For everyone having trouble with activations....

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I have been seeing quite a few topics on these forums about people having trouble during the "Restore" process, when it comes time to have the iPhone activated.*This mainly applies to unlockers. People on official carriers don't have to worry about any of this.

Let me save you some trouble guys. First, let's start with the basics:

JailbreakMe does NOT have "hacktivation" support.*

1) If you are unlocked, and then have to restore your iPhone using iTunes for any reason, make sure to insert an OFFICIAL CARRIER SIM CARD BEFORE you initiate the restore process.*

2) If you're on an iPhone 2G/3G, and DON'T have an officially activated SIM card, you're screwed. Your phone cannot be activated. Plain and simple.*

3) If you have the iPhone 3G, and still have the SIM card that CAME with the iPhone (the official one) put that into the iPhone before restoring. EVEN IF THE SIM CARD IS ASSOCIATED WITH AN INACTIVE ACCOUNT, for some reason with the 3G only, if you just have that SIM card, you have a guaranteed "forever" activation.*

If you have a 3G, but do NOT have the official SIM card that came with the iPhone 3G,*you're screwed. Your phone cannot be activated. Plain and simple.*

4) If you have an iPhone 4, I have no clue what to do if you're not using an official SIM card. But just for safety purposes, keep the original SIM card that came with the iPhone 4, just in case.*

The reason that it's ideal to activate on the 3G with the old SIM card is because it's an "official" Apple activation, which means there won't be ANY problems with YouTube, Push Notifications, or FaceTime.*

Hope this helped.*

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I unlocked many iphones and even 3g can be activated with an unactivated att sim..they all can.

and even if you don't want or need to activate the phone, you can still get to the home screen. turn on airplane mode and it will stop attempting to activate. did this with 3 iPhone 4's so far

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Well the 3G depends on how you jailbreak it. Jailbreakme.com doesn't support hacktivation, but redsn0w does. I was referring to the jailbreakme.com jb. Redsn0w seems to be able to forever jailbreak the 3G, including hacktivation. I think that's because Apple has simply given up trying to maintain security procedures for that specific device.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
And what in Gods name is the point of having a deactivated iPhone 4? Just buy a damned iPod if that's what you want....

bj.pech

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Please help me if you have succeeded to jailbreak an iPhone 2G deactivated

2) If you're on an iPhone 2G/3G, and DON'T have an officially activated SIM card, you're screwed. Your phone cannot be activated. Plain and simple.*
I hope you are wrong, but at this point I am very frustrated.
My problem:

I bought an iPhone 2G from a friend. It was never jailbroken. It has been deactivated by apple when my friend bought an iPhone 4. I do have the deactivated sim card of my friend. I have a regular ATT phone without a data plan. I want to use my iPhone 2G with my current activated ATT sim (no data plan) a- as a regular phone, and b- as a internet device using wifi. I do not want to buy an ATT data plan.

Using the iPhone configuration utility, I know my iPhone 2G is running the software version 3.1.3 (7E18). The only screen I can currently get on my iPhone is one that requests I connect to iTunes. When I connect to iTunes, iTunes asked me to activate the phone by upgrading my current att plan and buying a data plan, which I do not want to do.

My PC runs Windows 7. I also have access to a MacBook.

I have tried every method I found to jailbreak my phone (using my Windows 7 PC), and they all fail:
1- QuickPwn225-2 crashes when I start it.
2- Redsn0w-win_94 stops saying: "unable to recognize specified IPSW" regarless of which ipsw I try to open: iPhone1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw or iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw

Please help me if you have succeeded to jailbreak an iPhone 2G deactivated with software 3.1.3 (7E18)!

maxburn

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
On the activation front there is something new called SAM (subscriber activation module) that can be read up on the devteam blog. Try that.

Also on the 2g you will get a unlimited data plan that has a pretty low cost, it is automatically added to the contract when they see it on their network. All second hand info to me, should search on this but this is one of the reasons you can't have an iPhone on AT&T without data.

Anyway I think the op info is old, you might just be able to use your new AT&T sim and skip hactivation and SAM.

Or you could unlock and go tmobile, think they allow you to get a iPhone on there w/o data.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
All AT&T phones are locked to AT&T. Depending on the current firmware you may (or may not) be able to jailbreak and unlock the phone so that you can use your UK T-Mo sim. You'll have to read the jailbreak forum to check your next step.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods