hi everyone so now i have an iphone 3gs 8gig (the new model)
    i need to jailbreak and unlock it but it has the 4.0.2 software can someone tell me how to downgrade the software (itunes gives me an error right off the bat) or give me the steps on how to do it without downgrading
    i am using a windows computer just in case

thanks in advance
    09-02-2010 02:04 PM
    You can not JB and unlock firmware 4.0.2. And, the only way to downgrade firmware with 3GS and IP4 is with having previously saved SHSH hashes for that firmware, in your case 4.0.1. If you didn't, you are out of luck

If yes, download and run Tinyumbrella:
    1) Make sure you Iphone is detected.
    2) check "Advanced Options."
    3) In new window, under "Device / Version," select 4.0.1 firmware.
    4) Click on "Save my SHSH." Pray Cydia has them. If you don't get an error, it has been saved onto your computer.
    5) Repeat to save other firmware hashes if you wish.
    6) Now, click on "Display SHSHs." It should listed all hashes you have saved on your computer and the firmware version you can downgrade to.
    7) Start "TSS server" and restore through iTunes with the downloaded firmware file (google) you can downgrade to in step #6.
    8) If you phone get stuck during restore, trying "Kick out of recovery..."'in Tinyumbrella.
    Last edited by myzhi; 09-02-2010 at 02:23 PM.
    09-02-2010 02:19 PM
    Actually, the above poster is wrong!

I managed to rollback my 4.0.2 3gs phone without the blobs.

Here is how:

hxxp://xxx.pmptoday.com/2010/08/30/downgrade-iphone-4-from-ios-402-to-401-sans-shsh-blobs-to-jailbreak/

The steps only take about 10 mins to complete so happy jailbreaking!
    09-04-2010 11:15 AM
    Actually, the above poster is wrong!

I managed to rollback my 4.0.2 3gs phone without the blobs.

Here is how:

hxxp://xxx.pmptoday.com/2010/08/30/downgrade-iphone-4-from-ios-402-to-401-sans-shsh-blobs-to-jailbreak/

The steps only take about 10 mins to complete so happy jailbreaking!
    Did you miss the important parts or just decide not to mention?

There is much discussion on many blogs about a potential means of downgrading iOS 4.0.2 to 4.0.1 by simply changing a couple values in the buildmanifest.plist and copying all of the images from 4.0.1 into 4.0.2 and then deleting the files ending with 002. Following all of this, perform a DFU restore and somehow you will be on 4.0.1.
    There is a perfectly logical explanation for all of this and I will lay out exactly what is happening and explain why it is working for the folks that are the lucky ones.
    Let me get this out first.

1. This is not a miracle, at least not in the sense you all hope for
    2. SHSHs are STILL required for any iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPod Touch 3G, and iPod Touch 2G (MC Model)
    3. There is NO way around this unfortunately this method included.

Let me start by explaining something very important. The buildmanifest is used by iTunes to build much of the TSS request that is used to obtain your SHSH for any given firmware revision. Unfortunately, the BuildNumber has no part to play in the request for SHSH. All that you ended up doing in following these directions is request 4.0.1 SHSH blobs.THAT IS ALL. Since every single one of you that got this to work changed your hosts file to point to Cydia, Cydia responded to the TSS request with an SHSH blob that was ALREADY "on-file". There was no magic. There was no miracle, apart from the lucky break that your device had been put on Cydias SHSH request list at some time in the distant past.
    Thats it in a nutshell folks. There was no amazing technique for bypassing Apples TSS. There was no amazing exploit that exists in DFU mode allowing for 4.0.2 -> 4.0.1 downgrading. Its simple; Cydia had your SHSH because at sometime in the past either:

* Someone saved your SHSH with that device using TinyUmbrella and the default options
    * Someone restored that device with Cydia in the hosts pointing to gs.apple.com
    * Someone jailbroke the device and pressed Make my life easier

So yes, unfortunately, the wait continues..
    09-04-2010 11:24 AM
    Did you miss the important parts or just decide not to mention?
    yet there are multiple people in my area that say they can jailbreak and unlock 4.0.2 on any phone so someone knows how to do it.
    09-04-2010 06:49 PM
    yet there are multiple people in my area that say they can jailbreak and unlock 4.0.2 on any phone so someone knows how to do it.
    I just saw Steve Jobs on a PC do you believe me?

Because It's very easy to lie.
    09-04-2010 07:23 PM
    I just saw Steve Jobs on a PC do you believe me?

Because It's very easy to lie.
    I paid a guy 20.00 to unlock my 3gs that was on 4.0.2 so I know it can be done. No shsh blobs saved, I tried to downgrade it myself which I have done several times on other's phones. 20 min later he has it unlocked on 4.0, don't know how he did it.
    09-04-2010 07:48 PM
    Thats news to me. Never heard of rolling back from 4.02. If you can more power to you but you are the ONLY one that knows how to.
    09-06-2010 01:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD