Teetering on the edge...one last question before I jailbreak.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Searching and searching hasn't really led me to an answer on this.

I have an iPhone 4 with AT&T and iOS 4.2.1 and a Windows 7 laptop. I have greenpois0n downloaded and ready to go, but I have a hesitation.

My phone has been with me since it was unboxed in an AT&T store on September 24th, 2010. In that time, I have each menu tab, icon arrangement, app notification, wallpaper, tone, etc. set just the way I want it (as much as iOS will allow me to, anyway). I don't want all of these settings gone. :( Will a jailbreak, which will allow me that last little bit of control I want, erase all of that? I don't want to start over with an empty phone.

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Nope it shouldn't. It didn't for me on my iPhone or my iPad. Back up your phone and that will save your settings and wallpaper/photos. Transfer your apps to your computer just in case, always good to do that regularly anyways. Worse comes to worse you would just have to rearrange your icons. But i jail broke my iPad and iPhone, and everything stayed the same with the addition of loader and Cydia

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site

I have an iPhone 4 with AT&T and iOS 4.2.1 and a Windows 7 laptop. I have greenpois0n downloaded and ready to go, but I have a hesitation.

My phone has been with me since it was unboxed in an AT&T store on September 24th, 2010. In that time, I have each menu tab, icon arrangement, app notification, wallpaper, tone, etc. set just the way I want it (as much as iOS will allow me to, anyway). I don't want all of these settings gone. :( Will a jailbreak, which will allow me that last little bit of control I want, erase all of that? I don't want to start over with an empty phone.

No nothing should be changed after the JB. Like mentioned above do a backup prior/sync as well just in case but you should be fine!

rocky271

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
No nothing should be changed after the JB. Like mentioned above do a backup prior/sync as well just in case but you should be fine!

Does backing it up allow you to restore to a back up or anytime you restore does it go back to factory? If you can restore to a back up, how do you do that?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Does backing it up allow you to restore to a back up or anytime you restore does it go back to factory? If you can restore to a back up, how do you do that?

The iTunes restore will reset to factory first, then - restore your custom settings & apps, media, etc. - so it should be back to where you were just before jailbreaking.

Reactions: rocky271

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You need to do it already, like everyone already told you do a backup, sync, and transfer purchases before the JB. You can find all of these options by right clicking on the phone in the left column of iTunes. When you do a restore through iTunes or using a pwnage tool ipsw it will prompt you if you want to restore from a backup. If you use Greenpois0n the phone should be the same after the JB process. If there was a problem you could right click again in iTunes to restore from your backup.

rocky271

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Take the plunge my man. Everything went smoothly and I have some fantastic new applications and usability. The only thing that has happened was when I opened skype it said it was only supported for non modified iOS.... It still seems to be working just fine though.... You won't regret it, do it now!

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
I have the same setup and after jail break nothing change.

FYI
You will change everything after jail break anyway because you can tweak your phone so much more.

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Once jailbroken...OP will wish he never made this thread... lol.
Jump in, the water is warm and you can see the bottom!

swsmpbaby985

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
My first jailbreak erased everything off the phone, contacts, texts, apps you name it. Took me hours to get everything back. I was hesitant of jailbreaking today with greenpoison un teathered, but went for it....nothing was lost from my phone this time :)

busyme

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I jail broke mine last night. Took me 6 minutes, and everything was EXACTLY how I started. Until I started playing. Heh.

RodneyJ725

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

I finally JB my iphone 4 (purchased back in July 2010) last night using GP and Windows 7 laptop: I lost no settings or configuration that i had prior to the JB. Seeing that Apple logo change to the greenpoison apple was a little creepy, but it just confirmed all went well. Just follow the counters in GP and all goes well.

Come on in, the water's fine.. :)

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
My first jailbreak erased everything off the phone, contacts, texts, apps you name it. Took me hours to get everything back. I was hesitant of jailbreaking today with greenpoison un teathered, but went for it....nothing was lost from my phone this time :)

Did you backup prior to your 1st jb where you lost everything...? You could of just restored from that backup if so.:D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711