Does jailbreaking and unlocking an iPhone (3G) give me the freedom to switch to a different carrier? AT&T is problematic for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that I have a lot of dropped calls. Can I switch to a different carrier, say Verizon, if I jailbreak and unlock?

Thanks,

Jonathan
    09-23-2010 12:46 PM
    Yes, if you JB and unlock, you can use with a different carrier. In USA, only ATT and TMobile (Edge only) works with iPhone.
    09-23-2010 12:52 PM
    as long as your phone isn't running IOS 41 as it has a currently unlock-able base band
    09-23-2010 01:21 PM
    Is the carrier selection based on a SIM card, or something I can replace? Eg, if we travel to Europe, can I use my unlocked iPhone with a local carrier only for the time we're there, and then come back to AT&T when we return home?
    09-23-2010 05:10 PM
    Is the carrier selection based on a SIM card, or something I can replace? Eg, if we travel to Europe, can I use my unlocked iPhone with a local carrier only for the time we're there, and then come back to AT&T when we return home?
    Yes. Once your phone is unlock, you can use any carrier sim card you like. Just make sure their network supports the iPhone.
    09-23-2010 06:36 PM
    its equal parts SIM and phone software.

your iPhone hardware currently can broadcast and receive on 5 frequencies
    But the software on phones bought in the US is locked only to the frequency that AT&T puts out.
    this is added that the frequency is controlled by the network and will only accept sims that are programmed for its networks.

but Ive had friends that have unlocked there blackberries by calling AT&T that they are travaling
    so its all in the realm of possibility but as of right now there is no jailbreak for 4.1 :\
    09-23-2010 06:38 PM
    Yes as long as it is a GSM (sim card) carrier like tmobile and att, and NOT a cdma carrier like verizon or sprint
    09-23-2010 06:44 PM
    its equal parts SIM and phone software.

your iPhone hardware currently can broadcast and receive on 5 frequencies
    But the software on phones bought in the US is locked only to the frequency that AT&T puts out.
    this is added that the frequency is controlled by the network and will only accept sims that are programmed for its networks.

but Ive had friends that have unlocked there blackberries by calling AT&T that they are travaling
    so its all in the realm of possibility but as of right now there is no jailbreak for 4.1 :\
    So, unlocking an iPhone doesn't remove the frequency lock?

What I'd like to do is travel to a foreign country like Ireland or Mexico and buy a local SIM card that will give me reduced rates on phone minutes. I'd also like reduced rates on text messages and, if possible, be able to browse. Is this possible with an unlocked iPhone?
    09-23-2010 08:59 PM
    the frequency lock could be removed providing you jail break but there is no official jail break for 4.1 that doesn't have super heavy risk of bricking your phone
    09-24-2010 01:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD