So, I jailbroke my phone and long story short it it started messing up cause I downloaded a new source. Somebody said I could un jailbreak my phone and re-jailbreak it by erasing all content and resetting my phone. I did that and now it is stuck on the apple loading screen. I'm still able to turn the phone off by holding the power and the home button down. Is there anyway to salvage my phone?
    09-03-2010 11:12 AM
    First, you phone is not bricked. Brick pretty means phone is a "brick" = its dead and you can't do anything.

Second, what did you think will happen when you click "Erase all content...?" In short, you deleted everything, including the OS. Restore and your phone will be back to stock. If you wish to re-JB with 3GS or IP4, did you save your SHSH hashes for jailbreakable firmware 4.0.1 or below? If no, you are out of luck and have to wait for possible 4.1 JB. If 2G or 3G, restore to the firmware want and use Redsn0w to JB.
    Last edited by myzhi; 09-03-2010 at 12:12 PM.
    09-03-2010 11:27 AM
    Thanks for the response. But how do I restore it? The computer doesn't even recognize the iPhone when I hook it up and the phone itself wnt get past the main loading screen. It just constantly reboot itself after tryin like every fifteen minutes.
    09-03-2010 06:32 PM
    Put phone into recovery or DFU mode. Google if you don't know how.
    09-03-2010 06:35 PM
    Turn the phone off, hold the home button down make sure iTunes is not open and connect your USB cable the phone will start to power on keep holding the power button until you see the itunes with a cable to iTunes you'll be in recovery mode if iTunes starts it will detect it if it doesn't start then start it and it will detect it. In the worst case if you JB to unlock you can sell it locked and buy a JBable one. If you just need JB you can wait for the 4.1 JB
    09-04-2010 09:13 AM
    Turn the phone off, hold the home button down make sure iTunes is not open and connect your USB cable the phone will start to power on keep holding the power button until you see the itunes with a cable to iTunes you'll be in recovery mode if iTunes starts it will detect it if it doesn't start then start it and it will detect it. In the worst case if you JB to unlock you can sell it locked and buy a JBable one. If you just need JB you can wait for the 4.1 JB
    do wut he says but ill give u an advise since u were already jailbroken that means cydia has your SHSHs saved, so google the 4.0.1 firmware for which ever iphone u have and restore using that firmware..do not restore with latest firmware 4.0.2 as there's no jailbreak/unlock out and you will have wait till 4.1 hits out n someone jailbreaks that version.
    09-05-2010 02:23 AM
    4.1 is in beta...
    09-05-2010 04:31 PM
    This is the sort of thing that keeps me from jbing iPhone to get all the cool features out there. Does the jailbreak go bad very often and mess your phone up?
    09-06-2010 03:27 AM
    This is the sort of thing that keeps me from jbing iPhone to get all the cool features out there. Does the jailbreak go bad very often and mess your phone up?
    Jailbreaking is safe. Some people like the original thread starter just start downloading stuff and don't look to see if its ios4 compatible or not. Some apps are for 3.xxx only phones. Some apps are for Iphone4 only, and so on and so on. When phones screw up after jailbreaking or during jailbreaking. Most of the time its because of user error. Not following directions and whatnot. To add when people see the word brick in a thread title, their like a oh **** I don't wanna brick my phone its not worth. I personally in about 1 year and half in the Jailbroken world have never heard a story where a person truly bricked their Iphone. It either was in DFU mode and needed to be in Recovery mode or vice versa.

Cydia and Rock are the 2 sources for jailbroken apps. Their the J/B version of the App Store and in each listing usually says compatible with or your device is compatible, etc.

Hope this helps
    09-07-2010 10:31 PM
    Pretty much as MustangLife has stated... From all I've read and seen, It's quite "Difficult" to "BRICK" your iphone. Most issues are user related and are correctable. One may not like the outcome, i.e. loosing JB, upgraded to iOS that has no JB. Failure to investigate before proceeding is the one step that creates headaches. People jump in with little or no knowledge... BAM... TROUBLE. There are numerous locations out there that are "REPUTABLE". Before any move may I suggest, INVESTIGATE.
    09-08-2010 09:13 AM
    You cannot Brick your phone by Jailbreaking, it is impossible. That is not how this Jailbreak works...
    09-08-2010 03:14 PM
    That sucks. I had countless scares when i jailbroke my 3G. I dont want to risk it again.
    10-11-2010 08:01 PM
    Please stop scaring people... Just follow directions and there is nothing to fear.
    10-11-2010 08:06 PM
    My biggest concern is security. What do you all do to protect your device?
    10-11-2010 08:15 PM
    My biggest concern is security. What do you all do to protect your device?
    What security issue do you have with JB that you didnt with a stock iphone?
    10-11-2010 08:24 PM
    You can brick your phone. Theres always a risk. No matter how tiny it might be.
    10-11-2010 09:08 PM
    Malware and the such. I mean is a virus easier to get with jailbroken phone? I don't know so I am asking.

I know they talk about changing a password. where would I change this?
    10-11-2010 09:10 PM
    You can brick your phone. Theres always a risk. No matter how tiny it might be.
    I can also be hit by a meteor but I leave my house everyday anyway
    10-11-2010 09:16 PM
    Malware and the such. I mean is a virus easier to get with jailbroken phone? I don't know so I am asking.

I know they talk about changing a password. where would I change this?

You only need to change your password if you install Open SSH, otherwise its not necessary. You can use Mobile Terminal to do it.

Your JB phone is not more susceptible to malware or viruses than a stock iphone. As long as you only use trusted repos, there is no real risk...
    10-11-2010 09:18 PM
    Thanks farbod21
    10-11-2010 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD