OK, I currently have 4.1 JB and am waiting for the windows version of Greenpoison to go to 4.2. I'm on an Iphone 4 and have had that jailbroken along with both my 3gs and 3g before that. Here is my question though.

When I have jailbroken previously, I have always backed up, then restored as new, run the jailbreak, the restored from my backup. It has always worked fine.

Though recently I have seen people saying that after I restore as new and jailbreak, not to restore my backup and to start fresh. Is that correct? But then what happens to all my settings, photos, contacts (though those are backed up via gmail), etc.? How do I get those back?

Can anyone give me some good advice as I patiently await greenposion for windows? Thanks,
    02-04-2011 09:11 PM
    OK, I currently have 4.1 JB and am waiting for the windows version of Greenpoison to go to 4.2. I'm on an Iphone 4 and have had that jailbroken along with both my 3gs and 3g before that. Here is my question though.

When I have jailbroken previously, I have always backed up, then restored as new, run the jailbreak, the restored from my backup. It has always worked fine.

Though recently I have seen people saying that after I restore as new and jailbreak, not to restore my backup and to start fresh. Is that correct? But then what happens to all my settings, photos, contacts (though those are backed up via gmail), etc.? How do I get those back?

Can anyone give me some good advice as I patiently await greenposion for windows? Thanks,
    It's a good idea to start fresh yes. All of your photos should be stored on your computer already. A simple sync will get them back. As for your settings, those will all be reset.
    02-05-2011 04:40 PM
    You know what honestly starting fresh is such a cop out restore is there for a reason. I have been JBen on every firmare from the first one to iOS 4 and I never started fresh once. I have also never had any problems even an OEM iPhone doesn't have search the forums for my username and see. If you think about it you can restore JB and start fresh at anytime at all. So my advice is do the JB and restore, if you have stability issues try to fix it. The last resort if it just will not be stable restore, JB and star fresh as a VERY LAST resort!!!
    02-05-2011 06:41 PM
    You know what honestly starting fresh is such a cop out restore is there for a reason. I have been JBen on every firmare from the first one to iOS 4 and I never started fresh once. I have also never had any problems even an OEM iPhone doesn't have search the forums for my username and see. If you think about it you can restore JB and start fresh at anytime at all. So my advice is do the JB and restore, if you have stability issues try to fix it. The last resort if it just will not be stable restore, JB and star fresh as a VERY LAST resort!!!
    I disagree respectively. I stand by what I said, starting fresh is never a bad idea. I came from the old Windows Mobile days with ROMS so it's just a habit and it's not a bad habit at that.
    02-05-2011 11:54 PM
    Yes but you are missing my point you can start fresh at anytime. So why use that as the first option? This is just like when there is a new Windows version available. There are people who say format and install it fresh and I can understand the logic but if you have a rock stable OS already just do an upgrade to save yourself the hassle of setting up everything all over again. I understand where you're coming from by starting frsh you have new settings and no previous customization that might screw things up. I guess like I said I've done it so many times without any problems at all that I never understood why people recommended it as the first resort.
    02-06-2011 02:31 AM
    Because you are in the minority? Everyone I know who has had problems, had them after restoring. I know no one who had problems starting fresh. (And I know more iPhone users than the average person.)
    02-06-2011 11:06 AM
    For the last couple jailbreaks (including this 4.2.1 Greenp0ison) I have updated the iPhone software and restored to a backup and then jailbroke with no problems. I do remember one time a few jailbreaks back that didn't work and I had to start fresh... but I will always try to restore first... mainly to perserve all my app data. Setting up acccounts and preferences and re-syncing pictures and music is no big deal, but losing app data is to me. So I say trying a restore is fine and should be your first choice... you will know if it doesn't work then you can restore to stock if needed.
    02-06-2011 01:41 PM
    i gave it a go with running GP on top of my redsn0w tethered but my OCD got the best of me

Restored as New (started fresh) .. to be honest i am seeing a better battery performance
    02-07-2011 03:22 PM
    In the OP case I believe he's talking about when he is done restoring the JB firmware and it asks to restore from the backup. If your doing one JB over another then in that case I would say it's better to start with an OEM firmware but for me I rather restore from backup.
    02-07-2011 03:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD