Un-jailbreak.

ElectricDoodie

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I need to Un-Jailbreak my phone, and just go back to normal.

I don't care if I lose my Cydia Apps and know that it's going to happen, and I use AT&T, so I don't need to ever unlock.
The only thing I want to make sure that I will keep, is my contacts and settings that are set up, such as my email accounts.

How would I go about doing this?
Would I just connect my iPhone 3GS to the computer, open iTunes, and Update my phone? This will just update to the latest firmware, and make my phone a normal iPhone, without the jailbreak, correct?

Or am I doing something wrong, and need to actually restore as new, and such?

Thanks for any helpful responses. Just want to make sure I'm going about this the right way.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You're right but before you start the process in iTunes right click the iPhone in the left column and choose Backup, then transfer purchases. Then as you said do an upgrade. Even if you did a restore it will prompt you to restore from backup.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
No need for the DFU just restore, when you're ready just do a sync and backup. Once that's done do the restore and then after the restore just restore from the backup and you're good to go.

Reactions: doxiedad#IM

Writermind

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
OK guys, wonder if you might be able to offer me some additional info.

I synced and backed up to iTunes BEFORE I jail broke my iPhone 4.

Then I used Green Pois0n to jail break.

I'm not particularly pleased with the jail break and have been experiencing some signal degradation issues.

As such, I'd like to restore my iPhone to its former self. Hence, un-jail breaking.

The general consensus seems to be, you should plug the device up to iTunes and then let it back up the phone, but wouldn't that back up the jail broken IOS?

Wouldn't it be better advised to FIRST restore to factory settings on the device and THEN plug up the iPhone to iTunes?

I mean resetting all settings and/or erasing all content and settings FIRST.

I'm a first-timer so pardon my ignorance.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The backup in iTunes doesn't backup the firmware only media(pictures, music, etc), settings, user configured stuff. However some people don't like to restore from the backup because they bleive it will restore files altered by the Jailbreak. So it's up to you really, if you haven't made any changes you'd like to keep since you JB. You can go into iTunes and delete any backups after you JB leaving the pre-JB backups. The restore uses the latest backup I beleive.

PS
Do not use the erase all data and settings this causes alot of problems and stuck phones.

rcarroll20

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
tried to unjailbreak and...

hello I am a definate noob, I recently jailbroke my verizon iPhone and want to restore back to original.
I plugged it into iTunes and transfered purchases and then did a restore.
now my phone has rebooted and is sitting at the boot logo I had installed while it was jailbroken. it has been this way for about 15min...could you please help. thanks

cp9102

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Something to consider.....itunes ONLY has 1 backup folder for each idevice. If you backup while jailbroken just before you restore, it WILL OVERWRITE the backup you made prior to jailbreaking. I did the same thing, made a backup before jailbreaking, then jailbroke my phone, didn't care for it, and restored back. HOWEVER before i did so i copied the backup i made prior to jailbreaking to a safe location. Then after the restore i copied the pre-jailbreak backup back to the backup folder and restored that back to my phone. Worked perfectly.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If you look in iTunes there are multiple backups but iTunes uses the latest one. So before restoring you can delete the backups you do after the JB so that iTunes will restore the pre JB backup.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods