My gilfriend bought a white iphone 3g unlocked in a pawn shop.
    I took a quick look to check what version had installed and i think it was 3.1.3 but i am not 100% sure. It was working fine, with t-mobile.
    The phone came with contacts and some pictures from the person who sold it at the pawn shop, so i went ahead and used the option to clear all data in it, in the preferences panel.
    The phone restarted, and it took forever displaying the apple logo and the dashed wheel like trying to load up. But thats all it does now. I does not start anymore..

I have both a mac and a PC and i downloaded the IPSW firmwares 3.1.3, 4.0 and 4.0.1 from the links provided on iClarified

I got the pwnage tool for the mac, and sn0wbreeze - redsn0w for pc.. updated to the latest itunes, and build the firmwares with the "easy" mode settings on both platforms.
    Then i try to load the custom firmwares in DFU mode and i get an error message on itunes that says something like wrong firmware selected.

What i am thinking now to try is to restore the iphone with the latest firmware using a virgin update straight from itunes, which will obiously lock the phone to ATT ...but i want to see if the phone is not bricked.
    So the question is... should i try this?
    Can i update to the latest 4.0.1 from itunes and later try again with the jailbreaking apps and unlock it? Or will that block the iphone from jailbreaking and unlocking until a new hack is discovered?
    What should i do?
    Thank you.
    08-10-2010 09:56 PM
    do NOT put 4.0 or 4.0.1 on that 3G! you'll regret it

wait until 4.1, heard positive things about it
    08-10-2010 10:20 PM
    do NOT put 4.0 or 4.0.1 on that 3G! you'll regret it

wait until 4.1, heard positive things about it
    Ok so any clue on how to reinstall 3.1.3? I get the error message on itunes when i try to load it on the phone
    08-10-2010 10:36 PM
    Any chance you did a backup before you wiped the phone?
    08-10-2010 11:46 PM
    @telovoy

Here is a step by step guide how to downgrade back to 3.1.3:

Downgrade iOS 4 iPhone 3GS, 3G to iPhone 3.1.3 / 3.1.2 [How to Guide] | Redmond Pie
    08-11-2010 09:05 AM
    You may have to downgrade your version of iTunes first.
    08-11-2010 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD