Cydia's PkgBackUp ($4.99) or AptBackup (FREE!) Which is better?

What do you use to back-up your Cydia packages?

• Cydia store, PkgBackUp ($4.99)

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Cydia package, AptBackup (FREE)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I don't bother backing up my Cydia packages!

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

nillam1

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey, just getting back into the jb scene. After purchasing PkgBackUp in the Cydia store, I noticed theres AptBackup & it's a free package in Cydia. What's the difference between the 2? Did I just waste $4.99, or is PkgBackUp better? Not complaining & it's no biggie, just wondering what the difference between the 2 are. Thanks.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I wish Cydia was like Rock where they save all your packages to their servers and if you restore you click on your stuff and it will download and install them again. Very simple and pleasant!

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
I wish Cydia was like Rock where they save all your packages to their servers and if you restore you click on your stuff and it will download and install them again. Very simple and pleasant!

You would have a lot less to choose from, and probably 1/10th the amount of devs if that was the case... If Cydia was centralized it wouldnt exist right now... hence why rock is gone.

nillam1

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site

DITTO! I did like that option with Rock & it worked very well. It was also simple to use & came in handy more than once. I liked seeing the list to determine within seconds if the backup was to my liking or any mods were needed. Not to mention all the "PERTY" colors Rock had, LOL! JK but as awesome as Cydia is, it would'nt hurt to spruce the place up a bit. Pick up a vacuum or clean up a little, maybe pull the blinds or open a window. The damn place smells like a coffin in here, haha! ;) just babbling to myself!

nillam1

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Apt is working good for me, had to rejailbreak before and it worked fine.

Just curious, how does "AptBackup" work? With PkgBackup, it saves the backup as a contact, then u sync with iTunes after each backup. Does "AptBackup" use that same method for backing up & restoring Cydia packages? If not, how or where does it save the backup & how does it restore the backup? (if different)

Last edited:

grajasekar

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Just curious, how does "AptBackup" work? With PkgBackup, it saves the backup as a contact, then u sync with iTunes after each backup. Does "AptBackup" use that same method for backing up & restoring Cydia packages? If not, how or where does it save the backup & how does it restore the backup? (if different)

With AptBackup, you hit backup inside the Aptbackup application itself. This creates the local backup on the iDevice.

Then plug your phone/other iDevice into the computer and start up iTunes. Under Devices, you should right click your device and click backup. The backup of your Cydia apps is taken along with the regular iTunes backup.

Pocobear

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
So, can you use both, AptBackup and PkgBackup, at the same time, just to be safe? If they both used a different format and stored them in Contacts, they should co-exist OK, shouldn't they?

grajasekar

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
To add to my previous point, I'd say this. I urge a bit of caution with AptBackup. Been reading up a bit, and a lot of people across the net have been saying how PkgBackup seems to always work, but AptBackup can sometimes mess up the file system. Hence, take any advice with a grain of salt and get PkgBackup if you can. However if you do get AptBackup and it works with your phone then well and good.

An opinion I found online btw:
PkgBackup installs the latest version of every package you had installed on your phone. It does not preserve application data. The developer says that the next release will restore categories as well.

The main difference between AptBackup and PkgBackup is that AptBackup requires that you restore your phone from a backup. It is therefore pretty worthless if you do a major version upgrade and want to set up as a new phone. Pkgbackup saves your information as a contact, which can be synced from your computer, allowing you to restore even after setting up your phone as new.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
like Farbod has mentioned in another thread; take screenshots or write them down and enter manually

honestly, i've done it enough to where i can do it by memory alone

andrewp23

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
i would definately go for aptbackup ye because its free but lets be honest why pay 5dollars for an app that probably isnt even much better than aptbackup so id definately go for aptbackup but isnt there a repo to get the other one for free?

Pocobear

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
i would definately go for aptbackup ye because its free but lets be honest why pay 5dollars for an app that probably isnt even much better than aptbackup so id definately go for aptbackup but isnt there a repo to get the other one for free?

Yes their are repo's where you can STEAL a poor hard working developers apps for free, but it's forbidden to talk about them here, and for good reasons.

DJ Hellfire

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I have both and have used both! Aptbackup has always worked for me. It's simple, no options other than backup or restore, and it's quick. It just doesn't backup your springboard layout, like icon order and some themes. It'll remember your current springboard theme, but will not remember which ringtones ToneFx had assign.

Pkgbackup is cool. Has many more features, and even more with OS4. It can backup to the phone or to an online dropbox account that you have to create. In combination with SBOrganizer, it can back up and restore your springboard layout. It also does autoback up reminders, backs up upon opening the app, and allows a back up schedule to be set. It also tells you exactly how many apps are installed and how many are backed up. But the price is now $7.99!

Honestly, if you really don't want to spend the money, Aptbackup is just fine!

ducky

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
i really like pkgbackup, it just seems to restore everything without me having to add repo's and it apply's all the settings and folders I had when I backed it up.

larryganz

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I won't use APTbackup ever again, because after I spent hours restoring 30gb of normal apps and data, it made it all disappear when I restored my JB apps with it. I had 120 apps in 20 folders that I could not see, even though a search told me they were still there. I had to start all over again.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2