OK...I just read that the hactivation process also causes some battery life issues after the device has been unlocked. I'll JB/unlock with the AT&T sim (redsn0w), then give it to my sis who'll use her T-Mobile sim. I don't think she'll ever accidentally update to the next FW, but can Cydia still save my 4.1 SHSH blobs if I need them?
    No. AT&T is no longer saving 4.1 blobs. Untethered JB for 4.2.1 will hopefully come soon...
    11-29-2010 05:16 PM
    Your JB is tethered. You must run redsn0w again to reboot the device tethered to get Cydia to work.

No its not tethered. The new cydia is really messed up but I eventually got it to work by manulally adding the repo, rebooting a lot and fighting with it.

Now it appears that Apple is blocking the baseband fetching (that was a bad idea from the start anyways)
    11-29-2010 05:54 PM
    No its not tethered. The new cydia is really messed up but I eventually got it to work by manulally adding the repo, rebooting a lot and fighting with it.

Now it appears that Apple is blocking the baseband fetching (that was a bad idea from the start anyways)
    Not tethered? Are you not using a 3GS (new bootrom) on 4.2.1?
    11-29-2010 06:11 PM
    Not tethered? Are you not using a 3GS (new bootrom) on 4.2.1?

3gs old boot, 4.1
    11-29-2010 06:13 PM
    3gs old boot, 4.1
    I see... As long as you are using the 4.1 IPSW I dont see why you are having a problem with redsn0w... I agree depending on Apple servers was a bad idea.
    11-29-2010 06:21 PM
    I see... As long as you are using the 4.1 IPSW I dont see why you are having a problem with redsn0w... I agree depending on Apple servers was a bad idea.

Well, not sure on the 3gs but the 3g I tried had 4.1 but downgraded to 4.0.1 then JB, but when I tried to use the new software it wouldnt change the BB, so I had to get 4.1 on it again, then it worked but the new cydia is pretty bad right now and struggled getting anything to d/l from there.

But, its over now. Apple won't let you get the ipad BB anymore, so they need to make a new redsn0w that uses the ipad 3.22 firmware so we dont use Apple.com
    11-29-2010 07:19 PM
    ok, so frustrated beyond belief I went and bought a macbook to use pwnagetool

guess what? Doesnt work!!

When its at the enter DFU mode it wont recognize a phone already in DFU, and if its shut off and ready to start the DFU process the program does nothing waiting for the phone to show up, so if you turn the phone on then it does a count down for DFU but you CANNOT shut the phone off and enter DFU mode before the count ends

freaking unbelievable...Ive been jailbreaking etc for years and this is absolutely the worst jailbreak ever.
    11-29-2010 11:11 PM
    Well, I finally got into DFU fast enough by going into recovery first (which no one mentions BTW)

but now the issue is the program DOES NOT make a custom firmware LOL

WTF?? That's what its supposed to do but there isnt a new firmware that I can locate unless its hidden somewhere.

Anyone have any advice?
    11-29-2010 11:24 PM
    Guys, not sure what to do here. I think I messed up enough as it is and now I'm trying to fix my issues.

I started with a JB 3.12 3GS. I was trying to completely wipe it out to give the phone to my cousin who wanted to use it with T-Mobile.

I wasn't thinking and did a clean delete everything from the phone itself, which of course was stupid because it was jail broken. (Going too fast, and being too stupid to make sure what I was doing was right)

So now, slowing down and reading everything I can. Hoping its not too little too late.

I didn't 'backup' anything on the phone.

Now the phone wont do anything unless I put it into recovery mode and let iTunes install 4.2. - I did not save my previous SHSH blob either. I would like to end up with 4.2 Jailbroken/Unlocked but will just settle for any kind of unlock for now.

So I'm thinking from what I'm reading here that using an old baseband here would be my savior? My main goal here is to jailbreak it and unlock it so that she can use her t-mobile sim and call it a day.

What should be my first step here since I don't have any thing installed on it right now at all?

I can pick up the instructions here and follow it to a T. But since I'm not starting with a currently 'working' phone... can anyone help me figure out my first few steps? I'm willing to read, but don't know where to start...

I'll just keep reading though the forum the best I can to pick up as much info as I can to put together my own answer if this is too much for anyone to take the time to help me through.

Figure it couldn't hurt to ask.
    11-30-2010 12:04 AM
    It hasnt worked for me but your best bet is to use pwnagetool on a mac to cook up a custom firmware and then install that onto your phone. Its good that it was unlocked before.

