Untethered 4.2.1 Jailbreak Requires Saved 4.1 SHSH Blobs!

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
Dev Team has announced that Greenpois0n will be updated within the next few days to allow for 4.2.1 to be Jailbroken. As of right now, the Jailbreak will be tethered for all 4th gen based devices (iPhone3GS w/ new bootrom, iPhone4, iPad, iPodTouch3&4) but Comex is hard at work creating a userland exploit to untether 4.2.1. Word is that this untethering will require 4.1 SHSH Blobs. If you have not saved your blobs yet, even if you are not currently Jailbroken and/or not currently using iOS 4.1, you can go ahead and use TinyUmbrella to save them. However, since 4.2.1 was just released, Apple will stop signing 4.1 SHSH blobs very soon (any minute really) and once that happens, you are out of luck!

Last edited:

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Dev Team has announced that Greenpois0n will be updated within the next few days to allow for 4.2.1 to be Jailbroken. As of right now, the Jailbreak will be tethered for all 4th gen based devices (iPhone3GS w/ new bootrom, iPhone4, iPad, iPodTouch3&4) but Comex is hard at work creating a userland exploit to untether 4.2.1. Word is that this untethering will require 4.1 SHSH Blobs. If you have not saved your blobs yet, even if you are not currently Jailbroken and/or not currently using iOS 4.1, you can go ahead and use TinyUmbrella to save them. However, since 4.2.1 was just released, Apple will stop signing 4.1 SHSH blobs very soon (any minute really) and once that happens, you are out of luck!

if you did cydia jailbreak on 4.1 and cydia prompted you to save the shsh on its server.. is that good enough or one should use tinyumberalla to do it again?

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
if you did cydia jailbreak on 4.1 and cydia prompted you to save the shsh on its server.. is that good enough or one should use tinyumberalla to do it again?

I always use TU. You should be fine with Cydia, but I like to do it manually and have local copies for piece of mind.

Remember both TU and Cydia use the Cydia servers for SHSH.

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I am jailbroken on 4.0. never updated to 4.1, I have them saved, will that be ok or do I need to upgrade to 4.1, save my files, then upgrade to 4.2? or, are the 4.0 files good?

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
I am jailbroken on 4.0. never updated to 4.1, I have them saved, will that be ok or do I need to upgrade to 4.1, save my files, then upgrade to 4.2? or, are the 4.0 files good?

The firmware you currently use makes no difference. The only thing that matters is what firmware Apple is currently signing. Apple will stop signing 4.1 any minute now. Please use TU to make sure you have 4.1 saved.

Trodecke

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I apologize for the newbie question but all the "You must have your 4.1 SHSHs saved" has me worried. I've got an iPad that's running out of the box 3.2. It's jailbroken and I've got all the SHSHs for all the known versions saved using Cydia as well as TU. 4.1 was never released for the iPad so I can't find a way to get a 4.1 version of the SHSHs saved. Do I have what I need or is there something else I need to do so I can be ready for the untethered version when it's available? Thanks!

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
I apologize for the newbie question but all the "You must have your 4.1 SHSHs saved" has me worried. I've got an iPad that's running out of the box 3.2. It's jailbroken and I've got all the SHSHs for all the known versions saved using Cydia as well as TU. 4.1 was never released for the iPad so I can't find a way to get a 4.1 version of the SHSHs saved. Do I have what I need or is there something else I need to do so I can be ready for the untethered version when it's available? Thanks!

4.1 is referring to the iPhone. No one knows what will happen for the iPad. Comex hasnt said anything yet. Stay tuned...

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
4.1 is referring to the iPhone. No one knows what will happen for the iPad. Comex hasnt said anything yet. Stay tuned...

i ran tu... it saved: C:\Users\XXXXXX\.shsh\*********.shsh

which is an apple xml DTD PLIST 1.0.

i am assuming that is my local shsh and identical file is on cydia?

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
i ran tu... it saved: C:\Users\XXXXXX\.shsh\*********.shsh

which is an apple xml DTD PLIST 1.0.

i am assuming that is my local shsh and identical file is on cydia?

Yes, it was saved to cydia. You can check the log on TU to double check as well.

SMCOLD1

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
So I have already loaded 4.2.1 and I'm now researching a 4.2 jailbreak. I did NOT save my blobs from 4.1 so my question is can I still jailbreak it?

What is the differnce between jailbreaks and how do I know if they are tethered or untethered? Everything I've read suggests untethered is the way to go.

Thanks in advance :D

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
So I have already loaded 4.2.1 and I'm now researching a 4.2 jailbreak. I did NOT save my blobs from 4.1 so my question is can I still jailbreak it?

What is the differnce between jailbreaks and how do I know if they are tethered or untethered? Everything I've read suggests untethered is the way to go.

Thanks in advance :D

4.2.1 jailbreak is still not officially supported yet. Word is that an untethered jailbreak will rely on 4.1 blobs for the 3GS and i4. Please read my FAQ for more info.

SMCOLD1

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
4.2.1 jailbreak is still not officially supported yet. Word is that an untethered jailbreak will rely on 4.1 blobs for the 3GS and i4. Please read my FAQ for more info.

thanks for the quick response. I have read your FAQ but I'm very new to the iOS platform. I understand it's not officially supported yet but since I have already loaded 4.2.1 I'm now reading that I needed the 4.1 "blobs"

Is there away for me to get the 4.1 "blobs" that is needed to jailbreak or when it's further supported will I still require the previous "blobs"

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
thanks for the quick response. I have read your FAQ but I'm very new to the iOS platform. I understand it's not officially supported yet but since I have already loaded 4.2.1 I'm now reading that I needed the 4.1 "blobs"

Is there away for me to get the 4.1 "blobs" that is needed to jailbreak or when it's further supported will I still require the previous "blobs"

I would download TinyUmbrella immediately and try saving your blobs. I am not sure 4.1 is still being signed, but if it is, it wont be for long... Once apple stops signing them, there is NOTHING you can do.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox