Unlock Verizon iPhone to run on Sprint?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Considering that it takes an act of congress as well as hacking skills to get one cdma carrier to allow someone else's hardware on their network, somewhere between March and Never.

My bet is that a Verizon iPhone will work on Cricket long before Sprint.

deferom

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Not an expert on CDMA or anything like that, but could we make it so Sprint thinks it's an EVO or Pre when they activate it over the phone?

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not an expert on CDMA or anything like that, but could we make it so Sprint thinks it's an EVO or Pre when they activate it over the phone?

You wouldn't have to be shady about it. Look @ T-Mobile, they have a department dedicated to helpinq with iPhones on T-Mobile USA. If/when Sprint becomes an option, it would be foolish for them to turn people away.

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
But that's just it. Sprint currently turns away anyone with any device that isn't branded Sprint. Verizon does t his as well, despite news a few years ago that they were supposed to provision each others' devices.

The fact is, they would rather sell you a new piece of garbage hardware than provision someone else's. That goes for both Sprint and Verizon.

The reason I suggested Cricket is that they do have a history of helping their customers to provision someone else's hardware on their network.

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
But that's just it. Sprint currently turns away anyone with any device that isn't branded Sprint. Verizon does t his as well, despite news a few years ago that they were supposed to provision each others' devices.

The fact is, they would rather sell you a new piece of garbage hardware than provision someone else's. That goes for both Sprint and Verizon.

The reason I suggested Cricket is that they do have a history of helping their customers to provision someone else's hardware on their network.

I agree to an extent. T-Mobile was the same way pre-iPhone. They wanted you to buy their phones, and wouldn't let you use anything else. The iPhone, because soo many people use it and want it, made them look at things a little differently.

Sprint, had no reason to entertain the idea, because they weren't presented with the possiblity of allowing an iPhone on it's network. I feel, because the iPhone is SOOO "Main-Stream", it would be foolish for SPRINT to just turn away iPhones. VERY foolish.

This is all assuming a JB/Unlock happens allowing this, of course.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The difference is that T-Mo is a GSM carrier, so it doesn't take more than a simple unlock on a device to run on their network.

CDMA is totally different. You need the assistance of the carrier. You can't just unlock a cdma phone.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
There is no such thing as unlocking a cdma phone. (unless it's a dual band gsm/cdma device) Technically, they are not locked to a carrier, but the carrier must activate that device ESN on their network. Sprint will not activate a Verizon device on their network, and vice-versa. End of story.

Last edited:

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
There is no such thing as unlocking a cdma phone. (unless it's a dual band gsm/cdma device) Technically, they are not locked to a carrier, but the carrier must activate that device ESN on their network. Sprint will not activate a Verizon device on their network, and vice-versa. End of story.

That's what I thought and why I didn't understand the label on this thread.

Reactions: Semerio

zachaj

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to change a device's ESN, or is it hardcoded?

i.e. If you have an existing Sprint phone, could you jailbreak a CDMA iPhone and give it your existing phone's ESN?

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The difference is that T-Mo is a GSM carrier, so it doesn't take more than a simple unlock on a device to run on their network.

CDMA is totally different. You need the assistance of the carrier. You can't just unlock a cdma phone.

Agreed, but, SPRINT would be foolish to just turn those people away is the point I was making.

deferom

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
CDMA devices aren't locked per say, but Sprint and Verizon won't activate devices not from their networks. However, some smaller carriers will activate them.

What I'm thinking is, for example, I have an EVO. Would there be anyway to make Sprint my Verizon iPhone 4 is my EVO?

You wouldn't have to be shady about it. Look @ T-Mobile, they have a department dedicated to helpinq with iPhones on T-Mobile USA. If/when Sprint becomes an option, it would be foolish for them to turn people away.

They'd be foolish to turn people away, but they'd much rather sell people on a new EVO contract. Like they did with me. ;P

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Here is what Sprint had to say about the iPhone

Thanks for the... | Facebook

CDMA devices aren't locked per say, but Sprint and Verizon won't activate devices not from their networks. However, some smaller carriers will activate them.

What I'm thinking is, for example, I have an EVO. Would there be anyway to make Sprint my Verizon iPhone 4 is my EVO?

They'd be foolish to turn people away, but they'd much rather sell people on a new EVO contract. Like they did with me. ;P

Same here. $100 deposit due to my limited credit history compared to ATT's $500. plus I love the large screen, widgets, camera with scene modes, "4G". Video chat over wifi, 3G and 4G anmd being able to stream it live over the air.So what if it doesn't have a shinny Apple logo, or a high res display. I want a phone that makes phone calls lol.

na, I'm not sure about ATT's service down here, butm I'm so used to this large screen it would be foolish to downsize to the baby screen,

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
So after the iPhone 4.2.1 unlock for GSM, how soon before the Jailbreak masterminds get the Verizon iPhone unlocked for Sprint? =)

Can you even unlock a CDMA phone? Verizon and Sprint don't activate phones from other CDMA networks as far as I know because they claim it might not be optimzed for their network. On top of that Sprint is worse than AT&T so why would you even waste your time?

deferom

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Can you even unlock a CDMA phone? Verizon and Sprint don't activate phones from other CDMA networks as far as I know because they claim it might not be optimzed for their network. On top of that Sprint is worse than AT&T so why would you even waste your time?

Why would I pick Sprint over AT&T? WiMAX, cost, coverage, selection, etc.

Same here. $100 deposit due to my limited credit history compared to ATT's $500. plus I love the large screen, widgets, camera with scene modes, "4G". Video chat over wifi, 3G and 4G anmd being able to stream it live over the air.So what if it doesn't have a shinny Apple logo, or a high res display. I want a phone that makes phone calls lol.

I love my EVO. And it may not have a shiny Apple logo, but it does have a shiny HTC logo.

mgrayo01

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just Jailbreak?

Regardless of whether the CDMA iPhone can be unlocked or not, it will definitely be possible to just Jailbreak it using greenpoison or whatever, right?

My ONLY gripe about the iPhone is the lack of customization, otherwise, I love my iPod Touch and am envious of all my friends who have iPhones already. I've never owned an iPhone and know very little about Jailbreaking, but it seems that Jailbreaking allows more customization.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Why would I pick Sprint over AT&T? WiMAX, cost, coverage, selection, etc.

I love my EVO. And it may not have a shiny Apple logo, but it does have a shiny HTC logo.

Chrome HTC logo with the kickstand... mmmmmm I just hate that the camera sticks out, but meh, I do love the scene modes on the camera.

jackie treehorn

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Regardless of whether the CDMA iPhone can be unlocked or not, it will definitely be possible to just Jailbreak it using greenpoison or whatever, right?

My ONLY gripe about the iPhone is the lack of customization, otherwise, I love my iPod Touch and am envious of all my friends who have iPhones already. I've never owned an iPhone and know very little about Jailbreaking, but it seems that Jailbreaking allows more customization.

All depends if Apple patched the bootrom exploit that those programs use

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen