I'm having problems with my iphone 4's battery (very poor battery life, down to 50% of barely any use after a couple hours and doesn't even charge to 100% overnight). So I plan on going to the Apple Store to replace it with a new one. I currently have 4.0.1 with JailbreakMe. When I get the replacement iphone 4, I plan on upgrading to 4.1 and jailbreaking with greenpois0n. If I do this, will I have to re-download everything I downloaded from Cydia? Or is there a way to backup my cydia stuff and restore it to the new iphone? And should I backup my SHSH blobs (could someone explain that stuff to me)?
    10-13-2010 06:38 PM
    should be able to make a back up via itunes. I back up blobs all the time lol. im afraid Im gonna lose them or they will be losy. I have had 1 successful back up on one phone after os upgrade and the other I had to reinstall everything, not a big issues, but most will tell you to start fresh anyways..

make sure you restore the phone you are returning
    Bennieficial likes this.
    10-13-2010 06:46 PM
    Ok, so there's really no point to backing up blobs from my old phone? I should probably just start fresh and download everything manually again?
    10-13-2010 06:49 PM
    probably not worth saving blobs for old phone... if you really want to save the cydia files aptbackup works from what I hear. I havent used it yet, but supposedly it works fine...

and its free
    Bennieficial likes this.
    10-13-2010 07:21 PM
    the blobs from your old phone wont do you any good. They are unique to the phone. Your new phone will most likely come with 4.1 on it so it is the only blob you will be able to save. Cydia does not have the blobs for older iOS's anymore.

As far as what to do to get all your stuff back. Do a backup of your current phone, get your new phone, restore from backup to get all your apps and settings back, then JB with the tool of your choice. I had used both GP and LR, 6 of one half dozen of the other.
    10-14-2010 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD