4.2.1 untethered is almost here... My Foot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
[enter soapbox]

I first want to apologize for this post, but maybe I do not understand "almost" like I thought I did.

Are they waiting on 4.3?

It would be great to have 4.2.1 Jail Broken. If there is a 4.3, let us keep our JB as our 4.2.1 from 3.2 JB will be much greater than our 4.3 from 4.2.1.

In short, I have a new iPad and have never experienced the JB on it like I have with my phone.

Thanks

[/exit soapbox]

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
They are currently working on the untethered JB for iOS 4.2.1. Please be patient, as this process can take some time to complete and the people working on them are doing so for free. Please appreciate their time, and let them do their thing. You dont want a rushed JB, you want a perfect JB.

Reactions: ericpantano

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
We're waiting for them to code a bug free untethered jailbreak that they will give us for free. Because they are doing it for their own entertainment and we are not paying for it, we will wait as long as it takes, even if "soon" turns into "a while" turns into "quite some time." We'll get it when we get it and we'll be grateful.

Reactions: ericpantano

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
The problem with some of you feel you are entitled to a free JB. Not mr. I will pay for a JB and it is too bad they do not charge as it would speed things up.

I know many are you are huge fans of open source, but I am a bigger fan of business and capitalism.

With that said, I do appreciate what they contribute but unlike those above, I'm nit asking them to do in their free time for nothing.

Let us pay you for prompt jail breaks.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
where is your proof that some of us feel like we are entitled to a free JB?

i have no problem paying for it as long as it is done right and bug free, it's a double edge sword i guess

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
You guys gotta realize that a lot of these guys are like 18-21. If a hot girl moves next door, it will delay things a couple days. If 7-11 runs out of code red mountain dew, nothing is gonna happen that night.

Just relax and be patient...

Reactions: soulfulzeta

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I don't think that paying would speed anything up either. Paying does nothing to change the steps that they have to go through nor will it change the fact that some of them have other jobs and are in school. They already have their own motivation to do it as fast as they can. Being the cat and mouse game they are out to prove that they are better than apple. Paying won't make a difference.

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
@crystus - I do not think that you have any real perception of reality. Money is not a motivator? Are you kidding. Many are not in the JB scene these days because they do not have the time to mess with it. How often do you contribute 100+ hours to something that does not pay money?

@BLINK - It has to be "bug free"? I am in favor of it being tested to death but I realize that there will be problems. Apple, Microsoft, and all companies release products that later have bugs. It's part of it.

@farbod - I am being patient... even though it does not sound like it and I understand the whole cat and mouse game and the coders need to not let Apple know what their plan is... I just really want to experience a JB iPad.

Thanks all for contributing. Enjoy your day.

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I think Steve Jobs is winning this round. When Geo Hotz came up with his last awesome jb making iP4 breakable forever, everyone was under the impression that a jb would only take hours when 4.2 came out. Obviously some things were done by Apple to make the untethered part of that WAY more difficult than anticipated. Sorry, but a tethered iPhone jb is as good as no jb for me. And if the jb community is one or two firmwares behind that's not much help either.

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
@pilotnh - Exactly. I'm glad you see where I am coming from.

For too long, thousands have taken advantage of the scene (including some of those above) and now updates are slow to reach the market.

It's time to commercialize the JB scene and to pay people for their work. No work, no money. Successful work, many USD.

longshadows

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
We're waiting for them to code a bug free untethered jailbreak that they will give us for free. Because they are doing it for their own entertainment and we are not paying for it, we will wait as long as it takes, even if "soon" turns into "a while" turns into "quite some time." We'll get it when we get it and we'll be grateful.

Excellent comment, Alli. Well spoken and worth remembering for all of us who derive benefit for the folks who make these things happen. :)

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Well I happen to agree with @osensnolf. I would be willing to pay for the jailbreak if it was done better and in a more timely manner. Honestly I would rather have someone more reliable than the 18-21 year olds (who seem to be easily distracted) that @Farbod mentioned working on it.

grajasekar

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Well if we all start paying then it opens the door to people who would try to extort us. One person charging helluva lot more for a JB than another. But there'll still be nuts, including some of us ready to humor them and pay. That'll serve as impetus for everyone else to increase the going rate too. Finally you'll find that you've got a whole new set of problems. Besides I think if these people were that interested in money right now, wouldn't they have been bought over by the good folks at Apple already?

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
It's interesting how LongShadows and Alli have not mentioned that they would pay for the JB. Instead, they are ready to take something for free and not give back.

Why do I get the feeling that they are also the ones that will walk past the Salvation Army bell ringers at Christmas without thinking twice about donating...

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
@gragasekar - There is a difference between doing it to beat the system and between simply making money. Giving the JB to Apple will not show that they beat the system and gave to the JB community. I'm not sure why you all expect this to be a free service that you are entitled to.

So what if we have to pay. There are many cases in life where we pay for the extra benefit that comes along with it.

If the price is too high, I will not JB. If the price is too high, new folks will enter the scene and provide better updates and more quickly.

Currently, there are no incentives for people to learn to hack/JB as it doesn't pay. Instead, they spend their time doing other things where the dominate or make money.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
It's time to commercialize the JB scene and to pay people for their work. No work, no money. Successful work, many USD.

now that jailbreaking IS technically legal i can see this being a possibility, one day.. hopefully, but for now our JB fate lies in the hands of some pretty intelligent teenagers. you can tell by their tweets and blogs their egos are pretty high and rightfully so

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
It's interesting how LongShadows and Alli have not mentioned that they would pay for the JB. Instead, they are ready to take something for free and not give back.
Why do I get the feeling that they are also the ones that will walk past the Salvation Army bell ringers at Christmas without thinking twice about donating...

+1 Agree totally

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I agreed to this point but don't necessarily agree with the personal attack on Alli and LongShadows. They are just the pawns in a system that has to this point, continued to provide them with a free service. If someone came along with a jailbreak today I would probably be willing pay for it. And depending on the price they might too. I don't think that since they have always gotten, and therefore expect, a free jailbreak that they might not be charitable people.

I'm a strong believer in "you get what you pay for". Up to this point the developers were "paid" by having their egos stoked. That's getting a little old for them and their incentive has obviously diminished. I think it didn't help that the day before the dev team was about to release a jb last time, Geo Hotz released a better one. Why should they work so hard this time if someone else could come along and take all the credit again.

I predict a paid jailbreak in the future to keep them working at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2