Why upgrade my jailbreak ?

gainc#IM

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Have an Iphone 3GS on spirit jailbreak 3.13. Everything works great and I never have any problems. What does 4.01 have that I do not have ? Can someone explain what new benefits I would get by upgrading.

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
People can give you an incomplete list here OR you could just go to the apple website and look for "what's new in iOS 4".

marvi0

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Have an Iphone 3GS on spirit jailbreak 3.13. Everything works great and I never have any problems. What does 4.01 have that I do not have ? Can someone explain what new benefits I would get by upgrading.

Hi am in the same situation as you currently my 3gs is jailbroken using spirit and working flawlessly, and just Today I found out I can also unlock the phone with ultra snow so av got a 3gs on the new bootloader, and it's jailbroken, and till an unlock for 4.0 comes out am holding the out, cause I believe us on 3gs cannot use that face time feature cause we haven't got a front camera, so all stay with 3.1. Software cause I don't really need to multitask, as am too used to the way the Iphone has always functioned with out multitasking. I that's my own personal opinion.

lowridinguy

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
I am also in the same situation as you. I am tempted to upgrade my jb'n 3GS to 4.01 and re-JB but my phone is working perfectly with all the apps and themes that I want. The only thing that tempts me to update is the categories feature and the improved camera features.

Maybe someone that has updated from a JB 3GS running 3.1.2 (3) and has updated to 4.0 and re-jb can provide some insight?

I am also afraid of waiting too long before Apple patches the exploit and then stops signing 4.01.

Thanks!

Apple Ifad

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The biggeis of IOS 4 is Mutiltasking (disappointing) Folders (nicer than catagories) and Spell check. Backgrounder > then IOS 4 implimentation of multitasking.. and if there is a jb app for spell check, then Id say skip it.

TyFresh

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
4.0 just give you some things on the 3gs you wouldn't need to jailbreak for ... like multi-tasking... i like it because the way ios4 uses it, it uses less battery by not backgrounding the whole app...

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The biggeis of IOS 4 is Mutiltasking (disappointing) Folders (nicer than catagories) and Spell check. Backgrounder > then IOS 4 implimentation of multitasking.. and if there is a jb app for spell check, then Id say skip it.

actually, iOS4 Multitasking > Backgrounder

reason: iOS4 looks at MOBILE multitasking as "what needs memory, what doesn't" Remember, in order to keep memory active, you need to use battery life. Keeping all of the app active in memory = more memory usage = more battery usage = shorter batter life. iOS4 has specific multitasking tasks, and more WILL be added in future updates, count on it.

Backgrounder just runs the WHOLE app in the background, no matter what processes of the app actually NEED to run in the background, and which one dont.

Remember, we are working with a mobile device with a battery, not a desktop system with a constant source of power. We have a limited source of power to work with. Skype's iOS4 implementation shows us that even limited multitasking can eat up battery life., yet people think that Backgrounder's FULL 100% app running in the background is "better"?

Priorities.

Digitalspirit

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I asked the same question here and on other forums and most people don't think there is a significant enough reason to upgrade from 3.1.3 to 4.0.x. We already have most of the features of iOS4 with the jailbreak 3rd party apps anyway and whilst iOS4 multitasking may be better than backgrounder according to some, it's still not a good enough reason for me to take the risk of updating and then find that I wish I hadn't. There appears to be a lot of reports of lag and other buggy issues, I think perhaps iOS3 is better suited to the 3GS than iOS4. I will be personally sticking with 3.1.3 on Spirit unless there is a significant reason to update, especially after the responses in my early thread (which I can't link to because I haven't posted 10 times!)

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I am also 3.1.3 3gs w/ spirit jb

the new jb is still..well, new
so I have not made the jump solely because off that reason

Now, I would like to have 4.0 style folders and zoom for the stock camera. Bit those are not strong enough to make me change

Ask me in a week or two (if the new jb leans out) then I might have a stronger urge to upgrade

Mav3n

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I can't say this is THE reason to upgrade, but a number of apps in the app store are optimized for or only compatible with 4.x. Before I upgraded (after jailbreakme), I had more than 20 updates in waiting in the app store. Some of them were 4.0 only and I needed them to survive. So food for thought, eventually you may HAVE to go to 4.x. It may be better to do so now before they close the exploit and you are stuck waiting for another that may or may not come.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2