New backgrounder WOW!!!

nextjeter2

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
The new version of backgrounder allows non 4.0 updated apps to multitask like the updated ones. This is why i love Jailbreak!!! I get angry when i go to multitask and it doesnt work because the app does not support it. Lucky thats fixed now.. and people say jailbreak isnt needed anymore

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The new version of backgrounder allows non 4.0 updated apps to multitask like the updated ones. This is why i love Jailbreak!!! I get angry when i go to multitask and it doesnt work because the app does not support it. Lucky thats fixed now.. and people say jailbreak isnt needed anymore

no, they don't multitask like the updated ones.

The true 4.0 Multitasking API apps use a smaller memory footprint, because they only have to keep a specific task running in the background. Backgrounder prevents an app from closing out, keeping the whole thing running.

It is great having both, but I am manually setting up specific apps to run in the background.

To be honest, after installing Backgrounder, I am still hard pressed to find even ONE app that I want to have running in the background that can't already do it.

nextjeter2

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
@macharborguy actually if you READ the update info It does enable fast app switching with non updTed apps. And it also exaplains this if you go into backgrounder and look at options and click info about the types of backgrounding it explains about how it does. Please know your facts before making a disagreement tht is an incorrect statement. Thanks

nextjeter2

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
@jsc315 if u download ztoggle you can enable multitasking like the new ios devises that will make those apps run in background and save battery compared 2 backgrounder

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
@macharborguy actually if you READ the update info It does enable fast app switching with non updTed apps. And it also exaplains this if you go into backgrounder and look at options and click info about the types of backgrounding it explains about how it does. Please know your facts before making a disagreement tht is an incorrect statement. Thanks

I know what Backgrounder does. It will either allow the whole app to run in the background, or it will allow the "Native Multitasking", ala, the iOS 4.0 Multitasking.

So using Backgrounder on a Multitasking-supported version of iOS4 (3G, 3rd gen iPod Touch, iPhone 4, or if you enabled iOS4 multitasking via jailbreak), Pandora can use "Native" multitasking just like Mail, Safari, etc. Whereas an app that was not updated to use iOS4 multitasking would simply run completely in the background, since Backgrounder has no API integration with the app in question.

What YOU are talking about is the enabling of "Fast App Switching", where it freezes the App when it goes to the background. I have tested this on a few apps, and actually, this "feature" of Backgrounder breaks a few apps. AOL Radio doesn't support Background playback of music, but it does support resuming when you return to the App (not specifically "Fast App Switching"). When Backgrounder is turned on for AOL Radio and you exit the app, the music keeps playing. When you return to the app, it stops playing and then attempts to resume the music.

And the memory usage footprint on Backgrounder'd apps still appears to be there, "Fast App Switching" compatibility or not.

So back to my original point, I see far fewer reasons to need Backgrounder. I will still keep it "just in case", but for the most part all that I need in the background running can do that now (Pandora, Navigon).

The app that I DO have running in the background with Backgrounder, however, is GV Mobile+ so it can continue to update in the background.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2