Otherwise update to the newest firmware and then use pwnage since it also jb's the new firmware.

Guys, not sure what to do here. I think I messed up enough as it is and now I'm trying to fix my issues.

I started with a JB 3.12 3GS. I was trying to completely wipe it out to give the phone to my cousin who wanted to use it with T-Mobile.

I wasn't thinking and did a clean delete everything from the phone itself, which of course was stupid because it was jail broken. (Going too fast, and being too stupid to make sure what I was doing was right)

So now, slowing down and reading everything I can. Hoping its not too little too late.

I didn't 'backup' anything on the phone.

Now the phone wont do anything unless I put it into recovery mode and let iTunes install 4.2. - I did not save my previous SHSH blob either. I would like to end up with 4.2 Jailbroken/Unlocked but will just settle for any kind of unlock for now.

So I'm thinking from what I'm reading here that using an old baseband here would be my savior? My main goal here is to jailbreak it and unlock it so that she can use her t-mobile sim and call it a day.

What should be my first step here since I don't have any thing installed on it right now at all?

I can pick up the instructions here and follow it to a T. But since I'm not starting with a currently 'working' phone... can anyone help me figure out my first few steps? I'm willing to read, but don't know where to start...

I'll just keep reading though the forum the best I can to pick up as much info as I can to put together my own answer if this is too much for anyone to take the time to help me through.

Figure it couldn't hurt to ask.
    11-30-2010 12:50 AM
    help please.

iphone 3g/ 4.2.1/ BB 5.15.04

goal: jailbroken/unlocked

redsnow- giving message " unexpected error"
    ipsw- ipad one "iPad 1,1_3.2.2_7B500_restore.ipsw"

don't know what i'm doing wrong. i have jailbroken before. so it's not the fundamental stuff. maybe i dl'd the wrong ipsw? or redsnow?
    any help would be great.
    Last edited by kontender; 11-30-2010 at 05:33 AM.
    11-30-2010 05:29 AM
    help please.

iphone 3g/ 4.2.1/ BB 5.15.04

goal: jailbroken/unlocked

redsnow- giving message " unexpected error"
    ipsw- ipad one "iPad 1,1_3.2.2_7B500_restore.ipsw"

don't know what i'm doing wrong. i have jailbroken before. so it's not the fundamental stuff. maybe i dl'd the wrong ipsw? or redsnow?
    any help would be great.
    Apple seems to have stopped allowing that baseband to be downloaded from their servers by redsn0w. Wait until an update is put out.
    11-30-2010 11:20 AM
    I didn't get as far as I wanted to last night since I had to update iTunes, back up everything on the phone...then wipe it. After I fired up the new redsn0w it asked for my current ipsw. I don't plan to update to 4.2 so I needed to point it at 4.1. I couldn't find it anywhere, so I just downloaded it from Apple's server for the 3G version (iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw). I went ahead and downloaded the iPad one I needed as well. So even if I have both ipsws I need already, I can't use redsn0w to grab the correct files? Was I correct in downloading the 3G 4.1 ipsw, or did I need a custom one? Thanks.
    11-30-2010 12:02 PM
    Looking for some guidance to unlock and JB. I have a 3G, running 4.1, bb 5.14.02, and windows 7. I have never JB/UL before and just want to make sure I do it right.

If I understand correctly, I use redsn0w and it does the work for me basically, right? I downloaded it the night it came out and just saved it so it's sitting on my desktop waiting to be used. So, hook up the iphone to usb and just run redsn0w and follow the directions? Does the phone need to be off or in a special mode or anything?

I've read through lots of posts and I'm still a little confused. Hopefully after I get through this, I'll stop feeling like such a noob. :o

Thanks for any help!
    11-30-2010 12:47 PM
    Looking for some guidance to unlock and JB. I have a 3G, running 4.1, bb 5.14.02, and windows 7. I have never JB/UL before and just want to make sure I do it right.

If I understand correctly, I use redsn0w and it does the work for me basically, right? I downloaded it the night it came out and just saved it so it's sitting on my desktop waiting to be used. So, hook up the iphone to usb and just run redsn0w and follow the directions? Does the phone need to be off or in a special mode or anything?

I've read through lots of posts and I'm still a little confused. Hopefully after I get through this, I'll stop feeling like such a noob. :o

Thanks for any help!
    I've JBed before, but not recently. I'm in the exact same boat as you (same phone, FW, and BB). Go ahead and also down load the IPSW for the phone you have (iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw). redsn0w will ask for this.
    11-30-2010 12:59 PM
    ^ Okay, I'm feeling really slow now. Where do I download that IPSW at? I found the one linked in the dev blog, but can't find the one that you reference. I'm totally sorry for being such a noob at this.
    11-30-2010 01:18 PM
    ^ Okay, I'm feeling really slow now. Where do I download that IPSW at? I found the one linked in the dev blog, but can't find the one that you reference. I'm totally sorry for being such a noob at this.
    Don't be sorry at all. I just googled it and many sites have a link to the apple servers for download. But be sure to get the 3G 4.1 IPSW. I would go ahead and get the iPad IPSW that redsn0w is going to use also. But I haven't done this yet so sorry I can't help beyond this step. Post what happens if you're doing this now.
    foodd likes this.
    11-30-2010 01:32 PM
    Okay, I got the IPSW for the phone. Now for the ipad one, is that the link that's provided on the dev blog page? I just copy/pasted the instructions since I can't link yet. The link is on step #4. Weeeee I'm so close now! I have to leave for work soon, but will be getting back on this after I get home this evening.

This one:

SIMPLIFIED ROUTE #2 (PwnageTool for OSX):

1. Read and fully understand the warning below.
    2. If you have an old-bootrom 3GS and are already unlockable but want to get to 4.2.1, please wait til we release an unofficial bundle for you. Read no further.
    3. Read update #1 for an updated 3GS bundle.
    4. Download this IPSW <------ is this the ipad one that I should download?
    5. Run PwnageTool to create a custom 4.1 IPSW. Tell it you want to use the iPad baseband you just downloaded. Restore to this custom IPSW.
    6. Install ultrasn0w through Cydia
    7. Enjoy!

I just assumed that it wasn't for windows. Thanks for your help! I think if I can just get all the stuff downloaded, I'll be okay and figure it out as I go. I mean, it doesn't really sound hard, just a little confusing.
    11-30-2010 01:54 PM
    I was able to jailbreak/unlock a 3gs on 4.2.1....it took some time but i finally got it to work for me
    11-30-2010 03:04 PM
    I was able to jailbreak/unlock a 3gs on 4.2.1....it took some time but i finally got it to work for me
    Any issues with your GPS? Read that many lost this ability.
    11-30-2010 05:57 PM
    Okay, I think I've got the right ipad one: iPad1,1_3.2.2_7B500_Restore.ipsw. That's correct, isn't it? So now I just open the iPad one, the iPhone one that was stated earlier (iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore,ipsw), and then redsn0w?

I think that sounds right, but I'm suffering from information overload, lol.
    11-30-2010 08:07 PM
    Don't be sorry at all. I just googled it and many sites have a link to the apple servers for download. But be sure to get the 3G 4.1 IPSW. I would go ahead and get the iPad IPSW that redsn0w is going to use also. But I haven't done this yet so sorry I can't help beyond this step. Post what happens if you're doing this now.
    Okay, done! I downloaded redsn0w, and my current .ipsw to my desktop. Ran redsn0w, checked "install cydia" and "install ipad baseband". redsn0w did it's thing and then I put my SIM card in. Opened cydia, searched for ultrasn0w, ran it, rebooted, and I'm unlocked.
    11-30-2010 10:01 PM
    Any issues with your GPS? Read that many lost this ability.
    it was for a friend of mine, so i'll have to ask her if here gps is still working.
    11-30-2010 10:13 PM
    Okay, done! I downloaded redsn0w, and my current .ipsw to my desktop. Ran redsn0w, checked "install cydia" and "install ipad baseband". redsn0w did it's thing and then I put my SIM card in. Opened cydia, searched for ultrasn0w, ran it, rebooted, and I'm unlocked.
    That's great. Any issues with battery life, or GPS? Did you use an ATT sim card at any time?
    12-01-2010 10:36 AM
    I had the ATT sim in the phone for the jailbreak. After that was done, I put in my own sim and then unlocked it. I'm really not sure if I actually needed the ATT sim, but I figured I might as well keep it in there until it was JB'd. No issues so far w/ battery life. I don't use GPS as I don't travel out of town too often.
    12-03-2010 01:15 PM
118 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD