Yet another BATTERY DRAIN ISSUE thread

paco87

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Are you noticing a lot of data usage? I know your phone isn't unlocked, but if you see a lot of data usage you may want to try Push Doctor. My unlocked 3gs was constantly using data to download proper push certificates, and Push Doctor fixed the problem. I had absolutely horrendous battery life before trying this fix, and now my battery life is really good.

It may be worth a try.

@Kelly, following your suggestion, I added the NERV repo to my Cydia sources and downloaded Push Doctor but I keep getting a "Half-Installed Package" notice and can't use PD. I don't know how many times I had deleted PD plus all of its package components (one by one) and the repo. After that, I reinstall everything again, only to get the same message. Any idea?

kellyp513

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have any problems with installation and everything worked on the first try. I did read of others having to install a few times to get it working, but you've already tried that. Maybe you can search for push doctor installation problems and find some help on why it's not installing for you.

I noticed that you said you're using unlockit.co.nz to change APN settings so that you can use data since your data plan is for a blackberry. I'm on t-mobile with a blackberry plan and I only needed to change settings so that mms would work. Maybe your APN settings are causing a problem?

Sorry you've having this problem. I know how annoying the battery drain thing is. Until I found push doctor, I had to keep data off until I needed to use it. Are you noticing big data usage even when you're not using the phone? If you are, trying turning data off and see if your battery life improves. If it does, then I bet you are having the same issue as I was.

nillam1

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Nillam1, I'll check the BatteryDetective right now but if you keep me posted on your findings, I'll appreciate it. The battery issue is the only thing keeping me from leaving BlackBerry. I know it's a little bit boring compared to the iPhone but I really need to know that the charge will last through the day. To illustrate the situation, yesterday I was using the iPhone non-stop for about an hour to plan a Christmas dinner with some friends and, at the end of that hour, the phone had lost 20% of the charge. No open apps, no GPS, no nothing, just talking. In contrast, I have been pounding the BB today since 7:00 am. Now it's 6:30 pm and I'm still at 58%. Now, I know that not all phones are equal and I can comfortably live with a faster battery drain that what I get from my BB but not at the cost not JB'ing or not using the phone for other than talking.

Battery Detective is very good & well worth the money. It can analyze each app individually & gives very detailed info about the battery. Here's some screen shots instead of typing away.

View attachment 7657

View attachment 7658

View attachment 7659

paco87

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have any problems with installation and everything worked on the first try. I did read of others having to install a few times to get it working, but you've already tried that. Maybe you can search for push doctor installation problems and find some help on why it's not installing for you.

I noticed that you said you're using unlockit.co.nz to change APN settings so that you can use data since your data plan is for a blackberry. I'm on t-mobile with a blackberry plan and I only needed to change settings so that mms would work. Maybe your APN settings are causing a problem?

Sorry you've having this problem. I know how annoying the battery drain thing is. Until I found push doctor, I had to keep data off until I needed to use it. Are you noticing big data usage even when you're not using the phone? If you are, trying turning data off and see if your battery life improves. If it does, then I bet you are having the same issue as I was.

@kelly, I was finally able to download Push Doctor but I don't see it listed in Settings nor there is an icon. Should I assume that the app just works in the background? If so, I haven't noticed anything different regarding the battery drain.

kellyp513

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it works in the background - the only thing I did after the installation was restart the phone, and my battery problem was solved. My problem was due to data constantly being used to download proper push certificates. Push Doctor fixed that issue, so data usage went back to normal and my battery drain problem ended.

It sounds as though your problem isn't data related. My suggestion would be to turn data off for about an hour and see if it makes any difference in the battery drain - that way you should know for sure whether data usage has anything to do with it.

Pete Sake

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I jailbroke an Iphone 3g 4.2.1 and my battery lasts about 2-3 hours max and then its over!! wish there was a fix for this.

paco87

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I jailbroke an Iphone 3g 4.2.1 and my battery lasts about 2-3 hours max and then its over!! wish there was a fix for this.

OMG :eek:, now I am feeling bad for complaining. My battery drain is bad but not THAT bad. Even when using a navigation app, the charge lasts at least 6-7 hours. Perhaps it's your battery rather than a software problem. After jailbreaking, did you unlocked the phone with redsn0w? If so, there's a fix for that. Check the forums here or in Google. I am still in 4.1 and locked so the fix doesn't apply to my situation but maybe it can help you.

paco87

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
OMG :eek:, now I am feeling bad for complaining. My battery drain is bad but not THAT bad. Even when using a navigation app, the charge lasts at least 6-7 hours. Perhaps it's your battery rather than a software problem. After jailbreaking, did you unlocked the phone with redsn0w? If so, there's a fix for that. Check the forums here or in Google. I am still in 4.1 and locked so the fix doesn't apply to my situation but maybe it can help you.

@Pete, did this worked for you?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods