Jailbreak newbie needs assistance!

Fantom#IM

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
I jail-broke my ip4 when it was released and then restored because I don't understand how to use the items I have downloaded. I am anxious to use these awesome addons but can't figure out how. Would someone please inform this idiot on how this works and what to do to get these things working? Thanks for any help.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You're probably going to have to be more specific...I can't even tell if you're still jailbroken right now. Can you tell us:

--software version you have?
--is the phone jailbroken OR restored?
--what kind of addons did you want?

Fantom#IM

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Sorry for being vauge, I am jailbroken on 4.0.1, and I want to know what to do to change the theme, springboard possibilities, miwi, FaceTime on 3G, all the fix'ns!!!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok, number one: don't update! If you install 4.0.2 you'll lose your jailbreak.

Everyone has their favorite apps, but some great basics would include SBSettings (gives you a pull-down menu to control all sorts of things you'd otherwise have to go into settings to find--wifi, brightness, task killer, 3g on/off, etc), BiteSMS (lets you text from your lockscreen, among other nice things), and Activator (lets you assign different gestures to different apps--for instance, right now I've got "Double Tap Status Bar at Lockscreen" set to open my BiteSMS quick compose window).

Winterboard is what you'll want to theme your UI, but some of it is still buggy and/or themes haven't been updated yet. My3G is for Facetime over 3G. There are a ton of ringtones and other little tweaks that make it fun; see Make It Mine if you'd like to change your carrier name to something more personal. Most of all it's just fun to poke around Cydia and see what's available. Enjoy!

Fantom#IM

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
What happens after I download; let's say: Winterboard, reboot the phone, and then what? I have downloaded SBSettings and rebooted, and I dont know what to do. No icon, which I am sure there wouldnt be one, but nothing else is different either! Do i need an installer, or an activator? Thanks again for your patience.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't use Winterboard but I'm sure you'll find plenty of info and advice...basically you can search Cydia for different themes/sounds and the majority of those will get applied by Winterboard. (Might be easier just to google "winterboard themes" to get ideas about what you like.)

As for SBSettings, try swiping left to right on your status bar. The menu should drop down with the default toggles already there. You can click on "More" to add/delete the ones you like. For me, Brightness gets used most of all, but they're all pretty handy.

Fantom#IM

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
WOW. Nice. Thanks for all the advice. The SBSetting really had me stumped! After downloading a few more things, its starting to shape up. Thanks again for all your help!!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Glad to help...one thing I forgot to mention is that if you look in your Settings app, you should find Activator already there. (It's part of the SBSettings package, if I remember right.) You can use that to assign different gestures and/or button combinations to all kinds of apps.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73