I am on my second iPhone and currently have the iPhone 4 currently running iOS 4.1. I am considering jailbreaking my phone, once I'm able, and have been doing a lot of research on TiPb.

Can someone explain to me what SHSH files/blobs are? I read one post of a user who had asked another (when talking about some problem after having a jailbroken phone and then updating the firmware) if they had backed up their SHSH blobs. What do I need to know about SHSH files/blobs?

I'm sorry if there was another thread about this, but I did a search of the forum and couldn't find one...

Thanks for any help in advance.
    09-16-2010 08:10 PM
    Think of it like this, SHSH files are a permission from Apple to install a specific version of firmware onto a specific device.

SHSH blobs are unique per phone per firmware.

Lets say a jailbreak comes out for 4.1 next week. You need to save the SHSH Blobs as well. If you don't, and a problem happens with the jailbreak, then you won't be able to restore to 4.1 and re-jailbreak once Apple releases 4.1.x or 4.2.
    NoSugarJustSpice likes this.
    09-16-2010 09:02 PM
    So how exactly do you save these blobs? Are they saved when you sync your phone to iTunes, or is this a different process - something that the user has to manually save to their computer?

I'm sorry if this is a ridiculous question. As much as I'm trying to follow all of the information given for the jailbreak process, some of it is over my head and I'm trying to grasp it all.
    09-17-2010 12:41 AM
    Once you jailbreak, Cydia (the JB app store) offers the option of saving them for you. All you need to do is click the "Make My Life Easier" button when opening Cydia. You can also save them locally using the Firmware Umbrella program.

You'll only ever need your shsh if you want to downgradebasically, when iTunes goes to "call home" to verify the software, you'll point it to your saved shsh blobs instead, either on your computer or on the Cydia server.
    09-17-2010 08:10 AM
    You don't have to be jailbroken to save your SHSH blobs. As Massie mentioned, you can use the Firmware Umbrella project to save your blobs on your local hard drive, you can also use that same program to let you restore to firmware versions that Apple is no longer signing, so long as you have saved your SHSH blobs.
    09-17-2010 12:59 PM
    Hi guys!

I know most of u aren't new to jb but, i'd like to tell u, i have a webapp for beginners. I hope it will be helpful for start jailbreak. Of course, all content is in english. It's called "I DO JB". I released it only 2 days ago. It tells u the most important thing what u have to know about jailbreak and cydia. This is my first webapp so pls feel free to let me know my mistakes. It doesn't require jb to install it. Thanks guys!
    more spamming of your site now that you have 10 posts? Reporting this one also
    Last edited by theringer; 09-18-2010 at 05:11 PM.
    09-18-2010 05:08 PM
    Thanks so much for your feedback. Your explanations helped me understand the process much better (maybe not completely, but that's not your fault!) I've still got a lot to learn but your explanations are so appreciated. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    09-19-2010 06:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD