Tethered JB--what NOT to install?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I just jb'ed my girlfriend's 3GS, and while I thought it was an older bootrom model it turned out to be a newer one. Not a big deal, but my concern is her needing to reboot in the wild. I'd like her to still be able to use the phone even if she can't use any of the JB apps.

So far all I've installed is Winterboard and a bunch of new SMS tones (the reason she wanted it jb'ed in the first place) but it seems that even that means running redsn0w for every reboot?

I can certainly replace her tones manually if need be, but can anyone tell me if there is a way to use Winterboard without requiring the redsn0w boot? Thanks!

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Believe, anything that uses mobile substrate will give you trouble on reboot with this semi-tethered JB. In other words, most of apps you would want to use on JB phone.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If you use BiteSMS to handle your sms tones, you don't have to install Winterboard and can get by on far fewer resets.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
It's not the resprings I care about, but the reboots which require re-running redsn0w...I can't seem to boot into the semi-tethered state that makes this version so useful. Here's what I wrote in another forum:

After successfully jb'ing my girlfriend's late-model 3GS and installing Cydia, I can't seem to get it to reboot into the "JB apps won't work but you can still use the phone" mode. Every reboot is requiring a tethered run of redsn0w.

Again, I haven't installed anything yet via Cydia. Is Cydia itself now installing something that is preventing the non-jb reboot?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
That could be biteSMS if you're not using the latest beta for 4.2.1. Also, SBSettings with Activator was causing safe mode crashes...

For now I've just decided to bite the bullet and install Winterboard. As long as she doesn't power off by mistake all should be fine, and really there isn't a lot you can do without installing something that requires a tethered jb.

bizfox

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yep, don't install lockinfo and bitesms together. Use the latest bitesms beta (beta 11, I think?), which will work with lockinfo without crashing the system.

maxburn

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
It has been explained to me that you want to not have activator or SBsettings. They are mobile substrate changes that keep you from rebooting tethered.

Unfortunately most of the reasons for a JB are gone but I think things like mywi, possibly unlock, or one of the forms of data sharing should work.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods