I've got an iPhone 3GS running 4.2.1. I've jailbroken before, but I removed it when 4.1 came out, mostly due to battery issues that seem to be fixed now.

When I jailbroke earlier, I had the following installed:

Winterboard
    Cydia (obviously)
    BiteSMS
    SBSettings
    Whatever let me have 5 icons on my dock
    iBlank (I think that's what it was called)

As well as a couple of themes for my Springboard and LockScreen.

I'm not really concerned about having a tethered jailbreak as long as I don't have to reboot during the day when I'm away from my home PC. Mostly I want to jailbreak for themes. I don't care about BiteSMS anymore, but I do want to know if there are issues with random reboots that I should be aware of. It would be a total pain in the *** for my phone to be useless in the middle of the day.
    01-03-2011 01:56 PM
    I haven't had any random reboots since installing redsn0w. However, you just need to be careful of what you install via Cydia when you are away from your computer. If you are just concerned with themes, you should be ok, as most of the themes i have seen in cydia only require a respring of the springboard, not a full reboot.
    liquidzoo likes this.
    01-03-2011 06:21 PM
    Thanks.

Most of the themes I've installed in the past have been done via ssh rather than through Cydia, though there have been a couple of Cydia tweaks here and there; I'm mostly concerned with having my phone randomly reboot itself at 6am just as I get to work and having it be useless to me for 10 hours.
    01-04-2011 08:07 AM
    Thanks.

Most of the themes I've installed in the past have been done via ssh rather than through Cydia, though there have been a couple of Cydia tweaks here and there; I'm mostly concerned with having my phone randomly reboot itself at 6am just as I get to work and having it be useless to me for 10 hours.
    I understand. But really, you shouldn't worry about it, cause it shouldn't just randomly reboot for no reason.
    01-04-2011 12:19 PM
    I would not JB with 4.2.1 as it wil be tethered. I'd wait for a untethered
    01-04-2011 02:09 PM
    I would not JB with 4.2.1 as it wil be tethered. I'd wait for a untethered
    Tethered doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't randomly reboot during the day. Really, there's no difference as long as you don't reboot your phone.
    01-04-2011 02:21 PM
    Tethered doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't randomly reboot during the day. Really, there's no difference as long as you don't reboot your phone.
    My phone did a random reboot the other day when I was on vacation. I know reboots are rare but I would have been in LA with out a phone until I got back to where I was staying several hours later.
    01-04-2011 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD