Please correct me if I am wrong but jailbreaking was found to be legal. If it is legal how can Apple continue to get away with blocking the jailbreaking that is going on with new updates?
    02-15-2011 09:14 PM
    Because although it may be legal, it's still against their policy.
    02-15-2011 09:55 PM
    They are not "blocking" the jailbreaking they are fixing security holes in there system. Those same holes are used to jailbreak. I am Team Jailbreak so all for jailbreaking but they can do this cause it is their OS and you dont have to update which is why i dont till the new jb shows up. Hope that helps.
    02-15-2011 10:07 PM
    You can always jailbreak all existing iOS devices due to the bootrom vulnerability, it just might be a tethered jailbreak
    02-15-2011 10:50 PM
    And nobody likes those
    02-15-2011 10:54 PM
    But we will take what we can get in the event we have to restore and an untethered version is not out yet.
    02-16-2011 01:34 PM
    The law that made jail breaking legal more or less made it so that the hackers and end users can not be sued for jail breaking their phones. It did not how ever include any provisions that would force a carrier or manufacturer to assist in or provide any way for that to be accomplished. They can block what ever they want to stop it or block it, if you do it they are not able to take any legal action for doing it. The ruling was a start but it needs to go further.
    02-16-2011 07:54 PM
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure that they can't actually stop this happening. Installous IS illegal but they can't exactly catch you. So if you've come to this being worried when you're about to Jailbreak, don't be worried.
    02-22-2011 04:44 PM
    Just a quick question. Can a carrier opt not to activate your phone because your phone is jailbroken ??
    02-22-2011 11:32 PM
    Just a quick question. Can a carrier opt not to activate your phone because your phone is jailbroken ??
    I would say yes and no, I don't quite see how they would know and as long as you're paying for the service I don't see why they would care. However they can change or pull your service for whatever bogus reason. I wouldn't worry about them not activating because unless you tell them it's not like there is some signature in your signal telling them your phone is JB. I'm sure there are alot of iPhone users on carriers other than AT&T so this wouldn't be the case if they were that out to get the phones off their network. Also to the OP the iPhone has been around for 3 years now so this game is nothing new. In those three years with all their changes there has been JBs for all the versions of the firmware so that should tell you that Apple eliminating JB, not anytime soon.
    02-23-2011 12:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD