4.0.1 to 4.1 question

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Planning to update tonight?can I still follow the guide in Farbod's FAQ about using Tiny Umbrella? Then just run greenpoison?

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
In order to restore with tiny umbrella you need SHSH's blobs, if you have never been on 4.1 before, then you wont have them, therefore you will not be able to update to 4.1 I believe.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
No, I've got the blobs. (You don't need to be on a particular firmware to save SHSH; Cydia will save whatever is current.)

Any other possible issues?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Went ahead and did it. (I needed updates for a couple of video apps that were only for 4.1 or greater.)
Good news is everything went perfectly--Tiny Umbrella, Greenpois0n, etc, and all my old Cydia favorites are still good for 4.1.

I love it when a plan comes together.

GuyZ

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure about this? Cydia saves blobs for versions you never had? I'm using 4.1 for an instance, and I just opened up Cydia and it doesn't mention having 4.2.1 blobs for my device.

Raja2837

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey Massie, I see that you recently updated from 4.01 to 4.1 which is what i'm also looking to do cuz it doesn't seem like new JB is coming til after 4.3. I had a couple questions if you don't mind. Were you able to preserve your unlock? I do have my blobs saved with tiny umbrella and all and where exactly did you find the directions to do this? Thanks alot.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Instructions are in Farbod's jailbreak FAQ. I'm on AT&T so didn't bother looking at unlock, but looking at my Settings shows I'm still at 1.59.00. If it's absolutely essential for you, don't take my experience as gospel, but I'm pretty sure that's what the 1004 error is from Tiny Umbrella--that the baseband doesn't match the expected one. (That's when you use Kick Device Out of Recovery.)

GuyZ: I'm at 4.1, but Cydia has my blobs for 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1, and 4.2b3. I think how quickly it saves them has t do with how busy Saurik's servers are (and maybe how often you log into Cydia?).

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey Massie, I see that you recently updated from 4.01 to 4.1 which is what i'm also looking to do cuz it doesn't seem like new JB is coming til after 4.3. I had a couple questions if you don't mind. Were you able to preserve your unlock? I do have my blobs saved with tiny umbrella and all and where exactly did you find the directions to do this? Thanks alot.

These were the exact instructions I used:

1. Download and run TinyUmbrella and make sure your iDevice is detected.

2. Check ?Advanced Options.?

3. Under ?Device / Version,? select the firmware version you want to Save (You can only restore to versions that have SHSH saved).

4. Click on ?Save my SHSH.?

5. Repeat to save other firmware hashes if you wish.

6. Now, click on ?Display SHSHs.? It should listed all hashes you have saved on your computer for all your iDevices.

Instructions for restoring:

(Make sure you have saved your SHSH blob locally using method above. If not, repeat the method above for the firmware you wish to restore to.)

1. Backup iDevice in iTunes and then close iTunes.

2. Open TinyUmbrella and make sure you don't get any errors on startup or else you will need to make sure that port 80 is open and that your host file is not set to Read-Only.

3. Click on Start ?TSS server,?

4. Download firmware you wish to restore to from here: iPhone/iPodTouch

5. Open iTunes and use the Shift/Option + Restore method to choose the firmware file you wish to restore to (Upgrade button cannot be used)

6. After your firmware is restored you might get a 1004 error. Not to worry, simply click ?Kick Device out of Recovery? if you get it.

7. Restore Settings from Backup in iTunes and sync.