"must have" apps with jailbreaking

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
O.K. So i'm going to join the Darkside, and i've been playing around with my wife's 3GS for about a month now. I'm convinced that jailbreaking will open up the full potential of the iPhone4 i'm getting, but i would like to know about the basic apps i should have to start off with, as a newbie with a jailbroken iPhone4. I've always loved the themes for BB, and i consider myself a Sith apprentice.

RG13

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
cyntact- makes profile pics on contact list
Folder enhancer-extends folders
safari download manager
sbsettings
synchronicity- able to use phone while its syncing with itunes
winterboard- lets u use themes
yourtube 2 - lets u download videos from youtube

Reactions: anon(631531)

anthonok

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Sbsettings - Toggle wifi, bluetooth, 3g, and other settings without entering settings app.
BiteSms - i cant live without the ability to respond to a text within an application.
3G unrestrictor - Facetime without wifi, download apps over 20mb on 3g, youtube videos wont look like crap haha

Yourtube 2 - download youtube videos
Infinifolders or folderenhancer - allows for more than 12 apps per folder

there's plenty more amazing things you can get that make the phone evene better
sorry for poor punctuation but im lazy haha

Pocobear

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Most all of the above and,
SBScheduler - saves battery by scheduling your setting such as wifi, 3g, cellular data, bluetooth, etc. to turn on or off , on a schedule or manually.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. What is this thing called Cydia. Is it part of the jailbreak process? Sorry if i ask so many questions, but i believe in being prepared. A little something i learned in Vietnam

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Activator - lets you make changes to buttons to do certain commands. Like double tap homescreen to bring up _____ or tap status bar to bring up ________.
Backgrounder - This is the more advanced version of multi-tasking. This is what we all used before 4.0 came out. But you have many more settings options

BiteSMS - a TEXT app thats lets you text from the lockscreen or while your inside a app without even having to minimize the app and you can call from the bitesms text too

CallTell - Announces the name of the person calling you than your ringtone plays. Also reads texts too

Fake Carrier - Lets you change your carrier name to whatever you would like

Five Icon Dock and Five Column Springboard - No explanation needed

Flashlight in Cydia - automatically brings your phone screen to a white brightest setting, much better than the app store flashlights

LockInfo - Not free - Customize your Lockscreen to have weather, sms, calendar or anything else like that

MXTube - Lets you download high quality you tube videos with ease

NoSpot - Prevents spotlight from opening

SBsettings - Gives you a swipe to open all toggles (anything in settings, you can have as a toggle like, wifi, 3g, bluetooth, etc)

Speaking Iphone - I love this one. Speaks in a mans voice, you have a new text message or text message sent, etc

Switcher plus - Brings tast switcher to lockscreen, so all calls, etc can be made by lockscreen

WeatherIcon - Gives you a temp next to your battery on status bar also gives you an option for a weather image, and it updates. Also can you a temp and image on your weather app too

XGPS - A free voice directions GPS, even tells you on the same screen how many miles to next exit and total miles left. Far superior than the native maps app.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Gridlock is great if you use pictures of people or cool cars or whatever as backgrounds. It allows you to place the icons anywhere you want which in turn allows you to not hide your wallpaper.

Infinifolders is a must have. I tried FolderEnhancer and thought it was second rate compared to Infinifolders.

LockInfo is for sure a must.

Winterboard is needed for any theme so might as well get that.

CyDelete to delete cydia apps the same way as deleting regular app store apps.

entronp

May 30, 2010
Visit site
close button widget - replaces broken home button for sbsettings

tappable sliders - the BEST tap to unlock out of all of them, more responsive

erase contacts - del all contacts

cycorder video recorder for 2/3g

volume boost 3.12 somewhat helps the 2g volume issue.

Last edited:

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Must Have for jailbroken 4.2 iPad, as soon as both are available...

Iconoclasm
FoldEnhancer
MultitaskTime
Action Menu
Activator
Chronus
Cydelete
Fast copy
Gridlock

WeatherIcon (for status bar and badge, never got the live icon to work though)
Locktopus (let's me have iPad not password protected, but have individual apps set that way)

MultiMusicInfo

MyWi (for 3G ipad owned. I have it on Wifi iPad for the battery charging rate display, lol)

Parallax - panoramic sliding wallpaper. Can be set to 1to1 sliding of bg and icons. Could be used to have a background per screen

SwitchPlus
Winter board
FullForce

Not so much "must" but still useful for instances...

backgrounder

What would be freaking sweet...
iPad BiteSMS front end for iPad (connects to iPhone biteSMS and displays messages on iPad)
Battery charging rate in status bar (currently use mywi for that)

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
how much do some of these apps cost? I know one cost like 20 bucks or something... thats a bit steep.

It all depends on the usefulness of the app. MyWi is a $20 app I believe, and it is well worth it. Some apps that smply adjust the way the springboard works are usually between $1 and $5. Many items in the Cydia listings are free too.

sharky2006

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
ok does anyone know how to get the weather to show up on the phone screen? like rain drops and clouds or snow flakes? and how do you get the carrier logo like rogers or at&t at the top left like some people have? it looks really cool.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
ok does anyone know how to get the weather to show up on the phone screen? like rain drops and clouds or snow flakes? and how do you get the carrier logo like rogers or at&t at the top left like some people have? it looks really cool.

Status bar notifications: I think there is one simply called StatusBarNotifier or StatusBarNotifictions. Afaik it works with 4.1. No cydia for 4.2 yet so I cannot say either way for that yet

For the weather information, search cydia for WeatherIcon. It is missing 1 feature on the iPad, but everything else 4.1 and below it great.

For carrier logo changes, search Cydia for "carrier logo", many need WinterBoard, so make sure you download that too. For carrier name change i use FakeCarrier

Last edited:

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Most Cydia apps are free. At least the ones I named except LockInfo, etc. Nobody would be going to the trouble of jailbreaking if everything cost $. We would all be broke. Just look in Cydia and scroll around you'll see. Its all easy, everything, and really nobody needs a tutorial on how to do stuff if you can read. Just jailbreak, load Cydia and have fun modding your phone.

Josh