SHSH and restore help please...

Jonezed7

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I need to reformat my laptop. I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.0.1 right now. I'm afraid after I reformat my laptop, iTunes will make me restore my iPhone. It's jailbroken and I REALLY don't want to lose that and my backup. Does anyone have a how to guide or can someone please make sure I've done everything so my iPhone will be fine after the restore. I guess saving my SHSH blobs would be safe, but I'm not sure how. I can't find a straight answer on google.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
my suggestion would be to do the following..

copy your iTunes folder (the one that stores all of your music, movies, podcasts, etc), onto an external drive.

then, search Google for "iPhone backup location", and do not rest until you find out EXACTLY where iTunes keeps the iPhone backups. Then copy THOSE to the backup drive.

Then, MAKE SURE, you "de-authorize" iTunes. You need to do this, because a reformatted computer is treated as a "unique device" for your iTunes authorizations, and you are limited to 5 computer devices (iPod/iPad/iPhone are not counted as one of the 5 computer devices).

reformat, and after the system is back up and running AND fully updated, place all of the backed up data where it needs to go. Launch iTunes, go to the preferences and re-associate your old library with it, then re-authorize iTunes with the iTunes Store for playing back DRM content.

The iPhone and iTunes, at that point, should not even know that anything out of the ordinary happened, and will work the same as normal.

Jonezed7

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I did a full itunes backup that saves everything including playlists, play count, etc.

I found the backup for my iPhone already and everything like that is saved on the external hdd. All I need to do is de-authorize my pc and I should be set? I just really don't want to lose my iPhone backup and make it restore and update... :(

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2