[HOW TO] Drastically speed up your Jailbroken iPhone 3G / iPod Touch 2G with iOS4

clappboard

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
First of all, I'd like to say that the below tweaks will not suddenly make your iPhone/iPod run like a 3GS or 4 model (the reason for this being that the newer models have almost twice the RAM). It will however make your iDevice a little more usable and smoother overall.

WARNING: I will accept no responsibility for you messing up your phone; FOLLOW THESE STEPS AT YOUR OWN RISK! However if you encounter problems, feel free to email me and I will try to help you out.

Now lets get started.

What you need:

- iPhone or iPod Touch (Jailbroken)
- Cydia (or equivalent)
- access to WiFi (or a method of installing .deb files via SSH)
- iFile (or like i said SSH capabilities)
- at least a smidgen of technological no-how.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

STEP 1: The easiest by far. Go to Settings > General > Spotlight Search, and turn off everything you don't need. This will reduce the total amount of media that Spotlight needs to index, and this will in turn reduce the load on the system. Simple enough.

STEP 2: Uninstall SBSettings, if you have it installed. I have nothing against it or its developers, and in fact think that it is an amazingly useful hack, but the reality is that the iPod Touch 2G / iPhone 3G just don't have enough processing power to keep it running smoothly in the background. You can uninstall it through Cydia.

STEP 3: If you are using Backgrounder for multitasking, this will slow down your system a lot. Apple actually did a very good job with their multitasking, so take advantage of it! If your iDevice didn't come with multitasking, then there is an easy way to enable it using iFile or SSH. It does involve editing a .plist file though, which is illegal, so I cant go into too much depth. Do some Googling and you should figure it out (it only involves backspacing false and entering true, or vice-versa. You can also disable home-screen wallpaper through this .plist).

STEP 4: Go into Cydia and download the Remove Recents package. This will make it so that only apps that are actually running will appear in the multitasking bar, rather than any app you open.

STEP 5: This step is actually two steps in one, but I put them together since they both involve either SSH or iFile.

(I) Whichever method you choose, navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app. If you scroll all the way to the bottom, you should find a whole bunch of image files beginning with 'springboard' these are overlays for aesthetic appeal. If you don't need them (and you shouldn't if you have wallpaper turned off), delete them, or create a folder called 'Unused-Old' or something so that your system wont render them.

(II) Once you're done with the above steps, navigate to /System/Library/LaunchDaemons, and delete the following Daemons (I would highly recommend backing them up first):

-com.apple.DumpPanic.plist
-com.apple.ReportCrash.(Different Things).plist
-com.apple.DumpBasebandCrash.plist
-com.apple.CrashHouseKeeping.plist
-com.apple.aslmanager.plist
-com.apple.syslogd.plist
-com.apple.powerlog.plist
-com.apple.stackshot.server.plist
-com.apple.chud.chum.plist*
-com.apple.chud.pilotfish.plist*
-com.apple.psctl.plist
-com.apple.apsd.tcpdump.en0.plist
-com.apple.apsd.tcpdump.pdp_ip0.plist

Note: The Ones with the *'s next to them are ones you'll want to keep if you're a developer, in which case you probably wouldn't be reading this tutorial.

*By the way, my thanks to 'Sarcasm Siempre' on Multi-Touch Fans for his helpful tutorial*

STEP 6: This is kind of an alternate step, as it isn't completely necessary. If you have MobileSubstrate installed (which i'm sure a lot of you do), then it will speed up your device to remove it. I say again, this isn't necessary, and a lot of tweaks rely on it, so you can keep it if you use it regularly. If not, then you can remove it. As i said above about SBSettings, i have nothing against MobileSubstrate, its just that some devices cant really handle it.

On that same note, Winterboard also eats up a lot of RAM. Just something to consider.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And thats it folks. Now go out and enjoy your speedier iDevice!

JedikiahWho

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
pictures (PNGs)

I'd advise some folks not to delete PNGs willy-nilly, as I did that and lost the ability to delete apps while on the handset! Otherwise, best tweak on here is Cydia's remove recents package. Thanks for that! Makes the whole thing actually efficient.:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2