jailbreakme.com Jailbreak breaks Skype Multitask

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
Has anyone else noticed that the JB from jailbreakme.com breaks the Skype background operation. I'm talking about the native iOS4 Skype multitasking using the iOS4 VOIP multitask API and 'background' operation.

Prior to jailbreak, I could log in to Skype, then close the App. I'd receive any IMs and any incoming Skype VOIP calls. If I opened the app, it would resume as if it had never been closed.

After the Jailbreak, closing Skype I get logged off. When opening Skype it re-starts, re-logs in. I have to keep the app open to receive any communications.

Seeing as this is very important to me (I was waiting on pins and needles for the new multitasking version to finally come out) I restored my phone to factory and now Skype works again (not jailbroken.)

I guess I'll use my old iPhone 3GS to experiment from now on. Meanwhile I guess I have to decide which is more important, JB or staying logged in to Skype. We use Skype at work and sometimes find it useful to be accessible when I'm away.

Backgrounder was my #1 reason to jailbreak in the first place. Since most apps that need to multi task now do, I guess JB isn't really necessary.
I have a Virgin Mobile pre paid broadband USB stick for the rare times I need to tether and it's pretty cheap to operate, so I guess for tethering it's not necessary to JB unless I need it for the unlimited data plan I have (pretty rare.)

Anyone else try Skype? Does anyone else even care? I've not heard anyone else mention this issue yet. Running it with Backgrounder is not really a good solution for battery drain issues. The iOS4 API is much better for battery efficiency.

Edit:
Shame on me for not searching properly first.
This issue is mentioned here:
http://forum.tipb.com/iphone-jailbreak-unlock/192137-need-some-help-advice-please-read.html
It's an older jailbreak and the older version of Skype but a similar problem where it doesn't play well with Jailbreak. I guess Skype is just never going to work right under a JB. I.m just surprised that JB it "breaks" the native iOS4 multitasking that it supports. I wonder what else it affects.

Last edited:

francolasalsa#IM

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Do you have backgroundern installed ? I had the same problem with ALL ios4 multitasking apps(slacker,gps) I uninstalled backgrounder and all is good now

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I did not. In fact I had nothing installed, just Cydia at the time.
Skype popped up a warning that it's only supported under unmodified OSs then proceeded to refuse to multi task. I just jailbroke my old iPhone 3GS and tried it, and it's fixed! Swooshme was right, the update fixes the issue.

I think it's safe to re-jailbreak my iPhone 4 and be on my merry way.

Thanks Swoosh.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711