I don't know if it's just me - but since doing the newest JB on my iphone 4 running 4.2.1 ibooks is completely useless. The app will start, but books won't open, no matter what kind of tricks I do or how many times I do them. I even tried reinstalling the older version (1.1.2), no workee either. With the Redsn0w jailbreak, ibooks was buggy and crashy but at least was useable - you could always get the books to open eventually. I'm going to do a restore in the morning, as I'm nearly through the book I'm reading and it's not available on any other book platform. Anyone have a fix?
    02-05-2011 12:44 AM
    The only problem I've ever had with this is when it came to having your iBooks synced across devices. Turn that off, and maybe it'll help.
    02-05-2011 03:43 PM
    I just tried my iBooks and there is a problem. The free books from Project Gutenberg open fine but the books I bought all say there is a problem with iBooks restore in iTunes. Luckily I read all the books I bought so it doesn't matter to me right now.
    02-05-2011 04:23 PM
    The only problem I've ever had with this is when it came to having your iBooks synced across devices. Turn that off, and maybe it'll help.
    Did you try this with the new gp JB? I did - it didn't work.

I restored. Ibooks works fine now. I can wait for 4.3 - MyWi is the only thing I actually need JB for, and I only need that once in a while - it wan wait.
    02-05-2011 05:02 PM
    I ended up uninstalling and deleting ibooks from my phone and itunes, reinstalled and it is working fine.
    02-05-2011 05:07 PM
    OK I'll give that a try later tonight.
    02-05-2011 05:37 PM
    Hope that works - didn't for me.
    02-05-2011 06:13 PM
    I have an iPhone 3GS old boot rom iOS 4.2.1 (8C148a) with GP R5 installed. When opening an iBook purchased book I get a message saying "There is a problem with the configuration of your iPhone. Please restore with iTunes and reinstall iBooks". This one and only purchased iBook will not open while the free iBooks and Gutenburg books will. Pdf works fine. iBooks works fine on an iPad (not JB) running iOS 4.2.1 in every aspect. Turning off the Sync Bookmarks and Sync Collections and then removing iBooks from iTunes, reinstalling in iTunes and then re-downloading the book via the iBook app on the iPhone didn't resolve the issue. I believe it has to do with the DRM check since the free book 'purchased' via iBooks store works fine. I'm not convinced that a restore and reinstall will fix this.
    02-06-2011 01:15 AM
    I ended up uninstalling and deleting ibooks from my phone and itunes, reinstalled and it is working fine.
    Reinstalling via iTunes and then syncing or reinstalling via iPhone?
    02-06-2011 01:23 AM
    Actually Greenpois0n does affect Ibooks in that you can not read books you purchased thru Itunes ...free books are not affected. I did restore and re-jailbreak using redsn0w and everything in Ibooks is working.
    02-06-2011 05:59 PM
    How do we let the programmers of Greenpoisi0n know about this bug! I went to their website but it doesn't have any way to leave comments of bugs that I could see.
    02-07-2011 08:57 AM
    Try tweeting them.
    02-07-2011 09:12 AM
    what is their twitter name?
    02-07-2011 09:18 AM
    nm found it!
    02-07-2011 09:18 AM
    They are aware of the bug, if affects DRM iBooks. If they release an updated version lets say RC6 or so on, Will we just install over on top of our current greenpoisi0n JB, or will we need to restore and re-jailbreak with the new release?
    02-07-2011 03:43 PM
    it's not only GP, pwnage tool also does the same thing.
    02-08-2011 11:56 AM
    Everything seems to be fine with my ibooks after the new greenpoison jailbreak.
    02-08-2011 12:01 PM
    Everything seems to be fine with my ibooks after the new greenpoison jailbreak.
    Do you have any books you purchased through iBooks? Those are the ones that don't work for me. Anything I've added, such as PDF's, work just fine.
    02-08-2011 12:12 PM
    Do you have any books you purchased through iBooks? Those are the ones that don't work for me. Anything I've added, such as PDF's, work just fine.
    I guess I spoke too soon, because I dont have any purchased through itunes.
    02-08-2011 12:49 PM
    It seems if you just delete any book in ur library on the jail broken idevice, then redownload from ur purchases it treats the book as new and allows you to read no problem, has worked so far on mine
    02-08-2011 11:04 PM
    Do tell. I tried that numerous times, using various methods and various download methods, and none of them worked. What version of the jailbreak are you using? I've only tried the version 2 that came out very soon after the original greenpois0n. What books have worked for you specifically?
    02-08-2011 11:13 PM
    Used rc5 not sure what version but the same day it was released. Now I did delete my iBooks in iTunes and iPad as well first based on an earlier suggestion then reinstalled separately on both...then I happened to open a sample book and it worked fine but my other books still didn't open....so I deleted some of them then redownloaded from my purchases and it installed as a "new book" and has worked since and I've been opening and closing since.
    02-08-2011 11:21 PM
    I'll have to try that, I had the same problem on both my iPad(GP) & my iPhone(pwnage tool)
    02-08-2011 11:42 PM
    The msg that I am getting when I try to open a purchased iBook is:
    There is a problem with configuration of your iPhone. Please restore with iTunes and reinstall iBooks.

I am very new to jailbreak and have no idea how to fix. My friend jailbroke my phone for me so I have very little knowledge. Please help. I really want to finish my book.

Thank you.
    02-09-2011 09:14 AM
    I used gp_mac_rc5_b2, also downloaded late the first day. I've tried your method, it doesn't work for me and many others for books that are purchased and have drm. I suspect you're actually redownloading free books or some kind of books that don't have drm, that's why I asked which books specifically.

The point of this thread is to point out that there is a legitimate problem with purchased books in ibooks, and that there isn't always an easy workaround for the problem. For most people it isn't just a matter of deleting and redownloading - that just doesn't work.

I notice the current version is gp_mac_rc5_b4 - anyone try this and have any better luck with ibooks and purchased books?

CarrieC - you can try the delete and redownload method, but if that doesn't work you will need to restore the phone. Or use kindle or stanza or ereader, which don't seem to have problems (these will involve repurchasing).
    Last edited by sduck; 02-09-2011 at 11:24 AM.
    02-09-2011 11:21 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD