So I downloaded Navigon and TomTom on my jail broken iPhone to see which I like better. I don't travel, and it is pointless to buy the full app for only using about 10 square miles of it. But it is still nice to have to search and find directions.

Hands down I love Navigon so much more than TomTom, but I have a problem with the Navigon app, I have clear GPS signal, but when I get around 40 mph usually, the map seems like it can't load the streets fast enough and the camera gets back close to the arrow (representing my car) and then zooms out fast back how it should be, and just keeps doing that every 5 seconds. It is very annoying. And also the roads don't load very far in advance. Though the TomTom one works perfectly fine no matter how fast I go, and is super accurate. But I hate the POI icons and just overall look of the TomTom. But Is there a way to fix the Navigon issue? I have the 1.6 version.

EDIT: And If I like the apps, I may legit buy them, but I really want to see how well they work before spending any money on them.
    Last edited by Uplink; 02-13-2011 at 05:02 PM.
    02-13-2011 03:31 PM
    I think it may be the nature of the beast.

I'm glad I got Navigon while it was half price, because if I had paid $60, I'd be disappointed. My first GPS - a Garmin Nuvi 350 - was/is a better navigation tool than the Navigon app.
    Uplink likes this.
    02-13-2011 03:40 PM
    So I downloaded Navigon and TomTom on my jail broken iPhone to see which I like better. I don't travel, and it is pointless to buy the full app for only using about 10 square miles of it. But it is still nice to have to search and find directions.

Hands down I love Navigon so much more than TomTom, but I have a problem with the Navigon app, I have clear GPS signal, but when I get around 40 mph usually, the map seems like it can't load the streets fast enough and the camera gets back close to the arrow (representing my car) and then zooms out fast back how it should be, and just keeps doing that every 5 seconds. It is very annoying. And also the roads don't load very far in advance. Though the TomTom one works perfectly fine no matter how fast I go, and is super accurate. But I hate the POI icons and just overall look of the TomTom. But Is there a way to fix the Navigon issue? I have the 1.6 version.

EDIT: And If I like the apps, I may legit buy them, but I really want to see how well they work before spending any money on them.
    I was going to give you a good answer to your question but since you're running them cracked PLEASE GO ELSEWHERE. There is a zero tolerance policy for discussing cracked apps here. You give the JB community a bad name.
    02-13-2011 06:57 PM
    Uplink - if you like an app, buy it.

http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-foru...scussions.html
    02-13-2011 07:00 PM
    *sighs* I am just wanting to know if I do buy the app, will it still be like that. because I just wanted to try the app out first before committing a lot of money towards it. I just want to know if it is like that if I were to buy it, or if it is just something with my version. lol That's all I am really wanting to know.
    02-13-2011 07:23 PM
    Before you buy try mapquest mobile, its free and may do what you need. It has voice as vell.

I tried both and for my needsthe Navigon app won.
    02-13-2011 07:48 PM
    I understand where your coming from, uplink. Where I absolutely do not support the cracking and pirating of apps, I do realize what a shortcoming it was of Apple to not allow some sort of trial or test system for all apps. I had all three (Navigon, TomTom, and Mapquest4Mobile). All do great things but here is what I like about Navigon. The arrow moves in real time, almost seamlessly through the route traveled. There is hardly any choppiness to the app, it is very smooth and accurate. The TomTom lagged and lost GPS connection almost ALL the time. If I were you, I would set it up the same way as I have mine set up, Navigon for a great GPS and voice navigation and use Mapquest4Mobile as a backup utility in case your in an area where Navigon doesnt work as well as it should. You cant really go wrong with these. Oh, and please buy the app. Hopefully, Apple wont force some people to test drive cracked apps by allowing us to test drive the real ones, but until then support app makers!
    Uplink likes this.
    02-13-2011 08:38 PM
    I understand where your coming from, uplink. Where I absolutely do not support the cracking and pirating of apps, I do realize what a shortcoming it was of Apple to not allow some sort of trial or test system for all apps. I had all three (Navigon, TomTom, and Mapquest4Mobile). All do great things but here is what I like about Navigon. The arrow moves in real time, almost seamlessly through the route traveled. There is hardly any choppiness to the app, it is very smooth and accurate. The TomTom lagged and lost GPS connection almost ALL the time. If I were you, I would set it up the same way as I have mine set up, Navigon for a great GPS and voice navigation and use Mapquest4Mobile as a backup utility in case your in an area where Navigon doesnt work as well as it should. You cant really go wrong with these. Oh, and please buy the app. Hopefully, Apple wont force some people to test drive cracked apps by allowing us to test drive the real ones, but until then support app makers!
    Thanks yeah of course I will help support the developers. I am not a cheap person. I have like 400+ legit CDs of bands I have bought the past 2-3 years and so much other stuff I buy instead of downloading. I do support the people who make the stuff I buy. Just why buy more than 1 GPS app? lol Going a long with what you were saying, the Navigon is very smooth, until it gets to the point where it does that weird zoom in and out thing. That issue is what has been preventing me from buying it already. I can't find anyone else with the issue which is good and bad at the same time. :P But the TomTom for me works very well, but I don't like how it looks at all. But thanks for the post, and I agree, Apple needs to have trial apps that only work for a set amount of time. Would make trying to buy an app like this so much nicer. Because no matter how many reviews you can watch, or see, it's hard to tell how they would work until I can actually test it myself. Glad you can kind of see where I am coming from on that
    02-13-2011 09:46 PM
    I have 1.7 Navigon, and I noticed the same issues Uplink has. I paid for the app well over a year ago. I wonder if it is compatibility with 4.2.6?? I tried the VZ Navigator tonight too and OMG it lagged sooo bad. I pulled up Google Maps and was running about 70 and it was spot on, so I know it isn't the GPS chip or anything hardware related.
    Uplink likes this.
    02-14-2011 12:33 AM
    Bottom line is Navigon is one of the best nav apps out there. At about 40mph it changes the viewing scale which can seem kind of quirky. I never seemed to notice it and definitely don't think it should be a dealbreaker given how good everything else about it is. Buy it and delete your cracked versions of everything else.

I think everyone here would like to have a try before you buy policy but that's just not how it works on this platform.
    02-14-2011 08:31 AM
    I have 1.7 Navigon, and I noticed the same issues Uplink has. I paid for the app well over a year ago. I wonder if it is compatibility with 4.2.6?? I tried the VZ Navigator tonight too and OMG it lagged sooo bad. I pulled up Google Maps and was running about 70 and it was spot on, so I know it isn't the GPS chip or anything hardware related.
    Thanks, that's why I am holding off buying it until I know it is fixed. And don't worry, I will buy it everyone lol chill. I just want to make sure that it will work properly before I buy, and as of right now, it's not working right.
    02-14-2011 09:15 AM
    If you want navigation that just works, and works well - it ain't a phone app. My retired Garmin Nuvi 350 was a better navigator than the Navigon app. And my current Nuvi 765t beats it hands down. Device convergence in navigators & cell phones is coming - but it ain't here yet.
    02-14-2011 09:25 AM
    Uplink, have you tried Waze? It's totally free, network-only map data, but surprisingly good navigation.
    02-14-2011 12:29 PM
    If you want navigation that just works, and works well - it ain't a phone app. My retired Garmin Nuvi 350 was a better navigator than the Navigon app. And my current Nuvi 765t beats it hands down. Device convergence in navigators & cell phones is coming - but it ain't here yet.
    Yeah, but I don't want to spend too much money :P I don't travel at all and a GPS is on the pricey side for me.

And ElectroLund, I like to have the maps pre installed. Which is why I am looking at Navigon and TomTom.
    02-14-2011 08:20 PM
    Ever used Google Navigation on an Android?? It's "there", definitely....
    02-14-2011 09:52 PM
    With the Navigon app the maps are stored on the iPhone it's self correct? I am going on a road trip in a few weeks and am afraid of relying on the app by itself in case there is no AT&T service out in the middle of nowhere.
    03-08-2011 11:17 AM
    Yes, the Navigon maps are stored on the iPhone itself. Even if you lose data, it will still work because it uses the GPS.
    04-10-2011 10:21 PM
    I've never been able to justify the price of GPS apps, when I do need one I just use Waze, it's free, and has some really cool features not even the paid GPS apps have, and the turn by turn directions are loud and crystal clear. I know the maps aren't pre-loaded, but it saves you a ton of space, and somehow Waze seems to load maps faster than all others..
    04-11-2011 01:22 AM
    Navfree USA is a free navigation app that has installed maps (no data signal required) and voice guided directions. It takes a while to download, even over wifi, but for me it's worth it. Just use wifi to search for your destination's physical adress, then enter it in to the app and drive. I haven't been able to test it extensively yet, but it seems to work fine around the neighborhood.

Having the pre-loaded maps is important to me because I use my iPhone 3GS on T-Mobile without a data plan, which limits my data use to wifi. It's not just cheaper, but less hectic not having data!

Anyway, uplink, you should try emailing the developer for giving them suggestions/bug reports. The sign of a good app is if the developer supports users with timely fixes/responses to questions. Instead of 'try before you buy,' just get used to doing some research. Ask around if people have problems with a certain app. Email the developer or look up known issues. There is a framework for these sorts of questions/issues. Another suggestion would be that if you are asking a question about an app online, try saying "My friend's version of this app..." etc. instead of saying "My stolen version of this app..." it may save you some headaches in the future.

Later!
    04-13-2011 03:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD