Unlocking iPhone 3G & 3GS official support thread (Updated 11/28/10)

entronp

May 30, 2010
Visit site
All I can say is try it on a different computer. Ive done it once with pwnagetool and once with redsn0w and both worked without a hitch...

welp, after trying a desktop with Win7, two laptops with Xp, I dug out an old single core with Xp and that finally worked, however now cydia wont work so I still can't unlock.

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
welp, after trying a desktop with Win7, two laptops with Xp, I dug out an old single core with Xp and that finally worked, however now cydia wont work so I still can't unlock.

Your JB is tethered. You must run redsn0w again to reboot the device tethered to get Cydia to work.

G Bananas

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the ATT sim card doesn't even have to be activated to use it. As long as there is a sim card in it.

OK...I just read that the hactivation process also causes some battery life issues after the device has been unlocked. I'll JB/unlock with the AT&T sim (redsn0w), then give it to my sis who'll use her T-Mobile sim. I don't think she'll ever accidentally update to the next FW, but can Cydia still save my 4.1 SHSH blobs if I need them?

Last edited:

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
OK...I just read that the hactivation process also causes some battery life issues after the device has been unlocked. I'll JB/unlock with the AT&T sim (redsn0w), then give it to my sis who'll use her T-Mobile sim. I don't think she'll ever accidentally update to the next FW, but can Cydia still save my 4.1 SHSH blobs if I need them?

No. AT&T is no longer saving 4.1 blobs. Untethered JB for 4.2.1 will hopefully come soon...

entronp

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Your JB is tethered. You must run redsn0w again to reboot the device tethered to get Cydia to work.

No its not tethered. The new cydia is really messed up but I eventually got it to work by manulally adding the repo, rebooting a lot and fighting with it.

Now it appears that Apple is blocking the baseband fetching (that was a bad idea from the start anyways)

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
No its not tethered. The new cydia is really messed up but I eventually got it to work by manulally adding the repo, rebooting a lot and fighting with it.

Now it appears that Apple is blocking the baseband fetching (that was a bad idea from the start anyways)

Not tethered? Are you not using a 3GS (new bootrom) on 4.2.1?

entronp

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I see... As long as you are using the 4.1 IPSW I dont see why you are having a problem with redsn0w... I agree depending on Apple servers was a bad idea.

Well, not sure on the 3gs but the 3g I tried had 4.1 but downgraded to 4.0.1 then JB, but when I tried to use the new software it wouldnt change the BB, so I had to get 4.1 on it again, then it worked but the new cydia is pretty bad right now and struggled getting anything to d/l from there.

But, its over now. Apple won't let you get the ipad BB anymore, so they need to make a new redsn0w that uses the ipad 3.22 firmware so we dont use Apple.com

entronp

May 30, 2010
Visit site
ok, so frustrated beyond belief I went and bought a macbook to use pwnagetool

guess what? Doesnt work!!

When its at the enter DFU mode it wont recognize a phone already in DFU, and if its shut off and ready to start the DFU process the program does nothing waiting for the phone to show up, so if you turn the phone on then it does a count down for DFU but you CANNOT shut the phone off and enter DFU mode before the count ends

freaking unbelievable...Ive been jailbreaking etc for years and this is absolutely the worst jailbreak ever.

entronp

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, I finally got into DFU fast enough by going into recovery first (which no one mentions BTW)

but now the issue is the program DOES NOT make a custom firmware LOL

WTF?? That's what its supposed to do but there isnt a new firmware that I can locate unless its hidden somewhere.

Anyone have any advice?

starbai

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Guys, not sure what to do here. I think I messed up enough as it is and now I'm trying to fix my issues.

I started with a JB 3.12 3GS. I was trying to completely wipe it out to give the phone to my cousin who wanted to use it with T-Mobile.

I wasn't thinking and did a clean delete everything from the phone itself, which of course was stupid because it was jail broken. (Going too fast, and being too stupid to make sure what I was doing was right)

So now, slowing down and reading everything I can. Hoping its not too little too late.

I didn't 'backup' anything on the phone.

Now the phone wont do anything unless I put it into recovery mode and let iTunes install 4.2. - I did not save my previous SHSH blob either. I would like to end up with 4.2 Jailbroken/Unlocked but will just settle for any kind of unlock for now.

So I'm thinking from what I'm reading here that using an old baseband here would be my savior? My main goal here is to jailbreak it and unlock it so that she can use her t-mobile sim and call it a day.

What should be my first step here since I don't have any thing installed on it right now at all?

I can pick up the instructions here and follow it to a T. But since I'm not starting with a currently 'working' phone... can anyone help me figure out my first few steps? I'm willing to read, but don't know where to start...

I'll just keep reading though the forum the best I can to pick up as much info as I can to put together my own answer if this is too much for anyone to take the time to help me through.

Figure it couldn't hurt to ask.

entronp

May 30, 2010
Visit site
It hasnt worked for me but your best bet is to use pwnagetool on a mac to cook up a custom firmware and then install that onto your phone. Its good that it was unlocked before.

Otherwise update to the newest firmware and then use pwnage since it also jb's the new firmware.

Guys, not sure what to do here. I think I messed up enough as it is and now I'm trying to fix my issues.

I started with a JB 3.12 3GS. I was trying to completely wipe it out to give the phone to my cousin who wanted to use it with T-Mobile.

I wasn't thinking and did a clean delete everything from the phone itself, which of course was stupid because it was jail broken. (Going too fast, and being too stupid to make sure what I was doing was right)

So now, slowing down and reading everything I can. Hoping its not too little too late.

I didn't 'backup' anything on the phone.

Now the phone wont do anything unless I put it into recovery mode and let iTunes install 4.2. - I did not save my previous SHSH blob either. I would like to end up with 4.2 Jailbroken/Unlocked but will just settle for any kind of unlock for now.

So I'm thinking from what I'm reading here that using an old baseband here would be my savior? My main goal here is to jailbreak it and unlock it so that she can use her t-mobile sim and call it a day.

What should be my first step here since I don't have any thing installed on it right now at all?

I can pick up the instructions here and follow it to a T. But since I'm not starting with a currently 'working' phone... can anyone help me figure out my first few steps? I'm willing to read, but don't know where to start...

I'll just keep reading though the forum the best I can to pick up as much info as I can to put together my own answer if this is too much for anyone to take the time to help me through.

Figure it couldn't hurt to ask.

kontender

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
help please.

iphone 3g/ 4.2.1/ BB 5.15.04

goal: jailbroken/unlocked

redsnow- giving message " unexpected error"
ipsw- ipad one "iPad 1,1_3.2.2_7B500_restore.ipsw"

don't know what i'm doing wrong. i have jailbroken before. so it's not the fundamental stuff. maybe i dl'd the wrong ipsw? or redsnow?
any help would be great.

Last edited:

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
help please.

iphone 3g/ 4.2.1/ BB 5.15.04

goal: jailbroken/unlocked

redsnow- giving message " unexpected error"
ipsw- ipad one "iPad 1,1_3.2.2_7B500_restore.ipsw"

don't know what i'm doing wrong. i have jailbroken before. so it's not the fundamental stuff. maybe i dl'd the wrong ipsw? or redsnow?
any help would be great.

Apple seems to have stopped allowing that baseband to be downloaded from their servers by redsn0w. Wait until an update is put out.

G Bananas

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I didn't get as far as I wanted to last night since I had to update iTunes, back up everything on the phone...then wipe it. After I fired up the new redsn0w it asked for my current ipsw. I don't plan to update to 4.2 so I needed to point it at 4.1. I couldn't find it anywhere, so I just downloaded it from Apple's server for the 3G version (iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw). I went ahead and downloaded the iPad one I needed as well. So even if I have both ipsws I need already, I can't use redsn0w to grab the correct files? Was I correct in downloading the 3G 4.1 ipsw, or did I need a custom one? Thanks.

foodd

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Looking for some guidance to unlock and JB. I have a 3G, running 4.1, bb 5.14.02, and windows 7. I have never JB/UL before and just want to make sure I do it right.

If I understand correctly, I use redsn0w and it does the work for me basically, right? I downloaded it the night it came out and just saved it so it's sitting on my desktop waiting to be used. So, hook up the iphone to usb and just run redsn0w and follow the directions? Does the phone need to be off or in a special mode or anything?

I've read through lots of posts and I'm still a little confused. Hopefully after I get through this, I'll stop feeling like such a noob. :eek:

Thanks for any help!

G Bananas

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Looking for some guidance to unlock and JB. I have a 3G, running 4.1, bb 5.14.02, and windows 7. I have never JB/UL before and just want to make sure I do it right.

If I understand correctly, I use redsn0w and it does the work for me basically, right? I downloaded it the night it came out and just saved it so it's sitting on my desktop waiting to be used. So, hook up the iphone to usb and just run redsn0w and follow the directions? Does the phone need to be off or in a special mode or anything?

I've read through lots of posts and I'm still a little confused. Hopefully after I get through this, I'll stop feeling like such a noob. :eek:

Thanks for any help!

I've JBed before, but not recently. I'm in the exact same boat as you (same phone, FW, and BB). Go ahead and also down load the IPSW for the phone you have (iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw). redsn0w will ask for this.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro