Well I've been trying a couple of nights and have not been able to jailbreak. Found a lot of good information on the Forums but nothing specific to what I am seeing. I used Allyson's article from October 2010 as a guide to JB.

I have an iPhone 4 (4.1 8B117) that I am trying to jailbreak using the PwnageTool (4.1.2) from the MacDev Team.

I was unable to locate my ipsw on the computer (~/Library/iTunes/Iphone Software Updates) so i downloaded another 'compatible' version from the iClarified site.

Everything seemed to be going well. The custom restore ipsw file was created. Following the steps the iPhone was put into DFU mode and iTunes prompted for a restore. Holding the option key I selected the restore pointed to the custom ipsw file. But the following message was returned during the restore process:

The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

Not sure what this means. I had to hold the power+home buttons to return phone to a useable state.
    The iPhone was purchased in November from AT&T (due to a too early demise of my 3Gs). Is there a conflict with the downloaded ipsw file? Would 'my' file work better? Or is this model just not going to play nicely with Pwnage.

I am using an iMac 5,1 (Core 2 Duo - MA589LL)

Any help/information will be greatly appreciated. I have not been able to Google sufficient answers.

zak
    01-11-2011 05:09 PM
    Right now, without using saved old SHSH files, you can only restore to 4.2.1 otherwise you will get the non eligible device error if you try a different firmware. Thus, if you want to restore to 4.1, do you have 4.1 SHSH files saved, through Cydia or Tinyumbrella?
    zmtiger likes this.
    01-11-2011 05:14 PM
    Oh. That stinks. I thought that I was making it better by not upgrading to 4.2. This is a first time jailbreak. So there are no saved SHSH files from my current firmware (4.1).
    It sure is a small window for JB'ing. I see now how this is a bit of a cat and mouse game with Apple.

Time to read up some more on the latest 4.2 jailbreaking methods. And will definitely look into the SHSH files once I do successfully JB.

Thank you for the explanation and quick response.

zak
    01-11-2011 10:30 PM
    You should check the tutorials on iClarified cause that's usually where I go when I want to update a tool or whatever. The 4.2 Jailbreak for iPhone 4 and iPad right now is tethered meaning you will have to connect your iPhone to the laptop every time you reboot it and use redsn0w to boot it tethered. I find that on the iPad it's not that bad but on my iPhone it might be a bit more of a pain in the ***. Some of the themes, tools you install will require you to reboot and you usually get the hang of it pretty quick but it's alot easier when it's not the device you use daily.

iClarified Tutorials

PS
    Comex has promised that an untether is coming soon.
    Last edited by Ipheuria; 01-12-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    01-12-2011 03:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD