So i've had the iPhone 4 since launch day, it's on a JB OS4.1 and the world is happy. HOWEVER, suddenly that ugly yellow tint has appeared on the screen, it's enough to bug me everytime I see it. I have the option to return it and get a new one but i'm sure they'll give me a 4.2 one, any way to downgrade that one by saving the firmware from the old one? Or am I screwed? Advise, thoughts, lotto numbers please? (and if this has already been posted before please forgive me, i'm at work and have to keep hiding the window when my boss walks by)
    12-10-2010 07:49 AM
    You know that 4.2 has been jailbroken, right? I say go for it.
    12-10-2010 07:57 AM
    So i've had the iPhone 4 since launch day, it's on a JB OS4.1 and the world is happy. HOWEVER, suddenly that ugly yellow tint has appeared on the screen, it's enough to bug me everytime I see it. I have the option to return it and get a new one but i'm sure they'll give me a 4.2 one, any way to downgrade that one by saving the firmware from the old one? Or am I screwed? Advise, thoughts, lotto numbers please? (and if this has already been posted before please forgive me, i'm at work and have to keep hiding the window when my boss walks by)
    Only way to install / restore to a firmware that Apple doesn't allow is to have saved old SHSH files for that firmware. And, SHSH files are unique for each iPhone and firmware so it won't help on a different phone.

If you return, people are reporting that they are still able to get them in 4.1 so there's still hope. And, if you get a 4.2, you still can do tethered JB.
    12-10-2010 09:14 AM
    You know that 4.2 has been jailbroken, right? I say go for it.
    Yes. But it is currently only a tethered jailbreak. I would say try and deal with it until the official untethered JB is released and then go swap your phone and rejailbreak. But there is no way for you to save the firmware from the phone you currently have and use it for a new phone.
    12-10-2010 11:01 AM
    Well, the reason I suggested he swap it now is that there's a chance his return window will close before the untethered JB is released. He can always re-JB with the untethered when it's released.

And really the tethered JB isn't much of an issue if you know what you're installing--I can't remember the last time I needed to reboot without wanting to. But if you haven't installed tweaks that alter the essentials, you'll be able to boot anyway; you just won't be able to use any JB apps until you connect to you computer. In other words, your phone will still work like a stock iPhone.
    farbod21 likes this.
    12-10-2010 11:13 AM
    Thank you all for your informative replies, they've helped me make the decision. Very much appreciated all!

:-)
    12-10-2010 02:11 PM
    Hopefully blobs wont be needed. I know Comex is trying hard to exploit userland in order to get everyone jailbroken...
    12-10-2010 02:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD