Hi everyone,
    I've just upgraded from my iPhone 2G to a 3G (I'm a student, so funds are tight...). The 3G is on iOS4.0.2 and I would like to Jailbreak it so I can get apps like backgrounder and status notifier. The previous owner took it to a shop to have it unlocked.

I am on the Orange network and apparently the phone was originally on Orange, but now it is unlocked. If I were to Jailbreak it, would I lose the unlock that was provided by the shop (I don't know which method they used, but it took about 20 minutes?), and is there any way of making sure that it was originally on Orange, because I don't mind if I lose the unlock if I can still use my Orange sim with it.

Also, would someone be able to provide a link to a proven method of jailbreaking it on iOS 4.0.2? Is it worth updating to 4.1, before I jailbreak it, and then waiting for a jailbreak method to be released? How easy is it to update to 4.1 at a later date if I jailbreak it on 4.0.2? Many questions.....

Cheers,
    Peter
    09-10-2010 10:40 AM
    77 views and no replies? So I thought sod it and went on a voyage of discovery earlier today.

I reverted my 3G from iOS 4.0.2 to iOS 3.1.3. I then used the pwnage tool method to jailbreak it on the 3.1.3 firmware. Once it was booted into the jailbroken 3.1.3 I had the no service problem. I solved this by installing ultrasn0w, and restarted. Bam! Now I'm typing this on my fully jailbroken iPhone 3G which I've reverted from 4.0.2 to 3.1.3. I must say that 4.0.2 ran pretty well on this iPhone, but 3.1.3 runs a little quicker and the battery life is much improved. I am now happy and I think I'll stay jailbroken on iOS 3.1.3 as it's probably the best OS for the 3G from my experience.
    09-11-2010 05:27 PM
    could of saved yourself a lot of time by doing a quick search and using jailbreakme to jailbreak and unlock the phone right on the phone itself

but congrats on your upgrade
    09-12-2010 05:22 AM
    I thought that jailbreakme was for 4.0.1, and I was on 4.0.2? I think I'm happier though having it on 3.1.3 because it runs really well. Cheers for the congrats anyway.
    09-12-2010 06:06 AM
    There isnt going to be a jailbreak for 4.0.2 you are going to have to wait till 4.1 gets jailbroken or downgrade to 4.0.1.
    09-12-2010 09:24 AM
    I downgraded my 3g to 4.0.1 by downloading the firmware for 4.0.1 then going into itunes and while my phone said connect to itunes, since it was stuck there, i pressed shift and restore and chose the 4.0.1 file for the restore and from there i followed the steps to jailbreak on redsn0w. it was so simple i felt silly because it took me a week to figure it out.
    09-14-2010 03:07 PM
    Hey, nice one, well done! Don't feel silly. It took me like 6 months to get up the courage to update my beloved iPhone 2G from 3.0 to 3.1.3. It was previously jailbroken by the guy I bought it from and I was just too
    scared to try and update it. The amount of info I read was rediculous!

When I bought my 3G, it wasn't jailbroken, so I thought it would be the perfect time to mess about with some iPhone firmware and that gave me the courage to have a go on my 2G. People go on about jailbreaking 'bricking' their iPhones, but it seems that whatever you do, you can always restore and get it going again.
    09-15-2010 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD