icons don't have this issue.

it looks like we have a team working on this now so.. :) :D

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, simple logic says it must be something within the individual .app folder. Some more hints:

Looking at the UIPrerenderedIcon settings
Also look here.

...And more about AppIconOverlay and the like.

The biggest problem I'm running into in researching this is that it's never clear what works with what version of iOS. It ought to be an Internet Rule that any discussion of mods includes a compatibility list!

agreed. thanks for the additional info, it will keep me busy this weekend :D

my fear is what if the CarbonX Dev's solution does not work .. will there ever be one?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
LOL it's just my anything and everything email so I don't care who emails to it I can just ignore it if I want. Yeah when you have time shoot me one of the icons with the troubles I'm intrigued by this now.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Okay, one last idea: do you have Summerboard Mode turned on in Winterboard? This guy is reporting some success with his method:
appiconmask

I swear I'll stop throwing ideas at you. Maybe.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
it looks like we have a team working on this now so.. :) :D

I finally got it!!! Been trying to fix this since October!!:eek::eek:

I just followed everything this guy said in in the first post of this thread >> Icon Modding: how to remove black icon mattes? - MacRumors Forums Massie posted.

I'm in disbelief, it's been so long!

EDIT: Forget what I just said, while that did get rid of that annoying black background, it made all my other icons square.. WTF:confused::confused:

Back to square one..:(

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I finally got it!!! Been trying to fix this since October!!:eek::eek:

I just followed everything this guy said in in the first post of this thread >> Icon Modding: how to remove black icon mattes? - MacRumors Forums Massie posted.

I'm in disbelief, it's been so long!

EDIT: Forget what I just said, while that did get rid of that annoying black background, it made all my other icons square.. WTF:confused::confused:

Back to square one..:(

yeah, i'm not too thrilled about the squared icon "fix" situation either. it's the same fix for the Glasklart theme to get rid of the black icons and make them clear like the rest. i have been having a conversation with Thomas, CarbonX Dev, and it's not looking good regarding a decent fix for this.. this guy is very experienced with themes/icons so i would be a fool to not believe what he has to say

outside of creating custom icons with Photoshop i'm afraid this project has come to an end once again

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. Seems like it shouldn't be so hard to separate the processes, even if it means creating a custom mask. If I ever figure something out I'll let you know!

Reactions: BLiNK

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro