I have several questions about this...

First of all, is it necessary or at least suggested?

I found a post about it here, suggesting a utility called MobileTerminal to do the deed... but all it does is flash a screen and quit... so not sure what's up with that...

My iPhone has (obviously) been JB'ed, and I have done the SSH thing, as well.

I am using SBSettings, and it appears that the setting for SSH is backwards... I cannot SFTP into my phone if the switch is set to ON, but if I slide the switch to OFF, I can SFTP and connect to the phone...

All of that leads me to 3 ultimate questions:

1. If I manage access via the switch in SBSettings, is changing the mobile and root passwords necessary, or is access blocked anyway?

2. What's the deal with MobileTerminal anyway?

3. Is the switch in SBSettings really backwards or (as expected) am I just not understanding something?

As always, I'm asking questions and hoping y'all can answer them without tiring of me. (How else is a guy gonna learn, right?)
    02-22-2011 06:06 PM
    I have several questions about this...

First of all, is it necessary or at least suggested?

I found a post about it here, suggesting a utility called MobileTerminal to do the deed... but all it does is flash a screen and quit... so not sure what's up with that...

My iPhone has (obviously) been JB'ed, and I have done the SSH thing, as well.

I am using SBSettings, and it appears that the setting for SSH is backwards... I cannot SFTP into my phone if the switch is set to ON, but if I slide the switch to OFF, I can SFTP and connect to the phone...

All of that leads me to 3 ultimate questions:

1. If I manage access via the switch in SBSettings, is changing the mobile and root passwords necessary, or is access blocked anyway?

2. What's the deal with MobileTerminal anyway?

3. Is the switch in SBSettings really backwards or (as expected) am I just not understanding something?

As always, I'm asking questions and hoping y'all can answer them without tiring of me. (How else is a guy gonna learn, right?)
    What version of MobileTerminal do you have?
    02-22-2011 06:35 PM
    364.1-10

02-22-2011 06:41 PM
    Uninstall that, and then add this repo:

Code:
    http://repo.insanelyiph0ne.com/
    Then install MobileTerminal from that repo. I think it's version 511 or something. That should solve the problem with it crashing.
    Last edited by RedChirp; 02-22-2011 at 08:07 PM.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    02-22-2011 08:03 PM
    Uninstall that, and then add this repo:

Code:
    http://repo.insanelyiph0ne.com/
    Then install MobileTerminal from that repo. I think it's version 511 or something. That should solve the problem with it crashing.
    Done and done. Thanks, RedChirp...
    02-23-2011 12:33 AM
    Done and done. Thanks, RedChirp...
    No problem. Did you change your root password?
    02-23-2011 01:00 AM
    Yes even if you switch OpenSSH off you should change the passwords. You might forget, when you reboot the phone by default it is on so leaving the widely known default password is like leaving your house door wide open. Are you on Mac or Windows? On Mac you can also change the passwords via terminal I think it's called. The tutorial for making themes has all the steps, I'm not sure if Windows has the same capability. Your SBSettings is backwards, mine works when green and doesn't work when red. Go into more on SBSettings and in toggles turn OpenSSH off. This just removes the toggle switch wont turn on or off the service. Then respring and go back in and turn the toggle back on and see if the reset fixed things. If that doesn't work take SBSettings out and re-install after a reboot. See if it's correct after the re-install?
    02-23-2011 01:09 AM
    Ipheuria:

I am on a Mac, but there's an app for the Windows environment, too... putty... trying the settings now...

Ok, got it... I was mis-reading the screen... the toggles under the toggles setting was to display the switch on the front page... duh... makes perfect sense, now... been a long day thanks!
    Last edited by Fausty82; 02-23-2011 at 01:26 AM.
    02-23-2011 01:18 AM
    Looks like you answered your own question(s) lol
    02-23-2011 02:16 AM
    Looks like you answered your own question(s) lol
    Yeah... nothing like exposing yourself on a public forum, eh?
    02-23-2011 08:40 AM
    also, do not forget to change the root and mobile passwords after every restore/re-jailbreak. it resets after a restore

read somewhere a while back that someone was claiming, after changing their passwords, it caused a battery drain

.... how???
    02-23-2011 10:00 AM
    also, do not forget to change the root and mobile passwords after every restore/re-jailbreak. it resets after a restore

read somewhere a while back that someone was claiming, after changing their passwords, it caused a battery drain

.... how???
    I don't even see how that's possible, because it is equivalent to having the default password, now it's just personal lol.
    02-23-2011 10:18 AM
    Yes that sounds bogus to me too I don't see how changing a password could cause a battery drain The person prob left OpenSSH on and blamed changing the password on the drain.
    02-23-2011 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD