Few questions before I jailbreak the phone......

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok just a few newbie questions.

Im thinking for jailbreaking but when a new OS update comes out what do I do? Im assuming I would update it but it would put my phone back to factory settings right? And if so do I end up losing my downloads, themes, etc? Or do you do a backup and run the OS update rejailbreak and than load the back up back onto the phone?

What should I know before jailbreaking?

Any help would be great.

mg48

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Your first statement is correct. Don't update to new firmware until a new jailbreak comes out. But it's a minor inconvenience most everything apple adds is already availble to jailbreakers. Before you jailbreak sync to iTunes. Not required but prudent. Using greenpoison doesn't delete anything since it doesn't require a new firmware unlike using pawnage tool.

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Your first statement is correct. Don't update to new firmware until a new jailbreak comes out. But it's a minor inconvenience most everything apple adds is already availble to jailbreakers. Before you jailbreak sync to iTunes. Not required but prudent. Using greenpoison doesn't delete anything since it doesn't require a new firmware unlike using pawnage tool.

Ok some clarifications.....

Currently Im on 4.2.6 which I believe is the latest for our phones well at least with VZ or does that even matter? So Ill being using greenpoison to jailbreak the phone and thats when the fun begin's! Anyways Ill still be able to use itune sync on the computer when plugged in but if it prompts me to update if it detects a new OS for the phone hit deny and wait till the new jailbreak comes out right?

Now when the new OS is out and the new jailbreak is out what do I do? Im assuming I back up the phone download the new OS from itunes when plugged into my computer and let it backup, install and reload the backup. Than rejailbreak the phone is that how it works?

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much.

There are apps in Cydia (used to be, anyway) that will save what apps you have downloaded/purchased. For the most part you would just download them again. I've not heard of anyone getting charged again for a paid app, since it should be saved by your phone ID.

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much.

There are apps in Cydia (used to be, anyway) that will save what apps you have downloaded/purchased. For the most part you would just download them again. I've not heard of anyone getting charged again for a paid app, since it should be saved by your phone ID.

ok so you do lose your apps and other downloads while updating to the new OS and jailbreaking again? So you do have to redownload the apps correct? But contacts, calenders, pictures, etc will all be added back right?

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand, yes.

All apps from iTunes will be restored, it's just the Cydia apps that you would have to redownload.

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand, yes.

All apps from iTunes will be restored, it's just the Cydia apps that you would have to redownload.

Ok that makes sense. Ok now just got to get the time to jailbreak the phone since I got that cleared up. :D

Know of any good how to's sites or links I can use to get me on my way?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If you forget about JB for a minute when you upgrade your firmware in the ideal situation it will just do an upgrade everything will remain the same. You will have your data, apps, settings etc. In rare cases there are snags that require you to reload the firmware and in this case you will lose everything because it will reload it fresh. This is rare but it does happen, however if you right click the iPhone in the left column of iTunes you can backup, transfer purchases and sync which will save everything within iTunes. If you do need to restore it will prompt you whether you want to restore from your last backup and this will put everything back the way it was before the phone was reloaded fresh.

JB, if you do an upgrade you will lose your JB including apps, data, customization etc. There are some apps that allow you to back that stuff up but I've never used it so I couldn't tell you about that. When you do a JB there are different tools. If you use a tool like GP it does the JB without reloading the firmware so everything will remain how you have it now after the JB but you should still do a backup and transfer purchases before you start the JB process. If you use a tool like pwnage tool you have to restore from a custom firmware which means reloading the firmware however again if you backup in iTunes you can restore from your backup. In conclusion it's very hard for you to lose your data, settings, etc. if you sync and/or backup regularly.

I use iClarified site regularly go into the tutorials, search for my name I've linked to it a bunch of times. You may find that sometimes the links are dead however so you may need to search if it's been awhile since the tool has been out. I believe there are links for GP in the GP untethered thread.

Last edited:

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Finally got around to jailbreaking the ip4 with the latest GP Final Version! Everything went smoothly! Thanks everyone for all your help! Now time to play around with this!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711