I just got an iphone 4 like 3 days ago, and I do love the phone, but I've been doing some reading about jailbreaking and I'm wondering if I can, and if it will let me do what I want to do anyway.

I can seem to dig up any info on what I want, and I believe i'm running 4.1 on my phone.

I would like to be able to;

- Remove the supplied wallpapers, and replace them with my own wallpapers.

- upload ringtones without itunes (or find an easier way to make them) maybe use mp3 files as ringtones?

- Use custom notification sounds, and remove the supplied sounds (or most of them if possible)

would jailbreaking allow me to do those things? and am I also to understand that if I jailbreak 4.1 it's stuck jailbroken for life, or I have to upgrade in order to restore? I'm a little unclear on this one.

Thanks in advance, and rest assured, I am searching for stuff, but sometimes the best answers come from people with real experience, where I have none in this area.
    10-04-2010 08:26 AM
    Yes. You do those things after JB, but right now, there is no JB for 4.1.

And, NO, you are not stuck at 4.1 forever. It's just whenever you restore / update with official firmware, the phone will be back at stock. Thus, you will lose you JB. So, before updating, make sure there is a JB out for that firmware before doing it.
    10-04-2010 01:04 PM
    I just found out that I was running 4.1 today. I've read this and that and wasn't sure if you could JB 4.1 yet.

Where could I go to keep updated with the status of a 4.1 JB?

I can't remember off the top of my head right now but I thought it was something having to do with ?bootrom? modification which prevented you from restoring the phone, or kept you stuck with a certain firmware or permenantly JB'd phone.
    10-04-2010 04:19 PM
    You can check here periodically or check dev's twitter pages... Im pretty sure that either myself or one of the other members will post something here within a few min of JB being released. There is a lot of talk on twitter about it right now. My guess is by the end of the week. I could be wrong, but thats my feeling...
    10-04-2010 04:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD