Update iOS 4.0 to 4.1 when 4.2.1 is out problem?

Prime1981

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi there, sorry for a stupid question, i am a total noob, but basically i bought an iphone 4 a while ago, it had iOS 4.0 on it, and when 4.1 came out i updated normally through iTunes and then jailbroke it with Greenpoison. My girlfriend just bought an iPhone 4 too with iOS version 4.0, so since 4.2.1 is out i downloaded 4.1 manually and tried to install it through update (press shift) on iTunes and half way through i get an error message and it wants to restore to factory settings and then update to 4.2.1. What am i doing wrong, i have read around and i think its because iTunes doesn't sign for it anymore because of 4.2.1 being out and maybe something to do with SHSH blobs maybe, don't really get it....help anyone :p thanks in advance for any assistance :)

maxburn

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Search around the forums and learn about shsh. Basically apple doesn't want you to be able to do that so if you aren't prepared you cant.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Does your girlfriend want to Jailbreak? If not, just go to 4.2.1. If she does, save your SHSH blobs with Cydia or Tiny Umbrella and wait.

Otherwise you can do a tethered Jailbreak of 4.2.1 via redsn0w. It's annoying at first but gets smoother once you're set up.

Prime1981

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Hiya, thanks so much for the replies :) will read about shsh blobs :). yeah she does want to jailbreak, because she has the proximity sensor issue like my iPhone and it's annoying the hell out of her, and i am using a program to lock the screen from cydia which has helped a lot. So i am debating to jailbreak at 4.0, to help relieve her suffering a little, but would have preferred to do it with 4.1, since there is not an easy untethered jailbreak for 4.2.1. I tried a tethered jailbreak once, sorry to say...never again lol :p just don't want to have a problem for her if she ever restarts her phone without being next to a pc :)