Hi Guys,
    Am new to hear, so hello all .

I bought an iphone from ebay, and am not sure if it is jailbroken. AM new to the whole iphone scene, as am more into blackberrys lol. So anyways I bought the phone and i've tryed emailing the guy to ask if it is jailbroken, but am awaiting on a reply. Its a Iphone 3gs with firmware 4.0.2 (8A400). If you could help me i would be graatful.

Andy
    09-10-2010 04:47 PM
    The easiest way to tell is search for Cydia or Rock, if either are on your iPhone, your jailbroken. Otherwise it's doubtful. If you are jailbroken and want to continue to be, don't update to 4.1.

You planning on staying with iPhone?
    09-10-2010 05:01 PM
    yes am planning on staying with iphone mate, so whats shall i do next, and thank you for your reply.
    09-10-2010 05:13 PM
    oh and i searched for cydia and rock and never found them on my iphone
    09-10-2010 05:14 PM
    You've got to equip yourself with essentials. What are the things you liked most about your Blackberry?

I recommend:

Pushmail (if you have forward-able email)
    Pocket Informant for calendar & task management
    Podcaster for Podcast management
    Docs to go
    Calcbot for a better calculator with tape
    mSecure for password storage
    A good twitter client (Twitter for iPhone)
    PingChat! for BB messenger style messaging & they have a BB client so you can still message them.

Just a quick start guide.

Let me know if you have any Q's
    09-10-2010 05:23 PM
    Am wanting to know whow to jailbreak my iphone, if you could help me with tht then i would greatful
    09-10-2010 05:35 PM
    09-10-2010 05:38 PM
    It might be smart to wait for the Dev-Team to come out with a 4.1 jailbreak, they usually take a couple weeks or so.
    09-10-2010 05:39 PM
    What does it mean by oldboot rom only?
    09-10-2010 05:41 PM
    Depends on when your 3GS was built, early versions could do an untethered jailbreak, but Apple updated it midstream and those 3GS's could only do a tethered jailbreak. Which means any time you rebooted, you would have to connect to your computer so the jailbreak could be recognized.

How to Check Your iPhone Bootrom Version
    09-10-2010 05:46 PM
    What does it mean by oldboot rom only?
    Have no clue why someone posted that guide. First, you can only use it if your phone is currently already pwned JB & old bootrom => install custom firmware. Your phone is obviously not. Second, it's not official from dev team. I wouldn't suggest anyone trying it and possibly loosing your pwned train.

Only way to JB is if you downgrade to 4.0.1 or below. Apple use ShSH security check for restoring phone. In essence, they will only allow you to install latest firmware, 4.0.2 and 4.1. If you previously saved your SHSH hashes for older firmware, you could trick iTunes installing an older firmware. The big question, did you or previous owner saved the old hashes?
    Last edited by myzhi; 09-10-2010 at 06:05 PM.
    09-10-2010 05:53 PM
    i've no idea, how would i find out on the phone, and how do i make itunes think tht it wants to downgrade my phone. i need a step to step guide to do this if u could help me please.

Andy
    09-10-2010 09:13 PM
    i've no idea, how would i find out on the phone, and how do i make itunes think tht it wants to downgrade my phone. i need a step to step guide to do this if u could help me please.

Andy
    Download and run Tinyumbrella:
    1) Make sure you Iphone is detected.
    2) check "Advanced Options."
    3) In new window, under "Device / Version," select the firmware version you want to downgrade to.
    4) Click on "Save my SHSH." Pray Cydia has them. If you don't get an error, it has been saved onto your computer.
    5) Repeat to save other firmware hashes if you wish.
    6) Now, click on "Display SHSHs." It should listed all hashes you have saved on your computer and the firmware you can downgrade to.
    7) Start "TSS server," download firmware file somewhere (google) and restore through iTunes with that file.
    8) If you phone get stuck during restore, trying "Kick out of recovery..."'in Tinyumbrella.
    09-10-2010 10:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD