Post your lock screens or homescreens

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
sbsettings has a pretty cool feature that will show you the path to whatever app/icon you need

this tutorial has really helped me a lot for doing exactly what you are asking about

Daily Tip: How to set custom app icons on iPhone or iPad [Jailbreak] | TiPb

Grrr... *pulling my hair out over this one*

There has to be a secret handshake or something... I followed this to the letter, but the original icons are still showing... I created the new bundle, added the icons... saved everything and resprung via winterboard...

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Hank, did you move the custom the folder, in winterboard, to the top?

even if you did sometimes you have to move it down, let go, then move it back up so it forces the respring

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
About the icon shadows: there used to be WB themes for it with names like No Icon Shadow and No Docked Icon Shadow. I never used them, and am not sure if they work with iOS 4 but they are definitely worth a shot.

Alternatively, you could try this:
Changing icon shadow/overlay with no winterboard - MacRumors Forums
Basically you need to edit the original to have a transparent background. Good luck!

man, i was really hoping the No Icon Shadow and No Docked Icon Shadow, in Cydia, would have done the trick.. did not work :mad:

the other method i may give it a try once i feel like going back to those icons, currently rocking stock icons... for now :D

side note: it's funny how there seems to be a handful of people who dislike Winterboard, and passionately too.. why is that?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hank, did you move the custom the folder, in winterboard, to the top?

even if you did sometimes you have to move it down, let go, then move it back up so it forces the respring

I didn't create a custom folder... i added it to the existing theme... is that the issue? I'll try that and see...

EDIT: NO difference...

I have downloaded several themes to see how they work, and so far, they all have Icons folders containing all of the custom icons, but nothing except the com.apple.springboard and com.apple.TelephonyUI folders under Bundles... how, exactly is that done? This think is kicking my butt... :)

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I didn't create a custom folder... i added it to the existing theme... is that the issue? I'll try that and see...

EDIT: NO difference...

I have downloaded several themes to see how they work, and so far, they all have Icons folders containing all of the custom icons, but nothing except the com.apple.springboard and com.apple.TelephonyUI folders under Bundles... how, exactly is that done? This think is kicking my butt... :)

so you have it mapped as such?

var>stash>Themes>[custom folder]>Bundles>[custom icons]

*remember the icon names are case sensitive [Icon@2x.png | icon@2x.png] and have to be named EXACTLY as Apple has them named

email me your custom folder if you like via .zip

acarpenter

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link! I just loaded it. It looks pretty clean but it's not anywhere near yours yet lol. This post should help. Just curious did you change the color of the wallpaper yourself?

Thanks

Glasklart HD - iPad & iPhone 4 ready

if anyone is interested; here is a very LONG thread that explains, in detail, how to set this up properly

MacThemes Forum / [theme] Glasklart HD 1.7 - Read First Post! Includes Black Icons Fix

[

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Reactions: SteveyAsp

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
man, i was really hoping the No Icon Shadow and No Docked Icon Shadow, in Cydia, would have done the trick.. did not work :mad:

the other method i may give it a try once i feel like going back to those icons, currently rocking stock icons... for now :D

side note: it's funny how there seems to be a handful of people who dislike Winterboard, and passionately too.. why is that?

I also just noticed that there is a 4.2.1 specific version of No Icon Shadow...did you use that one?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
so you have it mapped as such?

var>stash>Themes>[custom folder]>Bundles>[custom icons]

*remember the icon names are case sensitive [Icon@2x.png | icon@2x.png] and have to be named EXACTLY as Apple has them named

email me your custom folder if you like via .zip

Yes, I believe so... I've looked through it several times...

the file's on the way... thanks

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
there is one problem i have ran into and i am hoping Massie or somebody can help me out with..

when adding a non-traditional shaped icon, in place of any of the stock icons, there is the black shadowing behind it. no matter what sort of tweaking i do to the Springboard.app it remains. very frustrating..

Maybe I don't get what you're saying because didn't you help me with just this with icons on my dock?

Hank I work with everything on my computer. I have all my themes, icons, lockscreens, keyboards, etc in folders. When I put a theme together I put it on the phone as testing. Which icons are you having problems changing? I had no problem with my phone icon. However my notes, maps, camera, photos, carrier and weather will not friggin change. I tried everything, I'm wondering if it's pulling from a cache. I just let it be while I work on my own theme from scratch. Then when I finish that I will see if the icons change and if not I'll try and try. Is your file a png? When I get home I'll look at how my phone icon is located and named. I'll even send you my theme and you could see if it changes then.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
That cache idea rings a bell...follow the link in my earlier post to macrumors, then to modmyi from that thread...I remember someone mentioning having to delete a springboard cache. Might help, sorry I don't have experience with that particular issue!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hank I work with everything on my computer. I have all my themes, icons, lockscreens, keyboards, etc in folders. When I put a theme together I put it on the phone as testing. Which icons are you having problems changing? I had no problem with my phone icon. However my notes, maps, camera, photos, carrier and weather will not friggin change. I tried everything, I'm wondering if it's pulling from a cache. I just let it be while I work on my own theme from scratch. Then when I finish that I will see if the icons change and if not I'll try and try. Is your file a png? When I get home I'll look at how my phone icon is located and named. I'll even send you my theme and you could see if it changes then.

I'd appreciate the files, man. Yes, the files are icon@2x.png and icon.png... I think they are from BLiNK's zip file... I followed the detail guide on the TiPb front page that talks about changing stock icons, and believe that I have done the steps exactly as described there (and quoted by BLiNK)... but no go... It's frustrating, but will be worth it when it's done - if we get there. :)

Since the items are/may be cached, I could see the problems... but wouldn't a hard reset clear the cache? Oh, well, it will work when it works (IF it works) :) This is definitely a learning experience...

ARSkemp

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Lockscreen:

Homescreen

Main Theme - Elite Pro HD (icons, theming in ipod, phone, mail, etc) purchased on cydia.
Slider - Revolte HD Slider
Lockscreen - Modified a version of the LS Nimbus
Signal and Wifi - Forgot where I got them. I modified them a while ago, but when I downloaded them their original name was "signalwifi.theme".

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I also just noticed that there is a 4.2.1 specific version of No Icon Shadow...did you use that one?

yes, tried it. no luck

Yes, I believe so... I've looked through it several times...

the file's on the way... thanks

not sure if you got my email or not but inside that .zip is a folder named: Blue Apple Clean 2

i took that folder and put it into my var>stash>Themes and set it in winterboard.. all the necessary icons were available on my springboard..

acarpenter

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I got the theme working nicely! I followed the instructions and renamed the file and all looked good. From what I can tell you have to download the extra Icons from the google docs page? Im guessing you have to ssh the icons into a folder? Rename the old one for the new one? Which folder do they go into?

Also here's my lock screen and home screen....

yes, tried it. no luck

not sure if you got my email or not but inside that .zip is a folder named: Blue Apple Clean 2

i took that folder and put it into my var>stash>Themes and set it in winterboard.. all the necessary icons were available on my springboard..

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
yes, tried it. no luck

Now this is going to bug me. I'll look into it, but another idea would be to get in touch with the creator of the Carbon X theme--didn't you say earlier that you were using some of his icons, which don't seem to have that problem?

If you hear anything, let us know!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I remember that too but couldn't remember where I read it. I'll go back to your link.

So here is the relevant quote, but I don't know if it still holds for 4.x software:

Ah sorry you may need to remove the spring board caches.
I cant remember the exact path but is something like / var/applications/library/caches/
there are some artwork cache files in there remove them then reboot and it should work.
Ive got all the info at home but im at work at the mo

edit:

Also with the new artwork file that you have. Try exporting it again to a new empty "other" folder and make sure the files you replaced are there. Ive had an issue with replacing file and re-importing where the replaced files where not imported.
Last edited by Mess; Oct 16, 2009 at 08:42 AM.

Oct 16, 2009, 09:23 AM #6
Cupra
DONE !!

works perfect cheers mate

Those are located in /var/mobile/Library/Caches, there are 2 icon cache files there, one for the springboard icons (full size) and one for spotlight (small size).

Good luck again, hope that leads you in the right direction anyway.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
yes, tried it. no luck

One more question: are you talking about a shadow that's always behind the odd-shaped icon, or one that only shows up when you press on the icon? See this thread for a possibility.

I think both you and Ipheuria might get a lot out of this thread over at modmyi. A lot being discussed, including icon shadows and Ipheuria's elusive stock icon replacements...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'd appreciate the files, man. Yes, the files are icon@2x.png and icon.png... I think they are from BLiNK's zip file... I followed the detail guide on the TiPb front page that talks about changing stock icons, and believe that I have done the steps exactly as described there (and quoted by BLiNK)... but no go... It's frustrating, but will be worth it when it's done - if we get there. :)

Since the items are/may be cached, I could see the problems... but wouldn't a hard reset clear the cache? Oh, well, it will work when it works (IF it works) :) This is definitely a learning experience...

Sorry hank I forgot I didn't bring my laptop home but I will send you the theme tomorrow. You can add me on twitter or shoot me a PM with your email addie so I know where to send it.

Main Theme - Elite Pro HD (icons, theming in ipod, phone, mail, etc) purchased on cydia.
Slider - Revolte HD Slider
Lockscreen - Modified a version of the LS Nimbus
Signal and Wifi - Forgot where I got them. I modified them a while ago, but when I downloaded them their original name was "signalwifi.theme".

Thank you that's one nice ass theme gotta get that one :D
Massie thanks for the links I'll check the cache location and also check that thread out :D

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2